Currie for the rats?

No, not curried rats… Currie for rats!
Has anyone tried using Currie Powder as an attractant for rats?

I know there are various combinations of attractants called “blaze” used to attract rats into traps, flour mixed with a little aniseed, or flour mixed with a little icing sugar, sprinkled around leading rats to a baited trap, or bringing them to a specific place like at the end of your shooting range in your garden, but, has anyone ever tried using Currie powder?
Have you had any success or failures?
IMG_5698.jpeg

Sweet calf feed? I used to feed it to my young feeder rabbits to finish them quicker. I also fed it to nursing does. Worked for me. I think the "secret ingredient" was molasses. Try that "cut " into some flour like you would into dough when making a pie crust. Should make a great attractant on its own but try adding a little anise just for good measure. I can imagine all kinds of rodents being attracted with those ingredients. Be Well Brothers, 'dito

I bait traps with peanut butter. Works great. The consistency is what makes it work. They can't rob the bait off the trigger. I suppose they like the taste too. Who wouldnt?

They like parmesan cheese sprinkled around. When they get cagey about the trap a sprinkle of parmesan will always get another one or two. A teaspoon broadcast over an area creates a good smell. Drives them wild.

Never tried curry. It's got a wicked smell. It would probably work.

Whenever I've shot rats over bait I got more on a route to the bait than at the bait. If you shoot over bait you scare them off. If you shoot on an approach route around the corner they just keep coming. If you allow a couple to get at the bait they get a little feeding frenzy going. They fight and fuss. They become decoys.

We always tied 4-5 ears of corn on a string so they couldn't run off with it. Then hunted the other side of a wall and shot them on the approach. You could hear them fussing over the corn. You had good action every few minutes as others came around. As soon as you shot over the bait it would take 15 min or more for another one to show up.

Last edited:
Sweet calf feed? I used to feed it to my young feeder rabbits to finish them quicker. I also fed it to nursing does. Worked for me. I think the "secret ingredient" was molasses. Try that "cut " into some flour like you would into dough when making a pie crust. Should make a great attractant on its own but try adding a little anise just for good measure. I can imagine all kinds of rodents being attracted with those ingredients. Be Well Brothers, 'dito
Dont know if they still make it but a horse guy I knew when younger fed his horses a sweet feed that had molasses in it, smelled good enough to eat.. He had a big problem with rats getting in it.

Reactions: Bandito
My wife feeds wild birds. She uses a seed mix by the Audubon Society. A part of that mix is Sunflower seeds.
I never see whole Sunflower seeds make it through the night. They are always left as splintered black shells. It seems very attractive to the rodents.
If I were to mix something together,... I'd definitely mix in Sunflower seeds.

Dont know if they still make it but a horse guy I knew when younger fed his horses a sweet feed that had molasses in it, smelled good enough to eat.. He had a big problem with rats getting in it.

It is good to eat. And nutritious too. We used to eat it all the time at the dairy. Mom got it hot and put cream in it. Defreakinglicious. She even made muffins with it.

Nowadays feed molasses and sweet feed usually has vitamins and other stuff added. You probably wouldn't want a gutfull unless you were giving milk or being ridden regularly.

Molasses is a great idea for rats. It's super sticky. Smells to high heaven. You can't get it all off a surface. Even when you do it still smells.

A cob of corn with molasses on it tied to the fence would make super rat bait. Maybe even sprinkle a little curry on it....

Reactions: DeanB