Customized Crosman Extreme Field Target Pistol

Folks gearing up for the birth of Extreme Pistol Field Target in early June was excuse enough to get my Crosman customizing juices flowing (again). It occurred to me I already have a good candidate for make-over into an EPFT pistol, a lovely custom carbine cobbled together from Ebay purchases from sources far, wide, exotic, mysterious... and some, questionable! For instance, the gorgeous custom stock that I already glued back together once broke again as I was removing it; the stock-maker having used too light and weak wood for a gun stock. But I bet it will do a better job of burning in my fireplace!

2240 HPA carbine.1651341520.jpg

Since the carbine had developed a slow leak anyway, I had good excuse to increase the reg pressure while going inside to fix the leak. Unfortunately I could get only a quarter-turn increase in the reg adjustment, not enough to achieve the 20 foot-pound EPFT power limit I sought from the 14-7/8" barrel whacked from an already whacked 16" Crosman barrel I had lying around (the EPFT barrel length limit being 15"). Chopping and re-crowning of the barrel went well enough that the finished pistol is shooting near 1" five-shot groups at 50 yards in incessantly gusty winds (since the carbine to pistol make-over).

HPA TFT pistol.1651341555.jpg

A 220 BAR fill returns 38-40 well-regulated shots. 18.1 grain JSBs are the right ammo for EPFT.

18.1 grain FX (branded JSBs), 10 shot string- Low= 625, Hi= 630, ES= 5, SD= 1.4, Average= 626 FPS/15.8 Foot Pounds.

I can no longer find the source of the regulated PCP conversion kit used, but if it's any help the source is in Thailand (via Ebay at one time).

The broken stock maker is apparently still making beautiful stocks for airguns, hopefully now from woods suitable for the purpose. No, I don't recall the name.

Looks like it'll do the trick!

I do know the stock maker. I recently tried to comission almost this exact stock, and they declined stating the design was too weak. So I settled for a different design. I believe I have another of their stocks made of the same wood, but with the revised construction/design. This is the most recent made of walnut.

275634850_10159738822689034_2460257380062806755_n.1651377278.jpg

Yes, the scope is a 3-12X UTG Bugbuster. Neat little scope, laden with features. Doesn't seem to range-find accurately enough for AAFTA Pistol FT; not a problem for Extreme PFT since each target distance is provided. Thicker cross-hair than I'd like for precision rifle shooting, but again, okay for pistol work. Interestingly enough, the multiple aiming dots on the thick reticle are barely wider than the crosshairs, making them difficult to discern when shooting by spotlight (about the only time I have light enough winds to shoot air pistols at 50 yards). Nevertheless, when zeroed at 35 yards, this pistol shoots spot-on the second dot down at 50, and between the second and third dots at 55. That'll be handy for EPFT. 

I've visited the stock-maker's site a few times Dallas, but never found anything actually available. Do (really) like the new design, and I'm ALL ABOUT Walnut! That's a gorgeous rig you have there! 

Thank you. That gun is a lot of hand fitting, tuning, luck, as well as community collaberation. The maker actually even makes custom stocks I have seen on possibly a bottle converted qb78? And maybe another gun? Sometimes he lists pre-made ones on ebay (usually for 22xx or p-rods). Sometimes on his site, but is always willing to make them if you ask. The first one I got was for a crosman 13xx and was marked down on ebay.

I do know the stock maker. I recently tried to comission almost this exact stock, and they declined stating the design was too weak. So I settled for a different design. I believe I have another of their stocks made of the same wood, but with the revised construction/design. This is the most recent made of walnut.

WOW, I really like the looks of this set-up. VERY nice stuff. I almost want to try to make a similar stock type. where would I find the time though...

WOW, I really like the looks of this set-up. VERY nice stuff. I almost want to try to make a similar stock type. where would I find the time though...

You, sir, are my favorite grip maker.

No one compares to the fit of your grips.

Make one, a stock, yes, and I'll buy it.