Daisy daisy 747

Pistol is cocked, bolt open. There is resistance when opening the lever, then it will almost close by itself when you let go. If you hold it open for 30-45 seconds it will pressurize almost like normal. I have been using these pistols for about 25 years, haven't run into this before. Most of the time failures are leaking seals so they won't pressurize, this is opposite.

if the piston head is adjusted right the piston head Oring comes pass the slot so air can refill the cylinder
if you pull the cocking handle forward and then cock the pistol it should charge the pistol
i have many 7-7 pistols and rebuilt them to the point i can do it in my sleep
i have at one point remember this happened to me but disappeared and never figured it out
the pistol cannot create a vacuum when breech is not cocked, and the handle is being moved forward because the valve is being held open
take it apart reassemble and test

so, the problem you are having in theory can not happen

the charging handle has more resistance with the breech is cocked but the breech doesn't need to be cocked till after the charging handle is moved forward

i have had a 717 in hand trying to get what you have but it will not

odd problem

Did you by chance replace the valve stem with a new stem? The new stems have a different shaped delrin seal from the originals. I sometimes get blow by when trying to charge it with a new stem in an old valve. The new delrin seal is round and the cold one is slightly cone shaped. The old style is obsolete. You must replace the whole assembly if going with a new style stem if it leaks. The charging handle will just flop and not charge. A lady at daisy told me about it,

the handles are the same, the pivot point is the same, it has no real choice but to be out of the tube
for most of us that have these pistols the 717-747 rear sights are next to impossible to find and to repair them is a waste of time because how they are made
i have been tooling with the idea of using a Ruger handgun rear with a filler block 5/8-1/2 is close for the block
here is a picture of the block, not perfect and the sight just held in place
i would just epoxy
it is just an idea and steal if you like
a 3D printed filler piece would be quicker
the sight is dead nuts the width of 5/8 but the block is 1mm to wide as such the clamp shells will how it in place and can be moved up and down but it is that 1mm width that has me still thinking
is it a perfect fix no but it is proof of concept
SAM_0609.JPG
SAM_0610.JPG
the sight on the block
SAM_0606.JPG

the handles are the same, the pivot point is the same, it has no real choice but to be out of the tube
for most of us that have these pistols the 717-747 rear sights are next to impossible to find and to repair them is a waste of time because how they are made
i have been tooling with the idea of using a Ruger handgun rear with a filler block 5/8-1/2 is close for the block
i would just epoxy
the sight is dead nuts the width of 5/8 but the block is 1mm to wide as such the clamp shells will how it in place and can be moved up and down but it is that 1mm width that has me still thinking

It was done 15+ years ago , I manufactured sight sets for the Daisy 747 for use in Handgun silhouette . They used an adapter in the rear to fit a flat bottom Bomar sight and a hooded adjustable front post
IMG_0094.jpeg

They dominated the production class in silhouette. For standing we used the same setup but put a Williams adjustable rear peep sight on the rear mount and a clear aperture in the front globe. Later the Crosman 1701P became legal for the Production class and most of the shooters switched to the Crosman. I then built sights for the Crosman as below.
IMG_0097.jpeg

Bomar rear sight would be the way to go
never seen a flat bottom Bomar but a mill would take care of that
the 2 tools that a man with imagination needs, a mill and a lathe
Bomar ( no longer in business) and champion both made a flat bottom version of their sights. But you could mill the sight bottom flat. I have also milled the T/C contender sights flat and used them. They are not as repeatable as the Bomar or Champion. The Daisy 747 were very accurate with the improved sights on them, dime sized targets at 54 feet were often used for shoot-offs And hit with regularly. The Crosman 1701P that replaced them were not more accurate but were easier to shoot. Slightly better trigger, faster lock/barrel time, flatter shooting with more velocity and the lack of having to pump the gun each time before shooting.

Look here,
No wiper, but you could probably make one out of a piece of foam. A few years ago someone had some kits that used split, flat teflon washers in place of the foam. I think it took five of the washers to fill that slot. Put a couple of drops of silicone oil on it and it keeps wiping the cylinder with oil for a long time. I have not seen those in a long time. I did probably 7-8 guns for myself, son and grandson.

i would just epoxy
View attachment 395070View attachment 395071 the sight on the block View attachment 395069
How about this one,
actually made for the Crosman 2240 series. Could make a filler block, aluminum or mild steel. Need to cut a dovetail but that can be done with a coping saw( with right blades) and files. Make a few measurements to get hight correct so you could have a decent range of adjustment for the sight's elevation adjustment. It would not extend back and probably look more like the original. There seems to be a lot of adjustable handgun sights that could be adapted with a little ingenuity and some handwork.

About 18 months ago I was looking for one to rebuild for my grandson. Found several on ebay, and ordered one, not highest price nor lowest, but from pictures looked good. When I got it the sight was broken, and it was obvious the gun sent was not the one pictured. I immediately challenged it and it was sent back at sellers expense for a refund. I then found another.

I have a couple of the 747's, but for most of my use I opted for the more robust 777. They have what I think is one of the best rear sights on a target pistol, no matter the age or price

Last edited: