Daisy powerline 717

I am from the UK. A Daisy powerline 717 was my very first air pistol.I found the side lever easy to cock and also the bolt single shot. Loved to use it with .177 hobby wadcutter pellets. Great fun and very accurate…… I liked the way the pellets cut cleaner holes in the target unlike Diablo shaped ones. I regret selling that pistol but used the money towards a smith and Wesson 586 .357 red ramp front sight white outline rear sight, when we were allowed pistols in the UK. Sad to see that they are not made anymore And I didn’t know if they were made in any other calibres other than .177.

I am from the UK. A Daisy powerline 717 was my very first air pistol.I found the side lever easy to cock and also the bolt single shot. Loved to use it with .177 hobby wadcutter pellets. Great fun and very accurate…… I liked the way the pellets cut cleaner holes in the target unlike Diablo shaped ones. I regret selling that pistol but used the money towards a smith and Wesson 586 .357 red ramp front sight white outline rear sight, when we were allowed pistols in the UK. Sad to see that they are not made anymore And I didn’t know if they were made in any other calibres other than .177.
Yes, easy to cock and good shooters. They did make a model 722, same gun but .22 cal. They also made a model 747 and 777, both with adjustable triggers and a Walther Lothar barrel. The 777 was the pinnacle of the series with wood target grips and a nice metal rear sight with a unique feature. The notch width is screw adjustable. The internal power plant is identical on all 4 models.

Strangely the .22 didnt really work out in this model. A .22 barrel i tried in similar volume guns, namely HW45 and HW40 both got a good 350fps (3.2ftlbs) territory but sadly a 722 barely got 300 fps.
Closer inspection revealed a smaller valve volume, which made no difference in .177 (comparable 380-400 fps) probably due to the extra barrel length of the Daisy equalising the larger valve of the aformentioned, but not enough volume to keep the bigger bore pellet accelerating up that longer barrel (my conclusion)
Probably the most quiet .22 of all time i should think, meaning it had no spare air left to crack after the pellet left the barrel….always a good indicator the gun is working at its max and the reason why the 490 fps Baikal 46M was at its limit.

Don Nygord, apparently out shot a FWB 65 with the 747 version…enough said.

For peeps thinking of buying the 717, or going the extra for the 747, the 747 Lothar barrel is only worth having if you are going to take the trouble to shoot RWS Meister wadcutters, because the much deeper rifling grooves of the Lothar barrel suits these pellets over the 717. However, regular domes lose a bit of power to this deep rifling and prefer the 717

Adjusting the piston head so that it dead heads perfectly will record 400fps with RWS out of a 747.

I have been adjusting my piston per Daisy recommendations. What do you mean by dead heading and how do you do this.

ok its fine adjusting the piston, but it needs adjusting until its just about touching the bulkhead face on closure…(dead heading)
Its easy enough adjusting piston back and forth but to get it within about 0.1mm of that face is quite a test of patience…the difference between 0.5mm and 0.1mm is night day to the performance.
The key however, is to not over adjust it and risk straining the pivot pin because its touched the bulkhead face before actual closure of the arm.

Putting a scope on makes accuracy go up like a rocket. And, after cataract surgery, open sights are No Bueno. Did I buy a mount off Midway? Maybe eBay, but it worked like a Big Dog. A 2x20 scope is fitted, and now I shoot my 747 out to 25 yards. That is the maximum at the local range, but maybe a bit further could work.
I have been looking for a mount, but none available now. Some venders show that they may have a Sun Optics mount in 4-6 months.

Professor,

The Daisy Powerline 717 is a real "sleeper." Looks like a run-of-the-mill pellet gun, then performs like a pro. I bet Don Nygord raised a few eyebrows at the range, showing up with a Daisy. Would have liked to see the look on their faces when he began to shoot. Thanks for bringing us this story, the close-ups and operational instructions. I've added this to my Wish List. WM
His modifications worked wonders for the gun, sadly I could never figure out how he changed the sights, I know he did and with what, just didn't understand how. I've had mine for 6 decades. I did figure out a way to tighten up the stock sights, a bit of o-ring wedged in stops movement but still allows adjusting for windage and elevation.