Daystate, BSA, or Air Arms

Looking at my first higher end rifle to buy in a few months(hopefully) after I pay the IRS their blood money for the year.

Anyhow, I'm more interested in carbine size guns, so I'm wondering what's everyone's input on these fine British offerings?

I'm currently thinking the daystate revere, BSA Ultra CLX, or an Air Arms S410. Caliber will be 22 only, not interested in those little 177s and I've got 25 covered.

I had a BSA ultra jsr for a couple months and loved the action, I just couldn't use it well due to the tiny grip area. I could barely get 2 fingers on it and it was awkward. I actually enjoyed the rear bolt on that gun, so the AA s410 with a rear bolt would be fine.

So who has these and who likes which better? Give me a rope and harness to drop only so far into the next rabbit hole!

Thanks all!

Reactions: Stone02
Will list my pro/cons for each that I've owned or own in those categories...

S4xx Carbine.... great all around, doesnt do any one thing exceptional, but does everything great.
BSA Ultra.... The older Ultra I had was limited on shot count, as with all BSA's I've owned. Bit heavier than comparatively sized guns. Exceptional accuracy
Revere... I had the Huntman Classic... Think S4xx carbine with a bit more refinement and slightly better shot count. I also liked the ergonomics of the Huntsman better.

Of the three, my choice would be the Daystate, followed by the S4xx and then the BSA.

So how loud are these guns without a moderator? That adds to the length of the gun which starts to turn me off. Also not wanting a 12 fpe rifle either. That BSA I had was 11.5 fpe for 50 shots and dead on accurate so I'm leaning that way. If I come across an ultra se I would get it anyhow if the price is right and still get one of the others.

I do have a liking for the dreamline classic also, but I dont wanna get called a fanboy!

Out of the three, I would go with the Revere. If you had the AA s510 XS carbine as a choice, I would go with it. I have both and I feel the AA S510 has a slight advantage.
Didn't know it came in carbine version. Trying to keep my OAL under 40" with a moderator. Have a couple guns I've built that are shrouded and under that length, but I eventually want a nice quality gun I could eventually heirloom to the family.

Didn't know it came in carbine version. Trying to keep my OAL under 40" with a moderator. Have a couple guns I've built that are shrouded and under that length, but I eventually want a nice quality gun I could eventually heirloom to the family.
Hugget Atom (3.5") would get you there, barely, with the Revere (36.5").

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein

Someone like @Motorhead would know best, but I wonder if a BSA Ultra can be brought up to 16-17 fpe in .177 without ruining the shooting experience. What power level are you looking for?

Also, this is my petition to be your nephew. 🤣

Hmm... the main issue I have with airguns is the AOL unless it's a bullpup and I'm pretty much over them. Have one I'm keeping.

Even carbines are long, especially with the mod.
Haven't any experience with the Atom, but have heard good things about it (& Huggett in general). @CTairgunner1288 had good things to say about the Atom on one of his rifles.

Another possibility- "semi" bullpups. Can vouch for the Cricket Mini Carbine being a good one. Only ~31", & shrouded.

Another for the Daystate >>> Only if wanting to have a grab & shoot rifle. The adjustablity is nil, no mod parts or a rifle you really want to start altering.

BSA ... Nope, old school tech, not very efficient and a weak receiver to main tube mounting ... In this situation a PASS

AA 500/510... Very nice rifles, tho again old school & Solid. If they make the 510XS in a carbine ? Sweet rifle being it is regulated, side cocking, LW barrel & retains AA build quality threw out.

Just thoughts ...

Haven't any experience with the Atom, but have heard good things about it (& Huggett in general). @CTairgunner1288 had good things to say about the Atom on one of his rifles.

Another possibility- "semi" bullpups. Can vouch for the Cricket Mini Carbine being a good one. Only ~31", & shrouded.

I found the Atom worked REALLY well on rifles that had an integral suppression setup on them from factory but not well on others that did not have a factory shroud/suppressor.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfmangreg
Pyramyd Air has them, $1499.00 for walnut and hundred less for poplar. The AA needs a $40.00 double male DonnyFL adaptor for a moderator. The Revere from AoA comes with a OdB 110s that sells for $130.00. As Motorhead pointed out, the Revere is not easy to adjust the power. The AA has a power adjuster.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein