Daystate Daystate Huntsman Revere In .177 With Slugs?

Coors

Aug 15, 2024
Before commiting to buying a Revere in .22, I'd like to know if anyone has been successful getting .177 slugs to shoot well with a Revere. I watched Dana Webb's video where he gets a headshot on a moving jackrabbit @ 60 yards, with a 10.3 grain pellet, but I'm very aware of how fast those relatively light pellets shed velocity/energy and how they're prone to big amounts of winddrift. Is it possible to get slugs with their higher BC, say 15 grain NSAs, to shoot around 970fps using both regulator and HST adjustments and if so will they be accurate out to 100 yards?

You will not get them to shoot that fast without major modifications. I tried slugs in mine and stayed in the 10-13 gr range. Too slow to really be worth the trouble. My 10 gr pellets are going agout 900 fps and the 13s were under 800. If you want to sling heavy slugs I would look elsewhere.

@Joedirt199 Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply and for letting me know your findings. Did you ever try turning up the reg and hammer spring to tune it? I know that you're probably saying that it'll need porting and other mods that I'm not familiar with, yet, because my only 2x PCP airguns so far are both Airforce, with the inline valves. But it just seems that this air rifle which is capable of 40fpe in .25 should be able to get .177 slugs moving faster those numbers that you shared, without too much effort... or so I'd like to think. My first PCP airgun was/is an Airforce Talon .25 that is now a .257 and is setup semi-bullpup with 16" TJ's liner barrel and tuned all the way down (the power wheel set to 0) is shooting 68.08 grain bullets (slugs) at 880fps avg. for 4-shots (874, 882, 880, 880) and groups 1 1/4" at 100 yards. I did all the work myself (I have a lathe) and I'd really like to think that getting 30 fpe out of the Revere in .177 is not just a fantasy, but... maybe it is.

@Joedirt199 Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply and for letting me know your findings. Did you ever try turning up the reg and hammer spring to tune it? I know that you're probably saying that it'll need porting and other mods that I'm not familiar with, yet, because my only 2x PCP airguns so far are both Airforce, with the inline valves. But it just seems that this air rifle which is capable of 40fpe in .25 should be able to get .177 slugs moving faster those numbers that you shared, without too much effort... or so I'd like to think. My first PCP airgun was/is an Airforce Talon .25 that is now a .257 and is setup semi-bullpup with 16" TJ's liner barrel and tuned all the way down (the power wheel set to 0) is shooting 68.08 grain bullets (slugs) at 880fps avg. for 4-shots (874, 882, 880, 880) and groups 1 1/4" at 100 yards. I did all the work myself (I have a lathe) and I'd really like to think that getting 30 fpe out of the Revere in .177 is not just a fantasy, but... maybe it is.
Reveres arent fx or anything elese they are what they are nothing more

Thanks to all for replying! If I'm understanding correctly then I should just accept the Reveres for what they are and not try to modify them into something that they are not designed for, because I'd run the risk of ruining a beautifully engineered air rifle. If i need more power/longer-range then just get the .22 caliber model and be content with it shooting JSB 16 and 18 grain pellets. Okay, that seems reasonable to me!

@Dr. Kralenstein Thanks, that's good info to know. .218? Is that the normal bore size for Daystate's .22 LW barrels?
Dunno, never slugged it. It seems to prefer pellets in the 5.52mm head size, so that should mean it likes .217. I tried some NSA 17.5 and 20.2 in .217 and they shoot like crap.

I haven't ventured any further down that rabbit hole since it stacks hades/atomics, brarcudas, baracuda hunters, polymags, norma FT heavies, and HN terminators. Haven't even tried crosman in it yet.