Daystate LC-110: Dead at 1195 minutes

I'm heated. My compressor seized up on me this morning. Heard the notorious sound if marbles rattling for about 5 seconds, and then heard it completely seize up. I shut off the motor right away, but knew the pump was toast.

The CE750 oil started off ok, but it quickly turned grey/green and sticky just like the 157 did. I changed it 3 times since making the switch, letting it run for a while without building pressure, which would allow me to top off my 97cu-ft tank a couple of times before it just got nasty again.

Before it seized, the pump / motor would hang when my tank got up to 4100PSI. That had happened to me a while ago on a few occasions (when it was cold / winter), but the compressor would run smoothly thereafter. 

After the ALL the problems that I had with the Daystate compressors, I would not recommend that anyone roll the dice with them!!! 

Reactions: Ctkny
I'm heated. My compressor seized up on me this morning. Heard the notorious sound if marbles rattling for about 5 seconds, and then heard it completely seize up. I shut off the motor right away, but knew the pump was toast.

The CE750 oil started off ok, but it quickly turned grey/green and sticky just like the 157 did. I changed it 3 times since making the switch, letting it run for a while without building pressure, which would allow me to top off my 97cu-ft tank a couple of times before it just got nasty again.

Before it seized, the pump / motor would hang when my tank got up to 4100PSI. That had happened to me a while ago on a few occasions (when it was cold / winter), but the compressor would run smoothly thereafter. 

After the ALL the problems that I had with the Daystate compressors, I would not recommend that anyone roll the dice with them!!! 

Any chance of dealer help? Have you given them a shout out yet even if it's no longer under warranty? Yo

Sorry to hear about your Daystate developing problems. I vaguely remember that about a year ago a member here reported that his Daystate had been replaced by the vendor three times when bought new but there were still problems. Was that you ?

Yep, that was me.

AOA replaced mine ONCE at their cost. I’ve been using mine very sparingly. I believe the units are just not up to pressures over 4000 psi. It would be interesting to know the cause on this one. Never told on mine. If I have to buy another compressor it’s going to be a Bauer or a airetex

Yep, I've heard this from dealers too. Not meant for 4500psi nor regular duty cycle. Would have been nice to have that advertised before I sunk $2400 into it. AMEX might have my back on this, but we'll see.

I have a second pump unit that I need to swap in, but I'm only going to run it until I score a Bauer.

I suspect that the other compressors in that price range are the same. 4500 PSI and especially for.LARGE SCBA tanks is just too much for these machines.
That Airetex direct copy of the BAUER might be a possibility.
Good luck with this and like a lot on this subject we’re learning on the fly. I feel for the dealers too. Bad thing for most of us no local service. Shipping a hundred lb compressor or even a 25 lb end gets pricy.

These Alkin compressors are definitely a better made machine for a few dollars more. Mine tops off a large 106cu/ft tank in 6-7 minutes without breaking a sweat. they are industrial grade equipment made to run 8 hours a day. Definitely worth looking into.

1590747430_8769166545ed0e1261624d7.10811285.JPG

This is pretty surprising to me. 

I have a Bauer Utilus 10 that has been running perfectly since 1985 with on basic interval servicing. It's only a year younger than me and happily fills to 300bar.

The only thing I've ever sent it in for is to get it changed from a petrol to electric motor so I could run it indoors and not have to carry the thing outside every time I want to use it. Well worth the saved lumbar discs 😂

Either way it looks like I'll stick with bauer if/when I eventually get a new compressor. Maybe an Alkin as they seem really reliable too.

I try to tell people but everyone wants a deal. Spend thousands on guns but spend $500 on a compressor. 

Alkin is the best deal out there. There available at NSA. Just contact for info. Here is a 2020 vertical 3.7. Has wheels 

1590765424_5694610015ed127704ef955.18192229.jpg

I just bought the same unit(W31 Mariner Vertical) at Alkin. Spoke with Aydin and he got me squared away. FYI this is a 220 unit. If you want 110v you will need the horizontal version with a 30 amp breaker.

Im stoked can’t wait till next week..

good bye Daystate, Hello Alkin

mtnGhost I am so sorry to hear this. Do you think the CE-150 caused premature failure/wear until the CE-750? This really really sucks for you, 19 hours in and it's broken. I've got 8 hours in on mine -- just filling 90cu-in tanks.

Man, this really stinks, almost from the get-go you've had nothing but problems -- I recall way back when you and I were discussing the rusting issues and oil leaks as well.

Sorry man, I hope everything gets made right in the end without a lot of frustration and hassle.

@mtnGhost

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble with your compressor. We are equipped with parts and training to do repairs. If you wouldn't mind reaching out to us, we would be happy to get your compressor back up and running. The factory is constantly improving their designs and we will be able to bring your compressor up to the latest configuration when service is performed.

Daystate America

480-539-4750

Yes, AireTex is still in business, but not affiliated with Alkin like they used to be. The AireTex Mini Magnum is a direct copy of the Bauer Junior II. I bought one a month ago, and so far it’s been great. For $2495 it’s a very good deal, tops off a regular (45 min or 66 cu ft) SCBA tank from 200 to 310 bar in 6 to 7 minutes. That’s about 3.2 SCFM. It’s 220vac, and draws about 12 to 13 amps. Highly recommended. The Alkin compressors are also very good, but much larger and heavier. 
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/airetex-l110-mini-magnum-compressor/

1590776427_2986003265ed1526b8f2c41.68505137.jpeg

What the issue boils down to is poor piston ring fit!!!

When stage 2 and 3 sets in then most all crank case fed lubricity is blown down from the pressure side due to poor ring fit.

Pistons with little to no lube is a path to desaster (fast).

Oh and to toot my horn: The altaros booster.

Never failed and with superb support. Will do 4500psi all day long for weeks on end. All depends on your shop compressor.

What the issue boils down to is poor piston ring fit!!!

When stage 2 and 3 sets in then most all crank case fed lubricity is blown down from the pressure side due to poor ring fit.

Pistons with little to no lube is a path to desaster (fast).

Oh and to toot my horn: The altaros booster.

Never failed and with superb support. Will do 4500psi all day long for weeks on end. All depends on your shop compressor.

Not yet. 

But I know someone that has one and doesn't use it anymore. Worked good for awhile but then became a problem. Was obviously bad enough that he went out and bought a compressor.