N/A Daystate RedWolf, or Skout for extreme field target and benchrest?

I’m looking to get a gun for both extreme field target and benchrest. Having a hard time making up my mind and would like some advice from the pros. It’s a big purchase for me. I’ve narrowed it down to a Redwolf, or Skout Evo. Seems like the Redwolf has been dominate in extreme field target years past. Do the Skouts perform well in an extreme field target layout? I’m new to the sport, so sorry if I’m asking dumb questions.

I’m looking to get a gun for both extreme field target and benchrest. Having a hard time making up my mind and would like some advice from the pros. It’s a big purchase for me. I’ve narrowed it down to a Redwolf, or Skout Evo. Seems like the Redwolf has been dominate in extreme field target years past. Do the Skouts perform well in an extreme field target layout? I’m new to the sport, so sorry if I’m asking dumb questions.
You would do better with a Ghost or Deltawolf. This is because the "one gun" approach is quick to swap barrels, springs, reg pressure is way easier with these particular platforms. A .25 Cal barrel is prob your best bet for EFT. and a .22 Cal barrel for BR. IMO. one gun two barrels and just 3 tools and 10 minutes to change over. I have owned each of the platforms you are interested in and now am focused on the Ghost for the reasons stated.

You would do better with a Ghost or Deltawolf. This is because the "one gun" approach is quick to swap barrels, springs, reg pressure is way easier with these particular platforms. A .25 Cal barrel is prob your best bet for EFT. and a .22 Cal barrel for BR. IMO. one gun two barrels and just 3 tools and 10 minutes to change over. I have owned each of the platforms you are interested in and now am focused on the Ghost for the reasons stated.
From what Ive read the skout is very easy to change calibers as well.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I think switch barrel guns are a neat idea but not ideal. BuT I would at least get a 25 or 30 in whatever gun you like and leave it alone once you get it setup and shooting how you want it. I never shot benchrest but have done eft and like in bench 25 or 30 is the dominant caliber. The Redwolf is a great gun and I have had a 177,22,25 and no longer do. If I was still doing FT I would still have the 177. You will need a programmer for the red wolf or get a heliboard(never had one). I just bought a used epoch in 30 to try at 100yd bench and will probably use it for EFT as well. If you want a RW prices just went up for new. There is some used 22hps for sale here in the classifieds.

1st question is.... Do you want to compete? If so, you will probably need 2 rifles, one for each discipline. They are two entirely different sports. If you just want to play around and shoot very well and enjoy yourself, you can get by with one rifle. But if you want to truly compete, I don't know anyone that shoot both with the same rifle that are consistently up near the top of both sports. If you only have funds for one rifle presently, I would figure out which sport you like the most or which are shot the most near you and get a rifle for that. And then tinker with it for the other sport.
A Thomas is probably the best gun that could serve you well for both sports if you are serious about competing.
P.S. I myself prefer a gun without all the electronics in it so I would steer more towards the Ghost but if you like the electronics go with the Red Wolf. I would own a Thomas if I liked shooting that style of rifle, but I enjoy a more traditional wood stock type of rifle. I really like and shoot my RAW's and you could shoot both very well with one of those but you didn't mention them as an option. Best of luck on your quest and be sure to let us know once you decide.
Thx
Dan

Reactions: cavedweller
1st question is.... Do you want to compete? If so, you will probably need 2 rifles, one for each discipline. They are two entirely different sports. If you just want to play around and shoot very well and enjoy yourself, you can get by with one rifle. But if you want to truly compete, I don't know anyone that shoot both with the same rifle that are consistently up near the top of both sports. If you only have funds for one rifle presently, I would figure out which sport you like the most or which are shot the most near you and get a rifle for that. And then tinker with it for the other sport.
A Thomas is probably the best gun that could serve you well for both sports if you are serious about competing.
P.S. I myself prefer a gun without all the electronics in it so I would steer more towards the Ghost but if you like the electronics go with the Red Wolf. I would own a Thomas if I liked shooting that style of rifle, but I enjoy a more traditional wood stock type of rifle. I really like and shoot my RAW's and you could shoot both very well with one of those but you didn't mention them as an option. Best of luck on your quest and be sure to let us know once you decide.
Thx
Dan
I do want to compete. I really like the electric guns. With a background in paintball they really interest me. Sounds like I gotta get both! Lol

I got my Daystate Redwolf Safari HP in .25 a couple weeks ago. I love it! I found pellets that shoot extremely well out of it. The 3 preset power levels are all I need. Battery life? Lasts for months. Truly outstanding gun. Can't stop shooting it!
I did consider the Skout, RTI Prophet 3, BRK Ghost and couple of other great guns. Just got tired of tuning and fiddling. The Skout hasn't been around as long as the Redwolf, so my choice was obvious. NO REGRETS HERE! It would make no sense to drop the coin on a high end gun if you're only gonna plink or hit targets at 30 yards. There ARE a lot of guns that can fulfill short distance accuracy for less $$.
Good luck! Hope you work it all out...

I’m among those who say one gun for both events is not the best solution. You’ll have one gun that’s just average. I would pick one of the two disciplines and get the best rifle you can afford. Then practice and learn. After you’ve made some progress, and it will take some time and work, look into the other. Get a second rifle just for that when you can. Then practice and learn. Building these skills can be frustrating at times but mostly it’s a lot of fun.

Rick H.

Reactions: Rizz01
Well, I will go ahead and put my two cents in there. I have been in competition really heavy for 2 going on 3 years. I absolutely love competing. Here is also a couple of my thoughts on the matter and things to consider.
Both the RW and Skout are electronic which I like a lot. I have competed with the RW .25 as my main battle sword for a long time and I absolutely love it especially with a PRS chassis on it. I am hoping to have a Skout Evo really soon to shoot and I would get it in .25 as well. The thing with .25 vs .30 is for me pellet price. I like to shoot ALot! So shooting a bunch of .25 is easier on the pocket book for me than .30. In the past .30 has not had a good BC but with the new AEA pellets we are seeing the .30 come out ahead in the realm of accuracy and BC stats. That brings me to my next point. If you go with .30 I would personally not get a RW. They are amazing guns in .25 and .22 but I feel they may lack the power and shot count even with a big 700cc bottle on it. Especially if you are wanting to shoot the AEA 50 or 45 gr pellets at speeds faster than 890-900fps and get a decent shot count. I Love EFT and have done well in it and I always point people to the .25 pellet. But again if you want the .30 for bench then I would definitely get a .30 Skout evo with one of the new Submoa barrels they have coming out soon. I am hoping to get a Evo in .25 with the new Submoa barrel soon. One last do you prefer bullpup or traditional rifle?

I’m among those who say one gun for both events is not the best solution. You’ll have one gun that’s just average. I would pick one of the two disciplines and get the best rifle you can afford. Then practice and learn. After you’ve made some progress, and it will take some time and work, look into the other. Get a second rifle just for that when you can. Then practice and learn. Building these skills can be frustrating at times but mostly it’s a lot of fun.

Rick H.
Yeah, I’m gonna compete in both and see which one I like best. May be better to focus on one discipline.

Well, I will go ahead and put my two cents in there. I have been in competition really heavy for 2 going on 3 years. I absolutely love competing. Here is also a couple of my thoughts on the matter and things to consider.
Both the RW and Skout are electronic which I like a lot. I have competed with the RW .25 as my main battle sword for a long time and I absolutely love it especially with a PRS chassis on it. I am hoping to have a Skout Evo really soon to shoot and I would get it in .25 as well. The thing with .25 vs .30 is for me pellet price. I like to shoot ALot! So shooting a bunch of .25 is easier on the pocket book for me than .30. In the past .30 has not had a good BC but with the new AEA pellets we are seeing the .30 come out ahead in the realm of accuracy and BC stats. That brings me to my next point. If you go with .30 I would personally not get a RW. They are amazing guns in .25 and .22 but I feel they may lack the power and shot count even with a big 700cc bottle on it. Especially if you are wanting to shoot the AEA 50 or 45 gr pellets at speeds faster than 890-900fps and get a decent shot count. I Love EFT and have done well in it and I always point people to the .25 pellet. But again if you want the .30 for bench then I would definitely get a .30 Skout evo with one of the new Submoa barrels they have coming out soon. I am hoping to get a Evo in .25 with the new Submoa barrel soon. One last do you prefer bullpup or traditional rifle?
I honestly like bullpups and tradition rifles the same. I feel like I shoot traditional rifles better off sticks for field target though. I’m heavily invested in .25cal pellets, so that’s what I’m going to stick with. The redwolf has been out for so long it seems tried and true. I was looking at past EBR scores and it seems to dominate in extreme field target. It’s a hard decision for me between the Evo and Redwolf.

If you like Electro guns... I would go with Skout simply for their experience. Skout released the FIRST electronic paintball gun in 97. They have a 20-year head start over other air gun manufacturers.
If you have a problem, Skout WILL talk to you. Daystate will tell you to call AOA and kick rocks. European customer service seems to be light years BEHIND the USA customer service.

Whichever route you go I'd recommend picking 1 caliber and sticking with it. While changing calibers is a neat option; you're going to spend A LOT of time getting your FT gun perfectly dialed in (velocity, scope, dope, etc.) and changing calibers negates all your hard work for that discipline.

-Michael

I honestly like bullpups and tradition rifles the same. I feel like I shoot traditional rifles better off sticks for field target though. I’m heavily invested in .25cal pellets, so that’s what I’m going to stick with. The redwolf has been out for so long it seems tried and true. I was looking at past EBR scores and it seems to dominate in extreme field target. It’s a hard decision for me between the Evo and Redwolf.
a .25 RW can easily handle both disciplines