Diana 60 Tyro...perfection by committee

A bit of history to begin:
+ 1963: DIana's model 60 introduced. First of their double-piston, recoilless Giss-system rifles.
+ 1968: Model 65 supercedes the 60 as Diana's top match rifle. Locked breech, heavier barrel sleeve, better stock, internal changes.
+ 1974: Model 66 replaces the 65. Very same action in a revised stock with more angular styling.
+ 1977: Model 75 replaces the 66. Fixed-barrel, sidelever-cocking, sliding-breech benchmark of recoilless springer awesomeness.

BUT...throughout all this, the model 60 refused to die! It remained as Diana's budget / junior match rifle until about 1983. Along the way, it saw some minor changes. This is a Tyro-stocked, US-import, RWS-marked model 60 manufactured in 1982:

I picked up this beauty many years ago at the old Roanoke airgun show. The action and stock looked great, but the seals and springs were toast, and the gun was "naked" - no sights or barrel sleeve. Over the years, and with the help of some pals, I managed to track down all the right bits.

1: The basic gun.
2: Internal rebuild by former Beeman technician Randy Bimrose. 680 FPS+ with light ammo, Randy said it was the hardest-shooting 60 he'd ever seen.
3:* Correct late double-sleeved front sight bought at another airgun show.
4:* Correct Diopter 75 sight with English markings found on the infamous auction site. Most 60's had the earlier, more rounded Diopter 60 sight.
5: Lovely matte-finished eye disc and rubber cup, another gun show find.
6:* Weird front trigger blade, in a bag of parts I got from a German auction. This is not a double-set trigger...just a way to adjust the reach to the trigger blade!
7:* But here is the "piece de resistance:" the correct, matte-finished barrel sleeve. Most 60's had a blued sleeve, these late matte ones are some true "unobtanium!" This is the only one I've ever seen in person, and to say the least I'm pretty stoked to have it! Thank you kingfisher61!

* Late detail that "trickled down" from the 65/66 action - not seen on most model 60's.

I will save blabbing about some of these details for another post, but here's some detail pics. These old DIanas are IMHO quite underrated as collectibles - the metal finish, oil-finished wood, gorgeous checkering, and other details are just superb.

Last edited:
All kinds of interesting aftermarket accessories are made for match sights. A common setup back in the day - and in place on this gun - was to use the rear sleeve to secure the usual flat metal post or ring insert, with the front one holding a 1.5x "eagle eye" lens to clarify the target bull.

Last edited:
I found my 60 Tyrolean a few years ago luckily when prices were a bit more sane than they are today. I'd hate to try to find another!
190 Diana 60 Tyrolean.JPG

190 Diana 60T.JPG

I'll show my lack of knowledge on this but how does the two trigger work? Bet its a bear to set up.
It's not a double-set trigger; the front blade has no function other than as an adjuster for finger reach.

The Diana models 60, 65, and 66 all have the same trigger. It's excellent - VERY light and crisp, with several adjustments, but the blade cannot be moved. Their main competition in those days (Anschutz 250, FWB 300, Walther LGV) all had blades that could be slid fore-and-aft and/or tilted.

The front auxiliary trigger is Diana's answer to this. It's a thin hollow sheet metal blade that simply screws to the front portion of the plastic main blade. So, if the original reach to the blade is too short, you just bend this thing around to whatever position you desire. Again, there's nothing to set up, it's not connected in any way to the mechanism's internal parts. Laughably crude...looks silly...but it works, LOL!
IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg

The threaded hole for mounting the auxiliary blade was added for the model 65 in the late 1960's. Model 60's made before that do not have it, but late ones like mine "inherited" it. Note the slot in the auxiliary blade, so that (in theory at least) you can access the two adjuster screws in the main blade.

Last edited:
Reactions: muddydogz
I’ve always wanted one of those: 60 or 65 or 66. More of all a 60. It is a beautiful rifle. The checkering is generous and nice!

It is noteworthy that almost every vintage gun, that you can see as “complete”, has a long story behind of how all components were obtained from different sources. It is rare that one can find a “complete gun” with all its correct parts, as a single purchase...

As usual MDriskill, thanks for the education!!
Rodrigo.

Reactions: MDriskill
70305xx I think it's late 70's...
Thanks Mike! On the 60-series match rifles, Diana seems to have used the first two digits of the serial, to duplicate the year of production, with the other five digits being sequential for the model (?). My 60T is dated 08 82, with serial 8236926. I also have a 60M dated 06 67, with serial 6723015. So yours was likely made in 1970.

I have seen a couple examples where these numbers differed by one digit though! I suspect the receiver tubes were stamped and tossed in the part bin when they were made; so this may indicate the breech block and receiver tube were done on opposite sides of New Year's Day, LOL.

Last edited:
MD
As always you have enlightened us all. The D60 T turned out perfectly. Happy I could be a small part of the narrative. I hope she provides you with many years of recoilless shooting.
What an epic story!

JC
Thank you again JC!

Just for grins, here is the 1982 RWS model 60 Tyrolean next to my HyScore-marked, basic Match model from 1967. Front to rear, note the M's single-sleeve front sight, polish blued barrel sleeve, single trigger blade, Diopter 60 sight, and non-sliding buttplate (which is not original; the OEM red one crumbled and was replaced during a rebuild).

Also note that the 60T's butt is shorter and has more drop than the standard one, giving the shooter a more close-in and head's-up stance. This is typical of Tyrolean designs.

IMG_3428.jpeg

Last edited: