Discovery HD 2-12X24 SFIR FFP. A little experiment.

I would buy a third one of the Discovery HD 2-12×24 scopes before another Vector Veyron 3-12×44, based on factory direct sales and quality, reticle choice and size, overall size, and value for the money. There's a little less light transmission on the 24mm front lense versus the 44mm but it is negligible for the use. With both scope's at minimum power, the reticle of the Discovery HD is much bigger and easier to see and use. The Vector, at all ranges is smaller and thinner.

That might be so — I have never considered buying the Vector Veyron 3-12x44 FFP....
Because it lacks the thick outside posts on the reticle (that guide the eyes toward the center of the cross when the crosshairs are thin due to minimum magnification).

However, I highly recommend the Discovery version and the USO version of the same scope — both having the thick outside posts:
● Discovery VT-3 3-12x44 FFP
● US Optics TS-12X 3-12x44 FFP

Matthias 👍🏼

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
That might be so — I have never considered buying the Vector Veyron 3-12x44 FFP....
Because it lacks the thick outside posts on the reticle (that guide the eyes toward the center of the cross when the crosshairs are thin due to minimum magnification).

However, I highly recommend the Discovery version and the USO version of the same scope — both having the thick outside posts:
● Discovery VT-3 3-12x44 FFP
● US Optics TS-12X 3-12x44 FFP

Matthias 👍🏼
The only trivial thing that I did not like about the larger magnification scope, is that it does not parallax down to or well below 10 yards. The 3-12×44 is definitely a 10 meter (11 yards) and above parallax, whereas the small 2-12×24 will parallax down to 5 meters (6 yards).

I would buy a third one of the Discovery HD 2-12×24 scopes before another Vector Veyron 3-12×44, based on factory direct sales and quality, reticle choice and size, overall size, and value for the money. There's a little less light transmission on the 24mm front lense versus the 44mm but it is negligible for the use. With both scope's at minimum power, the reticle of the Discovery HD is much bigger and easier to see and use. The Vector, at all ranges is smaller and thinner.
Do you think the optical quality is different? The edges are a bit blurry on Veyron, how is it on Discovery and is the field width the same?

Do you think the optical quality is different? The edges are a bit blurry on Veyron, how is it on Discovery and is the field width the same?
Hard to say on optical quality. I think the Discovery HD glass is advertised as better. I can say for certain that the HD is decent glass. The field of view between the two different 44mm scopes are probably the same within a foot or two. The smaller 24mm scope is definitely narrower and less light shows through after dark.

Reactions: yamaha
I would add, that since Vector first released the Veyron models, there has been a second generation to come out that has much thicker reticles than the first models. You have to go to their website and read the data table for each model's reticle that you like. In my case, I got the first gen sfp 3-12 and the reticle is too thin and gets lost in the woods easily. The new numbers read much better but I haven't actually seen one yet.

Vector [has] released a second generation [...] that has much thicker reticles than the first models. You have to go to their website and read the data table for each model's reticle that you like.

Thank you, that is very helpful output. I will head over to the website today and update my Scope Spec Tables accordingly.

It is unfortunate that the manufacturers of guns, pellets/slugs, and scopes do not posess the courtesy to inform their buyers that they are bringing out a different product under the same name. They should be distinguishable.

Matthias

To jump on the Discovery bus, I recently ordered a pair of 6x24 scopes. I don’t have high expectations, so I hope they fall above that. At the very least they will go on my 2240 and Notos that I loan out to friends to try and get them hooked on AG’s. Price has gone up to $71 now.

IMG_7762.png

Most likely made by the same factory just to different specs. I would be surprised if the lense coatings were different. Basically the only difference would be cosmetics ie, turrets, reticle, company markings. If the reticle is too thin for you on low powers, stick to SFP scopes where the reticle stays the same size through all powers.
I don't think that the Discovery Optics factory is the same as the other scope manufacturing facilities we have seen brands built in. I say this based on my research of their business history and accolades awarded to them by their fellow countrymen. That's not to say that they don't manufacturer scopes under contracted specs for other brands. Discovery Optics could be top dog over there doing that.

To jump on the Discovery bus, I recently ordered a pair of 6x24 scopes. I don’t have high expectations, so I hope they fall above that. At the very least they will go on my 2240 and Notos that I loan out to friends to try and get them hooked on AG’s. Price has gone up to $71 now.

View attachment 492766
I love fixed power scopes and the price is right, I just wished that I needed it, luckily I missed the back-to-school deadline pricing, or I would have bought it anyway. Lol!

• Haha
Reactions: Florida_Man
Funny thing is that I bought one of these just for the size, for my GK1 pistol, and knew immediately it was too much scope.
It's going on a Taipan compact
This LPVO, does have a small footprint, but is still big for a GK1 in pistol form being as long as the shroud. A red dot with a few holdover hash marks would be ideal on the GK1.

I ordered this low profile cantilever mount made by Monstom from a Amazon today. We'll see how it does on a long picatinny rail similar to yours.

I can't find detailed measurements for that mount. Do you know if it will fit on the 2-12x24?

I assume with that slightly larger diameter objective end there is limited mounting space.

I can't find detailed measurements for that mount. Do you know if it will fit on the 2-12x24?

I assume with that slightly larger diameter objective end there is limited mounting space.
All I could go by was the picture on the Monstrom/Amazon web site that showed the low profile unit. It is 1" from the centerline to the rail. And it looked like it may be narrow enough to fit between the ocular and objective bell's on the short scope. We'll see in a few days and I will let you know.
Screenshot_20240911-115706~2.png

All I could go by was the picture on the Monstrom/Amazon web site that showed the low profile unit. It is 1" from the centerline to the rail. And it looked like it may be narrow enough to fit between the ocular and objective bell's on the short scope. We'll see in a few days and I will let you know.View attachment 495327

I just did a quick measure of the image above with my calipers and set up a proportion to estimate the outermost distance of the two rings on that mount.

Did the same with an image of the scope between the objective and ocular bells.

With some very quick math, I think it will fit but look forward to what you find.

I just did a quick measure of the image above with my calipers and set up a proportion to estimate the outermost distance of the two rings on that mount.

Did the same with an image of the scope between the objective and ocular bells.

With some very quick math, I think it will fit but look forward to what you find.
Here's some specs for you to get a feel for objective and ocular bell clearances and the like on the Monstrom 30mm Ultra-low Pro Series mount...

4.00O" to the outsides of the clamps
2.500" space inbetween the clamps
0.400" from the bottom of the scope tube to the rail.
It has about 0.250" back and forth adjustment/movement on the Discovery HD 2-12X24, without having mounted it.

Last edited: