Discovery HD 3-12x44 FFP

Caliber 22

Nov 29, 2023
SA
All but one of my scopes are Hawke. After some recommendations and reviews I saw I bought a Discovery scope. The glass is not as good as they said it was and nowhere near that of Hawke which is a budget scope itself. That is not my big concern. The problem is that when I adjust for elevation, sometimes the windage change as well and vice-versa and after a shot or two it reset as it should be in the first place. Hawke does not have that problem and adjust quite accurate. Just after I got the Discovery scope I saw somebody tap his scope with the handle of a screwdriver after he adjusted his scope, some German brand I cannot remember the name of. When I asked him about it he said he saw other people do it so he does it as well, they just told him it is best to do it because of that problem. Then I did the same tapping after adjusting and it definitely helped so that only the elevation or the windage adjusted when turned and not the other.

Next time I will stay with Hawke and I don't think I will buy another Discovery scope. The only problem I have with Hawke is that all my scopes are Mil-Dot reticle but the turrets are all MOA, Mil-Dot turrets are so much better together with Mil-Dot reticle. Why-why-why? Luckily Strelok can be set to compensate for that and I almost always dial according to Strelok results and seldom hold over.

I'm surprised about your results with the Discovery. I'm not able to afford high end scopes but my 2 favorites are my Hawke Sidewinder 6x24x56 & my Discovery VT-Z. The glass on both is very crisp but I actually prefer the feel of the Discovery turrets. Honestly, other than VERY slight adjustment while zeroing in I rarely use them. I'm a holdover/under shooter. I currently have 2 guns set up for clicking, one gifted to me & one on loan for the summer. They've convinced me to do the same with my holdover guns (NEXT stage of the learning curve). Guess I'll find out how good my Hawke & Discovery are when they're put to that test.

Ignorance is a choice. Stupidity, an affliction!

I've always been pretty happy with Hawke scope, especially the Airmax. But lately I've been using Vector Veyron scopes. I have a 3-12X and a 10X both compact and am duly impressed with them. I routinely use them out to 100 yards and my only complaint is I wish I'd sprung for the illuminated versions, but everything else is super. Bright, clear and track perfectly.
Also, the SWFA Super Sniper scopes are fantastic. The 10X and 12X are very clear and track fantastic. They're truly hard to beat. I'm learning I almost never change the power on variables, so I'm liking the straight power scopes.

Last edited:
especially the Airmax
All but one of my Hawke scopes are Airmax and I do like them for the price.
I routinely use them out to 100 yards
I use my Hawke scopes up to 200 meter with the air rifles & .22LR and to 500 meters with center fire rifles.
I wish I'd sprung for the illuminated versions
The Discovery is a illuminated scope and I did try the illumination a few times but I don't like it. Never being a fan of illumination on any scope.
I'm learning I almost never change the power on variables
I use the zoom function when hunting small game and pigeons for the wider field of view, which is unfortunately not often. When target shooting it is always on maximum zoom.