DNT Optics ThermNight TNC225R

@Pfddi With the 0 MOA I was at the max which I think was -98 at 18 yds and still not zerod. With the 20 Moa which added an additional 1/2" of height I'm now "-11" on the Y
For some reason I've always had to shim every one of my digital/night Scopes on my air guns. They've always all shot too low. It's never taken much more than a small thin piece of brass to get it close to zero elevation. I have found that most of these night Scopes are not very airgun (magazine loaders) friendly for mounting. I wish somebody would come up with a better mounting system for airguns, like one that doesn't push the scope back so far. A simple mount that mounts the scope directly above the part that mounts to the rail would be nice.

@Coinwa - If you notice on the picture of mine above, I have the 0 MOA mount. I simply added 2 pieces of cut soda can on top of each other at the rear of the mount to add some lift and that made the difference. Not sure what the MOA is on my EVOL magnon, but the 2 pieces cut the Y axis down to 1/4 and now my reticle centers at all powers.
Thanks for that.

I noticed that it centers up well along as I’m not using base magnification.

I’ll shim it, but on the Notos it’s still way right…. I think it’s because of the way it needs to be mounted to allow the magazine to fit in the gun.

It zeroed pretty easily on the DAR .22, but the reticle is still lox/left on base mag.

I’ll try it on the Uragan shortly.

Seems like a decent unit, I really want to like it.

@Coinwa - If you notice on the picture of mine above, I have the 0 MOA mount. I simply added 2 pieces of cut soda can on top of each other at the rear of the mount to add some lift and that made the difference. Not sure what the MOA is on my EVOL magnon, but the 2 pieces cut the Y axis down to 1/4 and now my reticle centers at all powers.
These Evol rails are already machined with a bunch of moa cant in them. I can see why other's are having issues with other guns needing an moa canted mount. But would using DNT's 35 moa mounting rail work better on the Evol to center things up?

Last edited:
I’ve sighted in a half dozen different thermal and IR optics…. this one is giving me fits. It would have been a more enjoyable time if I’d have beat myself over the head with it.

I’m done with it tonight, maybe I’ll play with it tomorrow, maybe I’ll send it back. The non-centered reticle of base power is a deal breaker for me. If that can’t be remedied, I’m out on it.

I really want to like it, it has some great features…. but as I said earlier in the thread…. there’s still some kinks to work out.

I’ve sighted in a half dozen different thermal and IR optics…. this one is giving me fits. It would have been a more enjoyable time if I’d have beat myself over the head with it.

I’m done with it tonight, maybe I’ll play with it tomorrow, maybe I’ll send it back. The non-centered reticle of base power is a deal breaker for me. If that can’t be remedied, I’m out on it.

I really want to like it, it has some great features…. but as I said earlier in the thread…. there’s still some kinks to work out.
The non centered reticle at base is not a kink its been present on the zulus for over a year. The reason behind it is to give the most FOV at base magnification. It's the same as many thermals and some other brand NV like the wraith line, the Pard 008p and S and the agm rattler line of scopes. What others kinks are there?

Appreciate the offer Brawler… but adding height with an additional adjustable mount isn’t appealing.

I’d rather work on shimming it. I’m sure it’ll be fine on the bullpups with full rails. It’s tough on any of the guns with a split-rail and magazine slot mid-ship.

If nothing else, I’m sure it’ll work fine on the .223 or 6 Creed for coyote work.

It’s not really designed for air rifle work… I think that’s why I’m having trouble.

Thank you to those who helped me out on the thread and via PM.

After getting creative with some scissors and a PBR can, I got it shimmed up pretty well and centered enough on low power. The largest part of the problem was the caddywhompus plastic pic rail behind the action on the Notos, that’s why it worked fairly well on the other guns.

Once I moved it to the front rail, and got the correct number of shims (2), things started falling in place quickly. These units are clearly made for the powder burning crowd (and it will be used in that application too)… so some experimentation will be in order for PCPs.

Headed to one of the dairies tonight to see if we can find some rats or roosted pigeons. Once it get used to how it runs, I’ll throw in on the .30 and go look for some coons, opossums, and skunks. Coyotes get a pass from me until October.

Film at 11… fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
…. The largest part of the problem was the caddywhompus plastic pic rail behind the action on the Notos, that’s why it worked fairly well on the other guns.

Once I moved it to the front rail, and got the correct number of shims (2), things started falling in place quickly. …

I had the same issue as you, but using the front rail (mostly) fixed it.
As extra measure I put a green laser all the way up front on the Notos’ rail.
So whenever I start a shooting session I turn on the laser briefly, and check if the laserdot and the reticle are aligned In the vertical. If not, (which happens sometimes if the gun has been laying on it’s side, because the scope is then contacting the surface) a quick wrenching movement of the scope with my hand will align everything back into the vertical. This is really just a Notos quirk due to the plastic picatinny rail. I have a Zulus on my Ghost as well, and on the metal picarail it is immoveable.

Last edited:
Anyone shim the windage on one of these?

I had to add a couple thin shims to the front of the pic rail clamp on the left side, in order move POI to the right a couple inches.

Also, what sight height are y’all running in the app?

Ocular lense is at 3” above bore, but objective lenses is about 1”-1.2” above that. Seems like I needed addition sight height to make the ballistics match.

Last edited:
Anyone shim the windage on one of these?

I had to add a couple thin shims to the front of the pic rail clamp on the left side, in order move POI to the right a couple inches.

Also, what sight height are y’all running in the app?

Ocular lense is at 3” above bore, but objective lenses is about 1”-1.2” above that. Seems like I needed addition sight height to make the ballistics match.
Ballistic Calculation is measured using the top digital lens I usually see 4"- 4.25". Are you saying not made for airguns because of the spilt mag? I find the split mag a pain like my BRK's but my flat tops are no issue. For this I am trying to get the extended mounts in as i would like more reach on the split rail systems.
20240720_170052.jpg
20240720_172051.jpg
20240720_165044.jpg
20240720_161733.jpg

Thanks Brawler… 4” is where everything jived well on the .30 Uragan this afternoon.

I’m not saying they won’t work, and work very well, on air rifles…. I’m saying the set-up will require a little extra diligence on an air rifle. The ranges are very compressed, which means you need to use a lot of adjustment to move a small amount.

I ended up needing to shim something or other in order to get stuff to end up near center on base magnification on all four rifles I tried it on. Right now, it’s at -71/-73… which is centered enough.

Yesterday, the recoils activated recording worked great on the .22 DAR… but today I can’t get it to work at all, on any of the guns.

Do you know what that could be?