DNT Optics ThermNight TNC225R

The ThermNight TNC225R is being launched under DNT Optics ( Day & Night Technologies). DNT is derived from the prior successes of the Arken Zulus but with new ownership, management and team.

As many of you know I have been on a personal quest to find the best scopes for hunting and pesting. There is something about the digital scopes that pulls me in. The ones that I have tested have been the Pard 007, Pard 008p, Wraith HD 2-16, Wraith 4K Max, Wraith 4K Mini, Pulsar Digex c50, Accufire tr1, ATN 4K Pro, sent back the series 5 four times before I gave up, Oneleaf NV400, and last but not least the Zulus. I spent a lot of time with the zulus over the last year. I have helped others learn how to use it and answer any questions I could. My work and effort into helping others while also learning the product was recognized. I've been given an amazing opportunity to join the DNT team.

Now to the good stuff…the ThermNight TNC225R is a multispectral scope that has a thermal scope, with a digital day and digital night scope in one unit. On Top of that you will see the built in IR light and LRF with the option for ballistics when it's paired with the DNT app. Having all this packed into one unit gives you the benefits of thermal and digital images in one package. Thermal will spot your targets fast but having the option to ID that target faster with your digital image is amazing. It uses a flat top 18650, 32GB of built in storage, an IP67 rating and can withstand the recoil of a 50 BMG.
20240718_235539.jpg

The Zulus is one of my favorites for a few reasons: compact size, everything built in, and it’s lightweight even with all the features it has. It is coming in with a weight of 22oz which includes the mount and battery. The ThermNight TNC225R follows that same lightweight trend and is only around 6oz more with a total weight of 28.50oz (including the mount and a battery). For a size comparison I added a picture below of both units side by side.
20240719_000551.jpg
20240719_001639.jpg
20240719_001912.jpg

Since it is two scopes built into one unit you will need to zero both the digital side and the thermal side. By doing this you will now be able to take a shot with the thermal or the digital day or night. A short press of power freezes the image just like the zulus. Zeroing is much faster when you use the screen freeze. In that zeroing menu you can choose 1 of the 5 reticles available as well as your color preference. Available reticle colors are Red, Black, Yellow and Green. Below is a short clip of the zeroing menu, reticle colors and reticle options.

Next is a look at the menu layout in the device

Next, we have the buttons and their functions attached. I also added a real picture of what you will see on the scope.
Screenshot_20240719_012615_Drive.jpg

20240719_012256.jpg

Since the ThermNight is a multispectral scope you will have the option to have the thermal as your main viewing screen or with a click of the side button you can make the digital image your main screen. After that you will have the option to turn on the PIP (Picture in Picture) mode and this will allow you to run both images at the same time, one in the main viewing screen and the other in the PIP window. You will be able to choose the location of the PIP window. Upper center, upper left or right corner. For me I like it in the upper left corner.
VideoCapture_20240719-014510.jpg
VideoCapture_20240719-014444.jpg

I have personally been using this device on my BRK Atomic in .177 which is set at 10fpe. Having a view of both the thermal and the digital all in one lets me get on target faster than ever. For me what I will do is scan with the thermal as my main screen while the digital is in the PIP, once I see the pest I’m after I swap it to have the digital in my main screen to take the shot.
20240617_232733.jpg

In this next clip the you will see a heat signature of a canine at 145 yards with just the thermal that's all you can tell you would need to wait to see behavior to identify if it was a coyote. I go through the modes and than show the digital image and bam it was a clearly a dog yes it was a friend's dog and the ThermNight was mounted only on my tripod but you get it all the other clips below will show similar scenarios.

If you made it this far in my review be sure to use brawler10 for a 10% off and any of your purchases.

Last edited:
The ThermNight TNC225R is being launched under DNT Optics ( Day & Night Technologies). DNT is derived from the prior successes of the Arken Zulus but with new ownership, management and team.

As many of you know I have been on a personal quest to find the best scopes for hunting and pesting. There is something about the digital scopes that pulls me in. The ones that I have tested have been the Pard 007, Pard 008p, Wraith HD 2-16, Wraith 4K Max, Wraith 4K Mini, Pulsar Digex c50, Accufire tr1, ATN 4K Pro, sent back the series 5 four times before I gave up, Oneleaf NV400, and last but not least the Zulus. I spent a lot of time with the zulus over the last year. I have helped others learn how to use it and answer any questions I could. My work and effort into helping others while also learning the product was recognized. I've been given an amazing opportunity to join the DNT team.

Now to the good stuff…the ThermNight TNC225R is a multispectral scope that has a thermal scope, with a digital day and digital night scope in one unit. On Top of that you will see the built in IR light and LRF with the option for ballistics when it's paired with the DNT app. Having all this packed into one unit gives you the benefits of thermal and digital images in one package. Thermal will spot your targets fast but having the option to ID that target faster with your digital image is amazing. It uses a flat top 18650, 32GB of built in storage, an IP67 rating and can withstand the recoil of a 50 BMG.
View attachment 480906

The Zulus is one of my favorites for a few reasons: compact size, everything built in, and it’s lightweight even with all the features it has. It is coming in with a weight of 22oz which includes the mount and battery. The ThermNight TNC225R follows that same lightweight trend and is only around 6oz more with a total weight of 28.50oz (including the mount and a battery). For a size comparison I added a picture below of both units side by side.
View attachment 480907View attachment 480908View attachment 480909

Since it is two scopes built into one unit you will need to zero both the digital side and the thermal side. By doing this you will now be able to take a shot with the thermal or the digital day or night. A short press of power freezes the image just like the zulus. Zeroing is much faster when you use the screen freeze. In that zeroing menu you can choose 1 of the 5 reticles available as well as your color preference. Available reticle colors are Red, Black, Yellow and Green. Below is a short clip of the zeroing menu, reticle colors and reticle options.

Next is a look at the menu layout in the device

Next, we have the buttons and their functions attached. I also added a real picture of what you will see on the scope.
View attachment 480916
View attachment 480917

Since the ThermNight is a multispectral scope you will have the option to have the thermal as your main viewing screen or with a click of the side button you can make the digital image your main screen. After that you will have the option to turn on the PIP (Picture in Picture) mode and this will allow you to run both images at the same time, one in the main viewing screen and the other in the PIP window. You will be able to choose the location of the PIP window. Upper center, upper left or right corner. For me I like it in the upper left corner.
View attachment 480918View attachment 480919

I have personally been using this device on my BRK Atomic in .177 which is set at 10fpe. Having a view of both the thermal and the digital all in one lets me get on target faster than ever. For me what I will do is scan with the thermal as my main screen while the digital is in the PIP, once I see the pest I’m after I swap it to have the digital in my main screen to take the shot.
View attachment 480921

In this next clip the you will see a heat signature of a canine at 145 yards with just the thermal that's all you can tell you would need to wait to see behavior to identify if it was a coyote. I go through the modes and than show the digital image and bam it was a clearly a dog yes it was a friend's dog and the ThermNight was mounted only on my tripod but you get it all the other clips below will show similar scenarios.

Matt, this is a superb write-up! Even though I told you a few days ago that I have all the NV scopes that I need and won't buy any more, YES I want this IF I can get a good discount code. As you know, having bought 3 Brocock/Brk in past 2 weeks, I 'm"airgun broke". By the way, it was your comments about your Atomic that caused me to buy one and then IT caused me to buy two Commanders, one XR and one XR Mangum, all in 5.5mm

Matt, this is a superb write-up! Even though I told you a few days ago that I have all the NV scopes that I need and won't buy any more, YES I want this IF I can get a good discount code. As you know, having bought 3 Brocock/Brk in past 2 weeks, I 'm"airgun broke". By the way, it was your comments about your Atomic that caused me to buy one and then IT caused me to buy two Commanders, one XR and one XR Mangum, all in 5.5mm
Thank yes I try and stay passionate and straight minded but this one is exicting for sure. If you spin the wheel there is a discount code. Not sure how many are left but if you can try and get your hands on one.

Do they have plans to offer higher sensor resolution on the thermal side of things?

For the price this looks like a winner. It surprises me how cost effective night vision and thermal are becoming.
That's the plan be competitive and come out with higher resolution stuff in the future.