DNT Optics ThermNight TNC225R

Received mine today. Am I the only one that has noticed that the website advertisement claims the display is 1920x1080 resolution, but the manual says 1024x768??? I'm hoping the manual is wrong as that is a big difference in resolution. I bought this assuming the clarity of the display would be the same as the Zulus. I'm going to be very disappointed if the manual is correct...
Screenshot 2024-07-25 192224.png

Screenshot 2024-07-25 192341.png

Received mine today. Am I the only one that has noticed that the website advertisement claims the display is 1920x1080 resolution, but the manual says 1024x768??? I'm hoping the manual is wrong as that is a big difference in resolution. I bought this assuming the clarity of the display would be the same as the Zulus. I'm going to be very disappointed if the manual is correct...
View attachment 482935
View attachment 482936
1024x768 is the resolution since thermal is brought into the mix now it is what's being used in the thermal world to display the image.

The resolution on the thermal shouldn’t be nearly as critical on this optic, seeing as it would primarily be used as a scanning/locating device… then switching to IR for heat source identification/engagement.

I run an iRay G35 thermal optic, and a Wraith Mini for my IR optic. It would be nice to replace both with one rig for one gun.

I’m intrigued, but waiting on a few more field reports.

The resolution on the thermal shouldn’t be nearly as critical on this optic, seeing as it would primarily be used as a scanning/locating device… then switching to IR for heat source identification/engagement.

I run an iRay G35 thermal optic, and a Wraith Mini for my IR optic. It would be nice to replace both with one rig for one gun.

I’m intrigued, but waiting on a few more field reports.
I 100% agree fast location and tracking with the thermal and identification and engagement as you said all in one device.

1024x768 is the resolution since thermal is brought into the mix now it is what's being used in the thermal world to display the image.
If this was a thermal only scope, and if the website properly advertised this as having a 1024x768 display (website clearly had 1920x1080 prior to today), it might be acceptable. But this is a "combo" scope with both thermal and regular night vision. I can't speak for everyone, but when the website said this scope had a 1920x1080 display, that was the deciding factor for me, as I was expecting this to have the same night vision clarity as the Zulus. I would not have ordered this if they had properly posted the display specs.

I see that they fixed this today on the website, but wonder how many other people ordered this scope expecting the display to be 1920x1080 as advertised.

Is the image quality in the display seriously lacking, or are you simply concerned about the discrepancy in advertising?

I agree that the false advertising is BS…. but does the scope fail for you in practical application?

I ask, because the resolution on the videos posted looks solid enough for night work in IR mode.

I got one in yesterday. Executive summary: very good. The menu has improved and the zeroing (I only did the IR - thermal today) was easy and quick. Setup was very quick and I used the iOS app to load the ballistic table over to the scope. Nice feature to be able to move the PIP to left , middle or right - I moved mine over to the left immediately. Viewing quality is the same if not a bit better than the my Zulus LRF. Haven't played with the reticles yet but first impressions are that they are larger than my Zulus (left my Zulus at home so I can't directly compare....) First hunt will be my telltale on the scope and hopefully that will be in a few days.

If this was a thermal only scope, and if the website properly advertised this as having a 1024x768 display (website clearly had 1920x1080 prior to today), it might be acceptable. But this is a "combo" scope with both thermal and regular night vision. I can't speak for everyone, but when the website said this scope had a 1920x1080 display, that was the deciding factor for me, as I was expecting this to have the same night vision clarity as the Zulus. I would not have ordered this if they had properly posted the display specs.

I see that they fixed this today on the website, but wonder how many other people ordered this scope expecting the display to be 1920x1080 as advertised.
The error on the website was just that an error and we do apologize for that. As for the NV the Resolution still is 1920x1080. It is just the display screen that is not. This was to optomize the thermal imaging. If you are not happy with the unit you do have 30 days to return it. There is alot of tech in this device and really do see a use for it. The goal here is to make all users happy and satisfied nothing else.

Thanks for clarifying Brawler.

Lower resolution in the display doesn’t seem to be a huge issue either, as the screen is only a couple inches in size.

Has that been your experience with this unit?
I haven't had any issues with it. For the price I think it's a awesome combo. When you compare videos it's even hard to tell. Alot of the stuff I do is shoot at 20x so right of the bat it's going to be different than others. A lot of the videos in the UK I watch on the zulus the image is clear but they are on base magnification. Weather plays a huge part too I just try and get honest videos out like the ones in my review. Straight clips from the scope

Reactions: ToddGeddes63
My honest opinion of this scope: If you are knowingly buying this scope as having the 1024x768 display, and your main use is as a night scope, you will likely be happy with it. Personally, I was wanting it for a day and night scope, as I have the Zulus, and the Zulus with the 1920x1080 display serves well for that purpose. There is a very obvious difference (to me) with the displays on these two scopes. This was the first thing that I noticed when I powered it up, which led me to the spec discrepancy on the website.

Kudos for the manufacturer to fix the website error as soon as they realized the error. I'm sure most will be happy with this scope and it's features at this price range. I have been debating for a few days as to whether to keep or return it. It's nice to know that the manufacturer is pushing customer satisfaction. I think I will wait for hopefully a release with a higher resolution display. After trying many digital/night scopes out, my eyes prefer at least a 1920x1080 display if using during the day.

Reactions: MartinT
Thank you for the synopsis, I can agree with your assessment.

Day scope, night scope, thermal scope, rangefinder, ballistic calculator, digital recorder, and 1920x1080…. That’s a tall order for a grand.

Heck, a couple years ago that’s a tall order for ten grand!

I’m willing to roll the dice with the resolution, as I would rarely use it for daytime. I’d rather simply throw the daytime scope on (or visa versa) and confirm zero quickly, particularly on an air rifle where that’s as easy as a couple silent rounds at 25 yards.

Personally, I can’t stand any of the digital scopes for daytime use, regardless of resolution. It could be 4k HD, and I wouldn’t like it… because I like good riflescopes, and there’s no substitution for seeing it through the glass.