Does the Webley pack enough punch?

I found myself wondering just how well-armed I would be encountering a good-sized Western diamondback with nothing but the Webley CO2 pellet revolver. I got a few answers. With a fresh CO2 powerlet, both the wadcutter and the domed hollowpoints easily passed through six layers of common cardboard.

They also passed with ease through a piece of Georgia Pacific wall paneling approximately 3/16s inch thick:

Reactions: AirNGasman
You require more power.
These Co2 lookalikes are superbly done, inspiring a sense of pride of ownership, but due to the gaps at the revolving interfaces of cartridges and barrels, or revolving mags and barrels in similar models, their velocity suffers. At best 350-400 fps (2.2 to 2.75 ftlbs) but you need to remember the velocity drop off, lost getting to the target. Probably down at barely 300 fps (2ftlbs) at point of arrival.

For any small pests, i work on 500 fps minimum as a realistic proposition, losing maybe 30-40 fps across the first 10 yards and delivering a good 460 fps (4ftlbs with an 8 grain Dome pellet at point of impact.

Welcome to Texas, Bill.(y)

The largest rattlesnake I've killed was with a .22 Crosman 38C Co2 revolver shooting 14.3 grain pellets about 350 FPS. The Western Diamondback taken in the south Texas brush country (Webb County) was 6' long, thick as my fore-arm, and delicious!

Though I suspect your .177 Co2 revolver makes only 1/2 to 2/3 the muzzle energy of the .22 Crosman 38C, I'm pretty sure it has enough penetration to punch into the brain cavity of even a large rattler from point-blank range.

BTW, I attended the Rattlesnake Round-up in the early 1970s. Back then it included a shooting competition with law-enforcement and civilian classes where we actually shot live rattlers! Only head-shots counted, and all shooting was done one-handedly. DPS troopers were the most dominant LE department; those boys can shoot!

I've had three or four encounters with DPS troopers and found them to also be men of integrity, common-sense, and good humor... that respond well to same. Suffice to say treating them with respect while also being honest and reasonable has kept me out of the pokey more than once! 😰

Steve, I would not anticipate engaging a rattlesnake beyond 10 feet at the most, so velocity loss should not be a significant factor I would think. Possible scenarios: puddle of snake in a corner of the garage, on the patio under the Traeger, in the raised bed under the cucumber ...
I moved here from Alamogordo, where an elderly neighbor was bitten just a block away while cleaning up around his tomatoes. This was right in town, south of the space museum. Then there was this jazbo who snuck in while we were opening up the county shooting range out in La Luz. I just happened to notice him under the office bench. Only about 18-20 inches, but he made up for his lack of stature with attitude.
AirNGasman, what I want to know is who held the snakes while you boys shot at the heads?? 😄

Reactions: Steveoo
I did some interesting tests a while back trying to replicate hide penetration.
It was very basic, but proved surprising the resistance offered by the tough outer skin of even small critters, when compared to the inner muscle tissue…Lets say a block of ballistic putty replicating the inner muscle tissues is often a given comparison, but in reality much more easily penetrated than outer skin, or hide which also gives a bit to damp some of the penetration.
I am not certain of the anatomical strength of the snakes skull/ skin, but I wouldn't risk it being my best advice….but interesting question.
Perhaps you could take one down with a Crosman 1377 and then check the effects of your Webley at a typical distance on a safe target.

Reactions: Billinoregon
Steve, I will say this about rattlesnakes I have dispatched in places where the official policy was to terminate rather than relocate: The Speer/CCI .38/.357 and .44 Special/.44 Magnum shot-capsule snake loads contain what I believe is No. 9 shot. The CCI .22 LR snake load contains what I believe to be No. 12 shot. A snake shot with the larger caliber capsules becomes a writhing mass of damaged fury. One shot in the noggin with the .22 LR No. 12 -- almost dust-- and the snake does not even quiver. I am pretty confident that a .177 pellet, even at 350, will turn off the lights if properly placed at reasonably close range.
Mick, the challenge here is dispatching a snake in a neighborhood within city limits. A .410 is kinda out of the question.

I would agree with Ron (and also on the delicious) and if needed would use it.
However perhaps you are in a situation where you want to grab something but should not use a firearm. The correct answer is : (ask enough and another airgunner will back me up) you "need" another airgun.
You would need to call on the phone (and please not on a Sunday) but Dennis list his garden pistol in stock.
https://www.quackenbushairguns.com/currently_available.htm

John

Reactions: Billinoregon
Maybe i have underestimated the abilities of the sub 400 fps guns a little here…..Which is positive news for me.
I take occasional rats with a modified LP53 doing approx 525 fps and have had to deal with few critics for doing so....
I also have zero hunting knowledge of your snakes …so ill bow to your better experience here.
More one of concern if the beast gets to biting you if not cold cocked…

Last edited:
@Billinoregon Wouldn't you want more power? I would not advise shooting anything alive with a Co2 pistol unless it was a Crosman 2240. Those have some wallop and are not too expensive.

Or perhaps something like this?

Snakes seem dangerous, please be careful!