Domed pellets for small game

I only use domed if you include Crosman "hp" as a domed. It does not expand, at least at Prod velocity, so I think that's fair. But these days my Prod gets H&N copper plated FTTs. The hole of even a 177 pellet is pretty big as a percentage of the surface area of a squirrel. Both by calculation and experience even a 177 domed is enough even for body shots. A 22 more so.

I also agree that placement is the most likely suspect for negative experiences but I think there is a risk with expanding projectiles not penetrating far enough. My most recent test in wet paper gave half the penetration with a metal mag as the same gun did with a domed pellet. Maybe that would be enough but I use domed.

HMMMM ? so how many years have pellet guns been used to hunt 50 ? ,80 ? , 100 ? more ? , and when did the fancy head pellets come on the market ?
How many thousands and thousands of small game were taken with plain old 7 or 8 gr. domes ? guess back in the day people just had no idea you can't hunt with domes .

I only use domed if you include Crosman "hp" as a domed. It does not expand, at least at Prod velocity, so I think that's fair. But these days my Prod gets H&N copper plated FTTs. The hole of even a 177 pellet is pretty big as a percentage of the surface area of a squirrel. Both by calculation and experience even a 177 domed is enough even for body shots. A 22 more so.

I also agree that placement is the most likely suspect for negative experiences but I think there is a risk with expanding projectiles not penetrating far enough. My most recent test in wet paper gave half the penetration with a metal mag as the same gun did with a domed pellet. Maybe that would be enough but I use domed.
OT but hunting dangerous game that can kill you, the large bears, African game , solid round nosed bullets are the ticket. The ultimate domed pellet. Elmer Kieth said a solid hard lead bullet is the best choice for any game.
kent

i really cant justify all the hype about the JTS/AEA pellets.
in my type of shooting...hunting/pesting, not paper.
the Jsb rules at my sea level which is sometimes 10-14ft here on the farm.
2.2 miles from the Gulf of mexico.
i can see push-boats on the intercoastal canal from my tripod stand overlook'n our families large produce garden
that feeds us daily. lots of critters go to heaven there.... and some to the freezer🤘
JTS have been more accurate and way less flyers compared to JSBs in my last 4 PCPs. I'm not a paper guy either but for hunting/pesting I'll take the best accuracy anyway. No hype just results. I feel alot of competitors made the switch. They don't do that over hype.

JTS have been more accurate and way less flyers compared to JSBs in my last 4 PCPs. I'm not a paper guy either but for hunting/pesting I'll take the best accuracy anyway. No hype just results. I feel alot of competitors made the switch. They don't do that over hype.
like i just said to Firewalker.......could be altitude because i cant tell yall why my guns like JSB better

• Haha
Reactions: Firewalker
Some may think I don't like JSB pellets because of some of my comments. That is not where I am at. I just have not found them to always shoot better than H&N pellets in my guns. Some guns they do and some they don't. So I always test both. The only ones I've shot today happened to be JSBs because I was sighting in a different scope on my P35-25 and it prefers JSBs. I've seen others who have the opposite experience and I can totally believe that. Guns want what they want.