HW/Weihrauch Dream field target gun

I am a looking at a PCP to use in Field target. Both open and hunter. I have been shooting spring guns for many years and have a TX200 and Diana 48 for field target in the springer classes.

I am just starting to look at building a dream gun and scope combination. I can use all the help and opinions anyone wants to offer. I am concerned I am focusing on things that don’t matter and ignoring things that do.

First off I will get a compressor. Should I get a hand pump or a bottle ? Or both for field use.

Next I do all my own maintenance and tuning. To me that is the fun. Learning new things and the satisfaction of making something work for me is something I place value in. I’m a mechanic/ machinist and dable in watchmaking. I know when I can’t do something.

I really like Air Arms products but I have looked at other brands.

I have gone around and around with this for months if not years. But now I have the money to do something. So it’s getting serious. Fortunately everything is out of stock everywhere so I can wait. And take time.

I am in Iowa and the wind is my concern. I want a 20 ft lb gun to buck wind with slow moving heavier pellets.

First I looked at the HFT 500. I like it because it has an adjustable cheek piece. I like the option of a hamster and it is single shot competition rifle with a great reputation. Down side is 12 ft lb.

Same goes for the XTi-50. It’s a 12 ft. lb gun.

I looked at the S510 and the magazine loads from the left side. That interferes with the side wheel. So I am looking at the S500 xs extra.

But then I started to look at the HW 100. I can get that with a cheek riser and it has a thumb hole stock option that I kinda like.
Plus it loads single shot or magazine from the right side.

From what I read the HW100 is easy to work on and tune.

Is the HW100 trigger like the rekord in the hw97?

I don’t know how important a hamster is . Won’t use it for hunter and I have never used one in open.

My biggest question is how the two power levels deal with wind at longer range.

The real choice is the HW100 vs Air arms s500 I think. Both are beautiful. Don’t want a carbine . I don’t know why.

Scope is probably a Sightron SIII FT 10-50X60 With a second focal plane. Pretty set on that but not totally.

I am a looking at a PCP to use in Field target. Both open and hunter. I have been shooting spring guns for many years and have a TX200 and Diana 48 for field target in the springer classes.

I am just starting to look at building a dream gun and scope combination. I can use all the help and opinions anyone wants to offer. I am concerned I am focusing on things that don’t matter and ignoring things that do.

First off I will get a compressor. Should I get a hand pump or a bottle ? Or both for field use.

Next I do all my own maintenance and tuning. To me that is the fun. Learning new things and the satisfaction of making something work for me is something I place value in. I’m a mechanic/ machinist and dable in watchmaking. I know when I can’t do something.

I really like Air Arms products but I have looked at other brands.

I have gone around and around with this for months if not years. But now I have the money to do something. So it’s getting serious. Fortunately everything is out of stock everywhere so I can wait. And take time.

I am in Iowa and the wind is my concern. I want a 20 ft lb gun to buck wind with slow moving heavier pellets.

First I looked at the HFT 500. I like it because it has an adjustable cheek piece. I like the option of a hamster and it is single shot competition rifle with a great reputation. Down side is 12 ft lb.

Same goes for the XTi-50. It’s a 12 ft. lb gun.

I looked at the S510 and the magazine loads from the left side. That interferes with the side wheel. So I am looking at the S500 xs extra.

But then I started to look at the HW 100. I can get that with a cheek riser and it has a thumb hole stock option that I kinda like.
Plus it loads single shot or magazine from the right side.

From what I read the HW100 is easy to work on and tune.

Is the HW100 trigger like the rekord in the hw97?

I don’t know how important a hamster is . Won’t use it for hunter and I have never used one in open.

My biggest question is how the two power levels deal with wind at longer range.

The real choice is the HW100 vs Air arms s500 I think. Both are beautiful. Don’t want a carbine . I don’t know why.

Scope is probably a Sightron SIII FT 10-50X60 With a second focal plane. Pretty set on that but not totally.
Based on your wording I recommend the S500XS easy to change power levels and plenty of air to finish a course.
Get a large white whale CF tank. Buy An Alkin compressor as it will serve you well!
Come to mobile Alabama and I’ll let you shoot 20 different high end FT guns.
Consider Athlons Heras SPR second focal plane as it’s easier to apply the reticle information to your holdovers
IMG_7824.jpeg

IMG_7592.jpeg

Based on your wording I recommend the S500XS easy to change power levels and plenty of air to finish a course.
Get a large white whale CF tank. Buy An Alkin compressor as it will serve you well!
Come to mobile Alabama and I’ll let you shoot 20 different high end FT guns.
Consider Athlons Heras SPR second focal plane as it’s easier to apply the reticle information to your holdovers
View attachment 482595
View attachment 482596
Thank you
I love the S500 but I am concern the power level is from 20-32 ft lb and I can’t exceed 20 ft lb . I would like to turn it down if it’s sending the pellets out of control. Is that possible?
I will look at the Athlon scope .

Thank you
I love the S500 but I am concern the power level is from 20-32 ft lb and I can’t exceed 20 ft lb . I would like to turn it down if it’s sending the pellets out of control. Is that possible?
I will look at the Athlon scope .
5 power settings - im shooting 10.3’s at 905 fps on pwr level 4 so plenty more to turn down. See airgun detective on YouTube

The trigger in a HW100 is fantastic, better than the Record. Trigger postition is adjustable.
The single shot adapter works also very great.
Magazine system is the best there is.

I use a HW100s for HFT.
I have owned numerous Weihrauchs' including the HW110 and HW100 and I prefered the HW100. Weihrauchs' require a fill probe which adds one more thing to keep up with and another place for dirt to enter your system and 4 more o-rings. i recommend the Rowan Engineering SSL for the Weihrauchs. Weihrauchs mags are / were more troublesome for me to engage.
For the AA 500 lineup you can add a 8 shot manual rotary mag from Rowan Engineering... a nice feature.
One funky thing about AA lineup is their stupid proprietary fill port. Easy fix... simply buy a QD fitting from Best Fittings in the U.K. for less than $20. You degass the gun by loosening the gage, or cracking the fill port fitting, and in less than 10 minutes you'll have a standard Quick Disconnect Foster Fitting. Easy Peasy
All that info is to let you know, you can't go wrong with either choice.
IMG_7270.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like Air Arms because of my TX200. But that was a choice again between the Tx200 and the hw97. Now I’m there again . I can see an advantage to the magazine when sitting at the target and not having to fiddle with pellets. With a sprinter I have to cock the rifle so adding a pellet is not a big deal. So adding a pellet with a side lever should be simple. Maybe the magazine might be too quick and I don’t stop and aim under pressure.

I have owned numerous Weihrauchs' including the HW110 and HW100 and I prefered the HW100. Weihrauchs' require a fill probe which adds one more thing to keep up with and another place for dirt to enter your system and 4 more o-rings. i recommend the Rowan Engineering SSL for the Weihrauchs. Weihrauchs mags are / were more troublesome for me to engage.
For the AA 500 lineup you can add a 8 shot manual rotary mag from Rowan Engineering... a nice feature.
One funky thing about AA lineup is their stupid proprietary fill port. Easy fix... simply buy a QD fitting from Best Fittings in the U.K. for less than $20. You degass the gun by loosening the gage, or cracking the fill port fitting, and in less than 10 minutes you'll have a standard Quick Disconnect Foster Fitting. Easy Peasy
All that info is to let you know, you can't go wrong with either choice.
View attachment 482683
Is that a Rowan magazine for the S500?

Reactions: cavedweller
Well now I’m going off on a new tangent I have never even considered. USED.
An HFT500 with a hamster and scope for 1300 just popped up on GTA. I gave it a look and it’s brand new. Or so they always say. But that’s a good deal. But I lost the link and when I went to look again in the classified there is a super modified one with a lot of mods shooting 18 ft lb with a regulator , scope custom stock everything for under 2000. So now I’m really having fun.