• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dream scope with wrong reticle. Bad idea?

zebra

Sep 29, 2015
New York
What do you guys think about the importance of the reticle style when choosing a scope?

The context is that I have been offered a great deal on a scope but it doesn't have the reticle I would normally want. The deal is around $400 for a scope that normally sells for $800 (or more). 

If the scope had a mil dot reticle, it would be my Excalibur. Great glass that's on the same level as most $1000 scopes. FFP. 4-20x50 which is perfect for a multi use scope. Side focus etc etc. But.... it has a German reticle..... otherwise known a pure disappointment etched into glass.

I'm not sure if the German reticle makes the FFP thing pointless but I think it might. That aside, is it worth compromising on your preferred reticle to get better glass that you could normally acquire for the price range? Or is a mil dot reticle for an air gun hunter even more important than the glass quality?

I always holdover (or under). I never use the turrets (although I could on a scope like this) but I never really use the mil dots for calculating the adjustment. I usually memorize the trajectory for each distance and use the mil dots for reference on where the poi will be. I've never tried to do this without the dots but maybe I could use other points on the reticle for reference? 

What would you guys do?

Reactions: LusitanoPT
To me, the scope is not better than the reticle, and I do not compromise in that department any longer. I prefer FFP, but can live with SFP. Reticles without mills/dots is out of the question. All my last scopes (zeiss Varmint and various Athlons) have the "Christmas tree" reticle also, and I prefer the one with numbers/siffering on the side (easy to track/count/remember holdover).
Good quality glass is a must, but without the reticles I want...........? Have some of these, but they are stuffed away, and no longer on my rifles.

It's a variant of a German 4.

The scope is not specifically designed for air guns but aside from Hawke and Leapers brand scopes, most of the ones we buy here are probably sold primarily for powder burners. It just happens that we have similar needs to long range firearms users in terms of compensation for a drop in the trajectory and adjustable range / power.

With that in mind, I can't see either long range powder burner users or air rifle users being particularly thrilled with a non-holdover reticle and especially not on an FFP scope unless they were turret users. 

BRS, I think you are probably right about the reason for the discount. I mean it's used but the used Mil Dot version usually sells for a few hundred more. I could see someone buying it thinking they could make use of the FFP and then realizing they can't without a holdover reticle. 

I know some guys here do ok (or even prefer) target dot reticles but I assume they are mainly target shooters. 

To make the decision harder, the 3-15x50 mil dot FFP version is available new for $100 more. Maybe losing a little magnification is a better compromise than the holdover reticle. 

I have decided not to slip with my scope choices, I buy these gear for my own comfort and I am are expecting long service time out of these.

Try imaging the scope in your hands already, feeling regret?

I would have gotten Athlon MOA version over a month earlier with 50€ discount but I did not even consider it.

I suggest finding a scope of your like and sticking with it! Once you own it youre not probably buying a new one any soon.

"Slayerious"I have decided not to slip with my scope choices, I buy these gear for my own comfort and I am are expecting long service time out of these.

Try imaging the scope in your hands already, feeling regret?

I would have gotten Athlon MOA version over a month earlier with 50€ discount but I did not even consider it.

I suggest finding a scope of your like and sticking with it! Once you own it youre not probably buying a new one any soon.
Sound advice.

There are a few scopes in my collection that I really like and if I was smart I would just order the same again but my desire to try new things and see what is so good about the more expensive one keeps getting me into trouble. 

I think I'll give the German a miss. You're right about how I would regret it.