Early morning shooting with a new to me Edgun Veles

I just recently picked up a .22 veles off the classified section. In the short time I have owned the gun it has quickly became my favorite gun. It is so easy to pick up and walk out to my backyard and casually plink. When I got it I went ahead and polished the barrel which is a typical part of my new gun break in routine. After polishing and cleaning I threw on a donnyfl tatsu just to see the shooting experience. Overall the tatsu had a nice look (personal preference) but it made the pistol way too front heavy making offhand shooting harder. I went ahead and bought a huggett atom from a fellow member. Originally I just bought it because it was compact/light. The atom makes the overall shooting cycle of the gun way smoother. The lighter weight of the moderator on the end makes it easier to hold steady when off hand and off a bag. I had a few mins this morning to shot a couple of quick groups. Oddly enough the gun was more accurate with the atom which is sized for 177/22 compared to the tatsu which is a 25. I just thought this was a nice example of how trial/experimentation can shed light on gun harmonics that would otherwise probably go unnoticed. This is not me making a statement that huggett is better than donnyfl.

For the picture with 3 groupings the top 2 are from the donnyfl. The grouping at the bottom is when i switched to the huggett. The pic of the single group is with the atom. All groups are 5 shot groups.

The distance was only 12m and it was rested. However considering it is wearing a red dot I am personally super happy with the groupings.

D015E650-8AF0-48A8-AA0C-E3076FFD9E44.jpeg

6B4C8579-1C0D-4D81-B914-3B8071E08DE2.jpeg

Let’s see some pictures of your Veles. I’m curious how you attached a 1/2UNF moderator to yours as the stock moderator has a male thread and the pistol has a female receiving end. If you got the stock moderator with the pistol you should really give it a try - it weighs nearly nothing and is extremely effective.

The Veles is also a very tuneable pistol. I put a Huma reg in mine and it’s setup for about 18 - 18.5 fpe depending on the pellet. That’s about as high as I’ve been able to go before getting to much blowback on the cocking/loading mechanism.

A Leopold 4X handgun scope would be a really nice compliment. I’m using a Burris 3-12 Hundgun scope on mine and can get near 1/2” groups bag rested @ 40 yards with JSB 15.9 and 18gr and H&N 21gr pellets.

Here’s a tip on making the trigger more predictable. After you cock and load the pistol, put the safety on and give the trigger a squeeze. Then switch to fire and it’ll feel a bit like a 2-stage with a more predictable break.

Reactions: JadedC
Let’s see some pictures of your Veles. I’m curious how you attached a 1/2UNF moderator to yours as the stock moderator has a male thread and the pistol has a female receiving end. If you got the stock moderator with the pistol you should really give it a try - it weighs nearly nothing and is extremely effective.

The Veles is also a very tuneable pistol. I put a Huma reg in mine and it’s setup for about 18 - 18.5 fpe depending on the pellet. That’s about as high as I’ve been able to go before getting to much blowback on the cocking/loading mechanism.

A Leopold 4X handgun scope would be a really nice compliment. I’m using a Burris 3-12 Hundgun scope on mine and can get near 1/2” groups bag rested @ 40 yards with JSB 15.9 and 18gr and H&N 21gr pellets.

Here’s a tip on making the trigger more predictable. After you cock and load the pistol, put the safety on and give the trigger a squeeze. Then switch to fire and it’ll feel a bit like a 2-stage with a more predictable break.
As requested here is the current set up
I bought an attachment from eagle vision that allows 1/2unf moderators to be used. The pistol came with the stock moderator. I definitely agree it is highly effective. The only con is the length of it. All 3 oem/huggett/donnyfl provide a backyard friendly sound level, so I naturally gravitated to the atom due to the minimal length. The atom is for sure the loudest of the 3 but it is still backyard friendly.

The pistol for me came shooting around 11 fpe. For my needs it is perfect since I am shooting small metal targets at roughly 10 yards away. The 11 fpe knocks them down and provides a solid ping. Any more power and the noise of the impacts would definitely raise some concerns with the neighbors since I do most of my shooting in the AM.

What is too much blowback? I’ve noticed even at this minimal setting the slide action does move back during the firing process, about 1/8 inch. I spoke to Brian at Edgun West and he said it was an inherent flaw in the design. At 18 fpe how far does the slide travel back?

I was actually debating what would sit on top of the gun long term. I actually contemplated picking up the 4x leupold. The only thing that held me back was the lack of adjustable objective. So far I am enjoying cheap red dot thats on it, but we shall see how long that last.

I will give the trigger tip a try next time I shoot.

17442CB6-F103-4F1F-9E4F-AE6FB9AB5E69.jpeg

Re: Blowback - Too much blowback for me the slide would actually move back a bit and stay there after the shot cycle. At 18fpe there is a little movement of the slide, but it falls back into position after the shot. I have the 177 shooting @ 12fpe and could shoot it all day in the backyard as it makes almost no sound at all.

One thing I really like about these pistols. They look like they would be heavy with the robust wood grip and sizeable amount of metal, but actually they are very light weight.

As I have only seen one Veles for sale here in the past months I think you and I purchased from the same guy - I had bought his .177 earlier this summer.

Here are some scoped pics. I moved the the Leupold 4x over to the 177 from an Ataman AP16. It's a great little scope for 10 yards and out. No issues with it once you get used to shooting handgun scopes.

Veles177 - 1.jpeg

VintagePistols - 1.jpeg