• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Eat what you kill?

Vietnamese also eat cats and dogs, so there is that.

I've heard dog actually taste good, but I can't ever see myself doing that unless the world is about to end and that's all I got.
they only eat a special bread of dog and the farms that raise them are MUCH stricter controlled than our meat .

We're all supposed to welcome parasites now too.
A parasite is defined as an animal that's living off the host. I think that's an accurate description of unfortunately a significant percentage of the people living in the United states and a significant number of those are not here legally.

Last edited:
We always hear how some cultures eat anything and everything?

Truth is, there are farms that raise food to eat. I remember I had a childhood friend that raised pigeons to eat, no way in hell they would eat a wild one.
I would eat a pigeon if I shot it on a farm or in a field. Similar to the discussion about rats- I would never eat a city bird.

IMO out in a clean environment pigeon-dove are basically the same.

We always hear how some cultures eat anything and everything?

Truth is, there are farms that raise food to eat. I remember I had a childhood friend that raised pigeons to eat, no way in hell they would eat a wild one.
Like the chicken you buy i
at the grocery store, those squab are eaten at about 8 weeks of age. They haven't had time to toughen up.

It is all about how you grew up and what you were taught to eat. Me, from SA, will not even think of eating squirrels unless I am really starving and have no other choice to stay alive. We grew up hunting wild doves and wild indigenous pigeons and eating them. Not feral pigeons as they mostly live in towns and eat anything they get. Somebody here said they will not eat wild pigeons. I saw videos of people in USA eating iguanas, you won't catch me eating those things. If I grew up eating it, maybe it would not be as terrible a thought as it is now. As a child we ate Mopani worms with the locals, now I can't think how I did that. It is all in the mind.

It is all about how you grew up and what you were taught to eat. Me, from SA, will not even think of eating squirrels unless I am really starving and have no other choice to stay alive. We grew up hunting wild doves and wild indigenous pigeons and eating them. Not feral pigeons as they mostly live in towns and eat anything they get. Somebody here said they will not eat wild pigeons. I saw videos of people in USA eating iguanas, you won't catch me eating those things. If I grew up eating it, maybe it would not be as terrible a thought as it is now. As a child we ate Mopani worms with the locals, now I can't think how I did that. It is all in the mind.

looks yummy

It truly is all in the mind......I come from a family of big game hunters and the organs/parts that never hit our table ended up on someone else's.

Today, I'm in my 60's and am well known in the Chinese Community. I often get invited to break bread at gracious hosts that invite me. Often, I get asked "do you know what this is"? My reply is, "I'm really enjoying this maybe it is best I don't know"? The room breaks out in laughter, sometimes they say other times they don't. HaHaHa

If those worms were disguised, I'm sure they would be really tasty? It is a struggle to get past the looks. LOL

It really is a blessing to eat authentic food by other cultures.(y)

Reactions: coastal drifter
I didn't grow up eating game meat at all really. That doesn't mean I never had any, when we did it was usually venison from a neighbor right after the season ended.
We did eat lots of fish. I've been fishing for dinner since I was little. I feel like all the fish I've eaten are way more suspect than what I hunt now.
Only as an adult have I started to eat game that I hunted. Mostly because it's easier for me to hunt where I am now.
As to what I eat now:
Yes, to squirrel in the wild or near my house because I know what they are eating. They definitely are fatter and taste better during mast years when all the oaks around me produce acorns.
Rabbits, oh h$!! yes! I see it as insurance for my next years garden produce and they are truly delicious. We cook them a bunch of different ways but I love frying them like Cowboy Kent Rollins does in the linked video.
Deer, again YES! I grow food just for the deer. I can't use an airgun to hunt them, so I need them in under 40yds to get them with my crossbow or the 100 year old Remington Model 17.
I've eaten lots of other "exotic" meats. My favorites have been ostrich, snapping turtle, and alligator.

I would try a rice rat in Vietnam just like I'd try a guinea pig in South America. It's all about context.

Probably odd, but I love chocolate covered ants and would have to take a pass on scorpion lollipops. The same with the other insects, also.

The wife is Filipina, so I get to see some truly scary stuff come out of the kitchen. Most I won't touch, but anything pig related doesn't last long. What she does to fish should be a crime against nature. Alot of that comes from the fact what she wants to eat is what I would consider bait to catch real fish.