Entry level benchrest scope for an HW97?

Looking for a reasonably priced bench rest scope to use on my HW97. Just getting into bench rest so I'd like to stay under $500.

Must withstand the recoil!
What distances do you want to shoot? I assume not long range, given it is a springer, but just want to be sure before making a recommendation.
When you say benchrest, do you mean paper? 10 Rings or fun tiny targets?

I have a Vector Sentinel 8-32 that I have used to shoot 30 yard challenge targets. It has fine cross hairs and works pretty well. But I wish I had the 10-40 which has a dot reticle. The original version is available at attractive prices because there is a new "X" version which is still under $200. I feel like I can shoot these targets as well with my Arken EPL-4 6-24 partially because of it's dot reticle and mainly because it has better glass. But for a benchrest scope under $200 I think it's a good choice. The "X" version is supposed to have a little better glass and 40X would also help some.

Right at the top of your price limit, or possibly a little above, is the Falcon t50i 5-50x60 scope. It is a new scope and about 1/3 as much money as the 10-50 Falcon has offered for much longer. The lower price is because it is built in China. The glass is supposed to still be ED. I would not classify this scope as a beginner scope the reviews say it is equivalent to the older Falcon and many other much more expensive scopes. It is heavy, however, and has a 34mm tube. It seems worth stretching the budget a little to have a scope that wouldn't need to be replaced later, however.

Reactions: Grey-Kiwi
I have a Vector Sentinel 8-32 that I have used to shoot 30 yard challenge targets. It has fine cross hairs and works pretty well. But I wish I had the 10-40 which has a dot reticle. The original version is available at attractive prices because there is a new "X" version which is still under $200. I feel like I can shoot these targets as well with my Arken EPL-4 6-24 partially because of it's dot reticle and mainly because it has better glass. But for a benchrest scope under $200 I think it's a good choice. The "X" version is supposed to have a little better glass and 40X would also help some.

Right at the top of your price limit, or possibly a little above, is the Falcon t50i 5-50x60 scope. It is a new scope and about 1/3 as much money as the 10-50 Falcon has offered for much longer. The lower price is because it is built in China. The glass is supposed to still be ED. I would not classify this scope as a beginner scope the reviews say it is equivalent to the older Falcon and many other much more expensive scopes. It is heavy, however, and has a 34mm tube. It seems worth stretching the budget a little to have a scope that wouldn't need to be replaced later, however.
The vector 10 - 40 x 50 is very appealing from a price standpoint. Anyone know how it might hold up on a springer? I've had problems with my Aztec Emerald.

The good thing about 25m is you don’t “need” big magnification, but you are never going to hear me say more doesn’t help!

While I have never tried a Vector, that was my first thought with your budget and high magnification, based on what I have heard from others. I have been tempted to try one, but haven’t found the need for one yet. Anything else with a high mag might have to be used. The Athlon Heras is around $600, so just outside your range, and Athlon has been known to stand up to springers.

Reactions: Cmiller
I run a 4-12 Airmax on my 97. I shoot it out to 50 yards fine with that. WAY more than enough for 25 meters.

20240905_181152.jpg

The sale on the Midas Tac 6-24 at Euro Optic is hard to beat at just $380. Great scope, worth much more. It is FFP, so don’t know if you like that or not. I have heard Athlons are springer rated and many have them.
the warrantee is great , i actually bought a used broken one i was going to use as a spotting scope . at that time i had never heard of Athlon .
got home and used as a spotter when target shooting . impressed , so i looked on line and saw the guarantee so i sent it in on a Monday .
Had a brand new scope to me that Friday . repair is in
Kansas City USA

In my experience it’s doesn’t take much magnification to out-see what a springer can shoot. (Compared to PCP benchrest where 32x, 40x, 50x can be useful).

The Sightron is a great suggestion. I’d prefer a Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR but that’s somewhat above $500.
I just bought the bottom of the Sightron line up. A S1 3-9x32 Rimfire scope for my wife's new T-Bolt. I'm pretty impressed with the quality. Glass is very good for $160 and the turrets are great. It's made in Philippines as opposed to ROC. Much better than a higher priced Vortex. IMO the glass is even up and turrets much better than a $300 Leupold VX freedom rimfire. This won't be my last Sightron for sure. Glad I stumbled into them.

I use a 16x SWFA SS on my HW97 with Sportsmatch Dampa mount.

SWFA, Sightron and Athlon all have lifetime warranties.

The two way recoil of a springer can damage scopes - even scopes that can stand up to strong one way recoil from centerfire rifles - the Dampa mount helps to reduce this recoil.

You can never have “too much” magnification for benchrest, lol- and fixed power scopes make a lot of sense for this type of shooting.

I’d agree on above suggestions for the Sightron SII 36x - if someone confirms that its “springer certified“ for the unique springer recoil.

Otherwise SWFA SS scopes are regarded as almost indestructible, lol.

-Ed

I just bought the bottom of the Sightron line up. A S1 3-9x32 Rimfire scope for my wife's new T-Bolt. I'm pretty impressed with the quality. Glass is very good for $160 and the turrets are great. It's made in Philippines as opposed to ROC. Much better than a higher priced Vortex. IMO the glass is even up and turrets much better than a $300 Leupold VX freedom rimfire. This won't be my last Sightron for sure. Glad I stumbled into them.
I agree on Sightron I've had 4 and still have one.
Lifetime warranty. They used to offer a SII with japanese glass it was a 6-24X42 silhouette with a target dot reticle, it would be perfect for bench rest shooting. The ones I had were japanese made. Have a friend that put a SI on his HW 50 and he loves it. Weaver used to have a couple of fixed power bench rest scopes, like 30 power or something, not sure about the springer rating on those. I tried a Leupold EFR 6-20X40, but never got used to the eyebox, so I sold it. I'm sure they're good scopes, just didn't work for me.
Like he said 12 power is fine, I've shot 12 for a long time, then switched to 16. I've shot up to 30 power, but really for me 16 is where I stay most of the time. I lot of times you will group better at a lower power.

I agree on Sightron I've had 4 and still have one.
Lifetime warranty. They used to offer a SII with japanese glass it was a 6-24X42 silhouette with a target dot reticle, it would be perfect for bench rest shooting. The ones I had were japanese made. Have a friend that put a SI on his HW 50 and he loves it. Weaver used to have a couple of fixed power bench rest scopes, like 30 power or something, not sure about the springer rating on those. I tried a Leupold EFR 6-20X40, but never got used to the eyebox, so I sold it. I'm sure they're good scopes, just didn't work for me.
Like he said 12 power is fine, I've shot 12 for a long time, then switched to 16. I've shot up to 30 power, but really for me 16 is where I stay most of the time. I lot of times you will group better at a lower power.
I often shoot better at lower power as well. I adjust the power to size the reticle to almost cover the target's center dot. It's easy to center the reticle on the target dot that way. It's a spin on aim small miss small.

Also lots of magnification shows my heartbeat and every slightest movement. This induces a phenomenon called purpose tremor with me. My brain automatically tries to adjust for every heartbeat and slightest movement. I find myself wandering around the target in wider and wider motions. I have to stop, come off target and try again. Usually lowering the magnification reduces this mental/physical feedback problem. Not everyone experiences this phenomenon, but it is quite common.

A classic example of purpose tremor is threading a needle. The closer you get the thread to the needle eye. The more you shake. Its the slightly delayed physical response to a visual correction that gets your brain and hand out sync and causes increasing overcorrection. The harder you try, the more intense the shaking gets. Lowering the magnification reduces the overcorrection by not exposing your eye to the slightest motions. It essentially gives your brain the average position of the reticle on target to work with. The reality is most people and guns aren't accurate enough that the average on target position isn't good enough.

I shoot 223 @500 and 6.5 @ 625 yards on 18x and 25x respectively. I think I can handle 50 at 12X. My talent and spriger accuracy are more a handicap than medium magnification. Btw, none of my other springers wear anything more than a 3-9x40. I dont shoot groups past 50 yards with them. I do shoot beer cans, spinners and pill bottles with them out to a hundred. Including my Hw30 @ usually 6x
YMMV

Last edited:
The 24X Weaver CT works very well at 25 meters. The dot fits perfect in the 10 ring of the 25 Meter Air rifle Target. the 36X works great for the 50 yard AR target . Or the Sightron which i have a 36X and prefer them now over the weavers. Have to check out the Sightron 6-24. I really light the older Leupold 35X Competition if you can find them,love the side focus.......