Ernest Rowe Wildcat Mark 3 plenum?

Newman at 910 Airguns is the guy to call, he is an FX expert and is the one producing these extensions. He has a few different styles and can help you figure out for sure which would work. But I dont really think there is a need. The plenum on the Maverick is a monster; actually probably a bit too big for the factory valve system to take full advantage of. And with the Maverick bottle adapter and bottle, it would push it out into a strange position in my opinion. On a Wildcat it works great with the tube version to make up some additional air capacity real-estate, that would otherwise go to waste with the extra length of a moderator.

Newman at 910 Airguns is the guy to call, he is an FX expert and is the one producing these extensions. He has a few different styles and can help you figure out for sure which would work. But I dont really think there is a need. The plenum on the Maverick is a monster; actually probably a bit too big for the factory valve system to take full advantage of. And with the Maverick bottle adapter and bottle, it would push it out into a strange position in my opinion. On a Wildcat it works great with the tube version to make up some additional air capacity real-estate, that would otherwise go to waste with the extra length of a moderator.
I’ll try getting a hold of him. It’s more out of curiosity (curious about what different ways exist to increase efficiency / effectiveness while pesting around the farm)

Reactions: Bandito
Has anyone tried or does anyone know if this extension fits the FX Maverick?
I don't know about the extension that 910 airguns is selling, but I can tell you that by just removing the section of air tube that has the 2nd regulator and replacing it with another stock plenum section, you will have a huge plenum (approximately 160cc) and a single regulator. That's what I did to my mav 30 cal sniper. The thing is, I didn't do it because I wanted a larger plenum -- I only did it because I hated the hell out of the 2-regulator system and the silly slow refresh rate (at least when putting out 112 fpe at the muzzle -- takes big gulps of air). I really like it the way it is now, but YOU might not like it for two possible reasons as follows.

The fill adapter is about an inch farther forward, so the regulator set screw is only accessable with the chassis removed because the hole in the chassis doesn't line up with the set screw anymore. The other thing is that the vertical tube clamp (forward one) no longer grabs the fill adapter -- it only grabs the additional plenum section. Because of this, you have to hold the fill adapter to keep the pressure gauge and the fill port fitting to stay in their horizontal position when screwing the bottle tank on, but only if the plenum is empty. Once the plenum has air, everything is locked in place and you can remove and replace the bottle tank without the issue of the fill adapter rotating.

IF you can find a plenum section of tubing that is exactly the same length as the factory tube section that has the 2nd regulator and swap the regulator section out with the empty plenum section, then you would have a single regulator mav that has a larger plenum (not the full 160cc, but bigger than stock) and still have the regulator set screw line up with the hole in the chassis and still have the vertical tube clamp holding the fill adapter so it doesn't rotate.

With the larger plenum, the pressure drop in the plenum is less during the shot cycle. For me, the pressure drop used to be almost 15 bar, but with the larger plenum the pressure drop is only about 10 bar. I can't swear it, but it seems like I'm getting the air I need through the transfer port more quickly so the valve is closing more quickly also. Mainly I just wanted to have a single regulator. I'll never put that 2nd reg back on my mav. Follow-up shots are now ready with fully refreshed plenum in just over 2 seconds. This might depend on which regulator piston you have. I have the brass ant-penis version.

stovepipe

Reactions: Bandito
I don't know about the extension that 910 airguns is selling, but I can tell you that by just removing the section of air tube that has the 2nd regulator and replacing it with another stock plenum section, you will have a huge plenum (approximately 160cc) and a single regulator. That's what I did to my mav 30 cal sniper. The thing is, I didn't do it because I wanted a larger plenum -- I only did it because I hated the hell out of the 2-regulator system and the silly slow refresh rate (at least when putting out 112 fpe at the muzzle -- takes big gulps of air). I really like it the way it is now, but YOU might not like it for two possible reasons as follows.

The fill adapter is about an inch farther forward, so the regulator set screw is only accessable with the chassis removed because the hole in the chassis doesn't line up with the set screw anymore. The other thing is that the vertical tube clamp (forward one) no longer grabs the fill adapter -- it only grabs the additional plenum section. Because of this, you have to hold the fill adapter to keep the pressure gauge and the fill port fitting to stay in their horizontal position when screwing the bottle tank on, but only if the plenum is empty. Once the plenum has air, everything is locked in place and you can remove and replace the bottle tank without the issue of the fill adapter rotating.

IF you can find a plenum section of tubing that is exactly the same length as the factory tube section that has the 2nd regulator and swap the regulator section out with the empty plenum section, then you would have a single regulator mav that has a larger plenum (not the full 160cc, but bigger than stock) and still have the regulator set screw line up with the hole in the chassis and still have the vertical tube clamp holding the fill adapter so it doesn't rotate.

With the larger plenum, the pressure drop in the plenum is less during the shot cycle. For me, the pressure drop used to be almost 15 bar, but with the larger plenum the pressure drop is only about 10 bar. I can't swear it, but it seems like I'm getting the air I need through the transfer port more quickly so the valve is closing more quickly also. Mainly I just wanted to have a single regulator. I'll never put that 2nd reg back on my mav. Follow-up shots are now ready with fully refreshed plenum in just over 2 seconds. This might depend on which regulator piston you have. I have the brass ant-penis version.

stovepipe
This is helpful. I was curious about this concept as I’m looking for ways to make more efficient use of the air in the tank (I don’t have a buddy tank to use as a fill option, yet, and wasn’t too excited about having to run inside each time to run the compressor (it’s not what I would call ”portable” after how I set it up).

During my tear down, I found the reg on the bottle adapter had the brass piston and the reg in the power tube had the really old black one. I just replaced both with new Huma reg’s. I realize the Maverick has one of the larger (if not largest) plenum for an FX, but seeing some of what’s hitting the market with larger plenums (i.e RTI Mora Sniper). I stumbled across this and thought I’d inquire more. Granted, I was also considering the Dreamline Power Plenum for additional space behind the second reg - figured the parts are basically interchangeable in some aspects for the Dreamline, Wildcat and Maverick. I have the 700mm barrel and wasn’t too worried about pushing the tank more forward.

Plus, with the extended rail I put on the bottom blocks the reg adjuster on the bottle adapter anyways. I like how it handles with by moving the bipod more forward. And with regards to alignment, part of what started me down the reseal / rebuild process (aside from the fact it was a used gun) was the Reg adjuster on the Power Adapter was blocked by the frame (I didn’t want to have to take that one off each time to make adjustments as I start tinkering with tuning. I’m just hopeful that once I get all this done, everything lines up and holds pressure.

This Maverick I got used had the Wildcat Plenum installed to delete the second reg too. I can certainly see the benefits especially with a 30 Cal but at normal power levels I like the two regs better. I got all the parts to turn it back to stock. My Wildcat tube version has one of Newmans 910 plenum extensions on it and I loved it. But the Wildcat doesnt have much of a plenum to talk about in stock form so there is a big performance boost. I think the only thing you really gain on a Maverick is a little more air capacity and a more simple reg setup.

This Maverick I got used had the Wildcat Plenum installed to delete the second reg too. I can certainly see the benefits especially with a 30 Cal but at normal power levels I like the two regs better. I got all the parts to turn it back to stock. My Wildcat tube version has one of Newmans 910 plenum extensions on it and I loved it. But the Wildcat doesnt have much of a plenum to talk about in stock form so there is a big performance boost. I think the only thing you really gain on a Maverick is a little more air capacity and a more simple reg setup.
I agree with this. One thing though about having more air capacity on the mav with an extra plenum section added -- technically, you do have more air in the gun because of the larger plenum, but once the plenum pressure drops below the reg pressure that "extra" air is not usable. In other words, the extra plenum section won't give you more shots on a tank of air.

stovepipe

Reactions: MongooseV8
@MongooseV8 & @stovepipe

Long story short, this Mav is my first PCP (probably first air rifle in ~30 years) and it is a wholly different world than what I grew up with. I was reading more on the mechanics of it all and what y’all are adding makes complete sense to me.

It’s just that I have a need to tinker with things. Most likely, I’ll stick with the setup I’m working on now and see where it goes from here.

Reactions: MongooseV8
@MongooseV8 & @stovepipe

Long story short, this Mav is my first PCP (probably first air rifle in ~30 years) and it is a wholly different world than what I grew up with. I was reading more on the mechanics of it all and what y’all are adding makes complete sense to me.

It’s just that I have a need to tinker with things. Most likely, I’ll stick with the setup I’m working on now and see where it goes from here.
Definitely do YOUR thing. That's what it's about. It's like when I used to ride dirt bikes there would be 5 other guys with the exact same bike -- at least the same from the factory, before we started modifying them. It didn't take long before none of these bikes were exactly alike because of how we each modified them. Some accelerated like a bat out of hell, some cornered better than the others, some could handle big jumps with ease, some had a higher top speed, and on and on.

stovepipe