Evanix Viper inbound......

Got a call from NE Airguns Saturday morning that the Vipers had arrived and completed my pre-order. USPS says it will be delivered tomorrow.

Talking to the guys at NE they had shot them a bit but didn't have any chrono number yet. I'll be interested to see what the .22 is shooting at when it arrives.

Thankfully a 1/2x20UNF threading was included in the final version.

Will post pics and thoughts later tomorrow.

Pictures first.

Viper - 1.jpeg

Viper - 2.jpeg

Viper - 3.jpeg

Some initial thoughts.
- Nicely packaged with plenty of extra o-rings.
- Wooden grips are a nice touch and have a good feel to them.
- Trigger is not feather weight nor too stiff. Just about right for a non 'target' pistol and very crisp.
- Magazine are well made and all metal. Easy to load and with a spring surrounding the cylinder each pellet is grabbed and falls into place easily.
- LOUD! Did I say LOUD! Even with the Hugget Atom it's still makes my Crosman 600 seem quiet.
- A quick chrono shows 600fps on full fill with 18gr, but appears to not be regulated and starts dropping off 7-8fps each shot.
- Firing with the mag empty is not a good idea - did a quick machine gun action on me until tank down to ~50bar.

More to come as I play with it through the day and chrono a full string down to the quoted 100 bar min.

I think they may have made it a little more powerful, but it's still a diminishing return. Here's a 14 shots string from a 250bar fill with H&N 18s

Shot count: 14
Low: 552
Hi: 652
Avg: 605
Spread: 100
STD Dev: 32.3

Seems to have broken in a bit as ootb is was shooting first shot around 600fps.

I've fiddled with the hammer spring adjustment in the back but doesn't seem to have much effect. Will dig into that a little more. I'd like to loosen it a bit and bring the shot curve into more of a bell than a cliff.

Reactions: Coolhand
Hang in there guys, we have a Viper in the shop, we are at 615fps with 21g slugs and getting 3 full mags a fill at this time, a few more days and I will have numbers for the 18g. and a few others. Will add results of tests to this thread for folks if they want or you can check our site iin a few days for info.

@bthurman - Will be interested to see your results. Not saying I am skeptical of your statement on the 21gr slugs, but would think 615 fps is your highest speed of the shot string. Would like to see string of all 21 shots prior to making any further judgement.

I've been messing with the hammer spring setting a bit this morning and getting this curve for the 18s @ 250bar fill. Still another mags worth in the tank, but speeds drop into the lower 500s at that point.

Shot count: 14
Low: 569
Hi: 622
Avg: 598
Spread: 53
STD Dev: 16.9

I will say tuned for the above curve the pistol is much quieter than it was ootb.

I'm honestly not too concerned about the power level as ~12fpe is plenty from a pistol, especially a semi which is not going to be match level accuracy anyways. It would seem the R&D money was put into making this a reliable semi-auto and overall fun to shoot pistol.

The stock open sights are just meh and not adjustable. I put a red dot on the Viper but it's mounted to the slide you have to pull back to cock it, so there is a little wiggle going on. I'm going to try to move the red dot forward to tiny rail in front of the magazine, but not much room there and it can't interfere with the magazine insertion removal.

I'll do some testing with Crosman 14.3gr, H&N 21gr and JSB 25gr and post the chronos of those later on today.

Overall with 200-250 pellets down the barrel I am super pleased so far. I haven't had a single jam or misfire yet