Ever have a tank split while filling

Was filling my Hatsan 1.6l
Buddy tank and right around 3800-4000 psi I heard a weird aluminum tin can sound
I looked at my tank and noticed the carbon fiber separating
Shut the comp down and immediately opened the valve to dump the tank
This is what I found

20241009_133332.jpg

20241009_133324.jpg

I do not believe I've seen a report like this before. As was suggested, the age and manufacturer of the tank would be useful information. Also if there was any visible damage prior to the event (there appears to be none). Did it seem to be leaking when you shut it down? I'm not suggesting it is usable, just curious if the liner failed first and air was gushing out.

Carbon fiber tanks are really thin aluminum tanks that are covered with carbon fiber. The limited test data I have seen shows large mechanical margins in the carbon fiber. My guess is this tank was built with a weak spot in the carbon fiber where the failure occurred. Perhaps too much resin and not enough fiber. Especially if the liner did not fail first. If the liner failed first, that could damage the carbon fiber. You would presumably know the liner failed because air would be rushing out - the carbon fiber is not expected to be able to stop a leak.

The good thing is this reinforces the possibility that when tanks like this fail it is not a big "explosion" but a more controlled leak event where injury is much less likely. I worry more about aluminum air chambers where there is no overwrap to contain fragments if they fail.

Well I have read numerous times that this in general is what CF tanks do when they fail. They generally don’t explode. That is the bright side. If it were me I would probably cut the thing in half and inspect the inside. Wonder if there is any evidence of moisture corrosion?

Just looked at the receipt
Aug 30th is when I got it
The tank says 07/22
Exp 7/37
As far as moisture goes I have an intake filter with beads and
One tuxing with beads and one small filter that takes those cotton filters so moisture should be an issue
No leaks no damage as I kept it in a neoprene tank protector
Not sure who makes these for hatsan?
in any case i decided to buy another brand. Omega 18 cu.ft with the new hp3 valve
Was going to buy a 74 cu ft air venturi some said omega has the better USA made regulator
So I went with it.

I'm just going to scratch this as a defective tank never filled over 4000 psi

20241010_083143.jpg

Attachments

• 20240807_164353.jpg
    20240807_164353.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Are you suggesting here that you plan to continue using the tank? Personally I’d do as trucker said and cut it in half, just to prevent it being used again.
Nooo I'm waiting to hear back from hasten as i sent the info with pics and want a replacement if they say toss it im going to cut in 1/2
i put my scope inside and there is a dimple right where the carbon fiber split so i think thin spot in the tank

Was filling my Hatsan 1.6l
Buddy tank and right around 3800-4000 psi I heard a weird aluminum tin can sound
I looked at my tank and noticed the carbon fiber separating
Shut the comp down and immediately opened the valve to dump the tank
This is what I found

View attachment 503140

View attachment 503141

@88turbocoupe Hell no I've never had that happen. Was it loud enough to hear clearly over your compressor? That's something the concerns me is not being able to hear something like that over a running compressor.

Wow! Did it "ping, pop or tinkle"? Was there any noise at all?

Good catch! You are attentive.

I say the tank needs to be neatly autopsied with a bandsaw. I don't have a big one but can anyone step up here?

Mike
sounded like a beer keg getting bumped then i looked and seen the fiber splitting shut the compressor down and opened the valve to dump
was definitely getting the pucker affect

I'm darned certain that the posters tongue was firmly in their cheek with that suggestion of Flex seal. :) While I am careful handling my old expired SCBA bottle if these bottles failed violently, we would be hearing about the failures. I'm new here and this is the first structural bottle failure I've heard of. I used the arm section of an old survival suit for my bottle, it's snug as a bug in a rug. The thick Neoprene stretches a bit and provides excellent protection for bumps and bruises.
China can and does provide very high quality products, they also produce stuff slightly better than garbage and often from the same factory. My DJI drone is among the highest quality products I have encountered, one important point? It was NOT CHEAP. We see the worst on Ebay Amazon Etc. all about the price.

Last edited:
Are you really serious? DANGEROUS suggestion!
I laughed when I read his obvious joke,,, as I imagined the knuckled head flex seal guy that slapped a patch on a leaking water bucket, slapping a patch on a leaking pcp bottle and watching the big bubble blow up in size like a chewing gum bubble,,, pop