Ever have a tank split while filling

Was filling my Hatsan 1.6l
Buddy tank and right around 3800-4000 psi I heard a weird aluminum tin can sound
I looked at my tank and noticed the carbon fiber separating
Shut the comp down and immediately opened the valve to dump the tank
This is what I found

20241009_133332.jpg

20241009_133324.jpg

Had an aluminum 170cc tube pop a small crack on my dreamline tactical. Was hand pumping and could not get it to top off. Picked up the gun and could feel air on my hand. Took me a while to sort out that it was not coming from any fittings. It was a 2021 tube and shipped it off to UA for inspection. I had a spare 220cc bottle that went on for now. UA said they no longer had tubes as a replacement and upgraded me into a 300cc bottle. From searching the UK forums, 2021 was a bad year for FX airtubes and was a common problem. Had to mark the crack with a colored marker as it was super small to see.

Maybe so for those, but not my Eaton 97 cu ft tank.
True. But the 2 tank failures Ive seen, neither were Chinese cylinders. An Eaton made crossfire 68/4500 burst at the junction of the bung for the valve threads and the cylinder body, and a Dräger that had sit in car all day in the August heat of Atlanta. To this day id still gladly use tanks from both of those brands.

(Edit: Original said, From both of brands)

A lot of the Chinese tanks are well made. ISO/CE standards aren't horrible. Things fail, it's scary, and it's potentially dangerous, but it's going to happen to even the best of them.

Aluminum and Carbon Fiber/Kevlar/Aramid wraps in a resin matrix are made out of materials that catastrophic failures, while terrifying are typically not life threatening. (Aside from the risk of the tank turning into a rocket)

Last edited:
Reactions: coastal drifter
Great point on becoming a rocket. That has always been a concern with bottled gas cylinders. An H size cylinder of O2 makes a heck of a rocket should the bottle topple over and snap off the valve on top. That is the primary reason for the heavy steel cover over the valve. O2 cylinders or any bottled gas should not be moved with the cap removed. A safety chain is a requirement to prevent the tank toppling while in use.

Reactions: $p00kygH0ST
Great point on becoming a rocket. That has always been a concern with bottled gas cylinders. An H size cylinder of O2 makes a heck of a rocket should the bottle topple over and snap off the valve on top. That is the primary reason for the heavy steel cover over the valve. O2 cylinders or any bottled gas should not be moved with the cap removed. A safety chain is a requirement to prevent the tank toppling while in use.
"BLEVE" and Rocketing are the main threats. Unless you're in a very confined space that is well sealed or said gas is toxic or an asphyxiant.

"BLEVE" and Rocketing are the main threats. Unless you're in a very confined space that is well sealed or said gas is toxic or an asphyxiant.
Standard rule for working with N20 analgesia systems. If you need to go in the tank closet, ALWAYS block the door open. N20 can be very enjoyable as long as we get our 15-20% of 02. The administration equipment is configured to deliver a maximum of 70% N20 concentration, cuz 100% will kill ya.

Standard rule for working with N20 analgesia systems. If you need to go in the tank closet, ALWAYS block the door open. N20 can be very enjoyable as long as we get our 15-20% of 02. The administration equipment is configured to deliver a maximum of 70% N20 concentration, cuz 100% will kill ya.
I used to do fire suppression systems. An accidental gas system purge was a huge fear back in '05-14. Server rooms, sensitive information areas, munitions lockers. Did work at the NSA somewhere in South or middle ga, warner robins AFB, Dobbins ARB, Benning. The early gas systems were in my opinion not fit to be anywhere humans can be sealed In.

I used to do fire suppression systems. An accidental gas system purge was a huge fear back in '05-14. Server rooms, sensitive information areas, munitions lockers. Did work at the NSA somewhere in South or middle ga, warner robins AFB, Dobbins ARB, Benning. The early gas systems were in my opinion not fit to be anywhere humans can be sealed In.
No kiddin. Owned a big commercial boat for about a decade. The engine room fire systems for big boats are also like that. If you are in the engine room, the fire will expire along with you.

No kiddin. Owned a big commercial boat for about a decade. The engine room fire systems for big boats are also like that. If you are in the engine room, the fire will expire along with you.
They're built with the assumption that humans all act logically in a fire. They don't. Some people just panic and lose all rationale and only think,"OMG TINY FIRE, BETTER LOSE MY F'ING MIND, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ELSE OMG A TINY SLOW MOVING SMOLDER IN A CONTAINER WITH ZERO FUEL OUTSIDE OF ITS CONTAINMENT, BETTER SCREAM AND COMPLETELY ABANDON THOUGHT AND LOSE COMPOSURE, BECAUSE IF ANYTHING HELPS, ITS DEFINITELY SCREAMING AND IGNORING EVERYONE ELSES WELLBEING, AND DROWNING OUT HELPFUL COMMUNICATION". So many will panic, and run straight for the pull-ring trigger, despite the fact the composed sensible people who know what's up and have some situational awareness are trying to solve the issue without catastrophic action in the area.

Halon and complete instant anoxic systems are effective, they should never have been in places where humans are likely to be... The advent of INERGEN or dry clean agent systems were a god send. If only we could do something about the human wrench in the gears. The people who completely panic. Used to refill/replace hood systems because some 71iq panicker saw a small flare up from a sautee pan or flat top griddle and pull the ring.

The same people who just react to words or see a snake 50 feet away and lose their minds.

Filed a dispute with PayPal
Took 1 day after I sent the pics of the tank
PayPal gave me 100% refund no questions asked

Funny thing about that hatsan tank
Amazon sells the same one for 199.00 but does not say hatsan but same label same tank

This time a spent a little more and got the omega
With the new Hp3 valve
Both have dot.

The china carbon bonds did there job, When my Scott tank let got the bands slipped so little I had to put in in the bath tub to see where the leak was coming from, I aired the tank up two or three times a week later it would be down to 3000 psi, Soap and spray bottle couldn't find the leaks , Bathtub did, The bottle was given to me and had a year left on its life,,
Mike

You are 100% correct.
The thickness of the aluminum liner in those tanks is thinner to save weight, the Aramid or carbon fiber wrap is to supplement the reduced hull thickness sacrifice for weight saving measures. 6063 and 7075 aluminum can and do routinely hold these pressures.

Of course the proper Aluminum alloy with adequate wall thickness will hold 4500 PSI. I'm not at all nervous working with my sieve type filter and it is Alu. alloy. The strength is in the "wrapper" with the CF or Aramid wrapped air tanks. I'll continue to use long expired high quality SCBA bottles. Consider the environment and the handling these are made for. I do inspect for damage to the "wrapper" prior to using it. Again, I am very comfortable with the practice, some folks are not and that's OK. Shiny new CF air bottles are available at 6-10 times the cost of good condition out of date air bottles. I'd rather increase the number of PCP guns I have, or add cool goodies to them. The air is just a means to an end. My personal focus is minimizing the cost of that "free air" to maximize my enjoyment of the hobby. I am intrigued with the current crop of night vision gear, rats in the dark....sign me up. I HATE rats. I shall continue to respect 4,500 PSI of air pressure, heck 100 PSI will get your attention! My latest toy from China are screw on reusable lids for plastic beverage bottles with a spot in the cap for an inflation needle. Pumped up to 100 PSI they make a very satisfying bang. Easy clean up too they stay together (mostly) Be sure to put a string on the cap via the handy hole for one, you WILL lose them. Rather like free Tannerite. Except for losing a nickel or dime on the deposit. I got mine from Temu for around 10 bucks for 10 of them. EBay likely has them too. Kinda pricey for what they are, they do work well.

I try not to buy from China...Just because! very difficult though.
I do now. Once I saw the exact same manufacturer on my $359 FX BOTTLE as the $110 "tuxing" bottle from Amazon I got angry. They're both the same exact tanks. I noticed the alsafe logo on the tuxing tanks and did some research. Same exact bottle. SAME EXACT. What fx, airmarksman, air venturi, Scandinavian Arms do is absolutely free market capitalism but, for Christ sake, dont they fillet us enough on the price of the guns and for the proprietary gear and accessories? Never again when the situation is there is an identical or proven equivalent option from China or ROK,TAIWAN, Serbia, Slovakia, Bulgaria etc will I pay 3x the price

I do now. Once I saw the exact same manufacturer on my $359 FX BOTTLE as the $110 "tuxing" bottle from Amazon I got angry. They're both the same exact tanks. I noticed the alsafe logo on the tuxing tanks and did some research. Same exact bottle. SAME EXACT. What fx, airmarksman, air venturi, Scandinavian Arms do is absolutely free market capitalism but, for Christ sake, dont they fillet us enough on the price of the guns and for the proprietary gear and accessories? Never again when the situation is there is an identical or proven equivalent option from China or ROK,TAIWAN, Serbia, Slovakia, Bulgaria etc will I pay 3x the price
trust me I understand, that's why I said its difficult. Rebrand is the name of the game. Compressors too!