Skout Evo in the wild

New arrival.
livin the Dream…

IMG_6892.jpeg

IMG_6894.jpeg

IMG_6891.jpeg

OK, I will try to answer questions posted.
This configuration is 25 Cal w/long barrel. I prefer 30 Cal but I can use this with the 25 Cal Corbin production slugs (Skout Sniper Slugs). It has the Camo anodising, long Arca rail, Tesla moderator, and the Bench Rest Chassis (necessary if using the Rear Rest, o/w might prefer the eko-skeleton butt pad).
The front rest is an experiment; it consists of a small tire with eighteen 2 lb lead balls secured inside the tire. It is strapped to a small RSS splayed tripod holding one of the larger RSS ball heads. This arrangement allows rotation in three axes with virtually no hysteresis, but no translation movement. It is rock solid but a pain in the ass to move around.
The scope is a TT 7X35 w/a Gen3 XR fine reticle.
Bear in mind, I have not owned an Epoch and this rifle presents a new approach to trying to solve old problems and will take me some time to understand how it works. I would like to say the current trend to rely on UTube to convey what manuals were designed for is disappointing. A good manual is an experience in itself and not easily replaced. Besides, people who read manuals live longer…
After getting the Evo sighted-in and a few missteps, I shot a magazine of the Sniper Slugs at 100 yds. You will have to take my word for it but I am attaching a photo. Of the twenty five shots, five were fliers or, more likely, operator failure. The remaining 80% (near 3:30 O’Clock) were hole in (a slightly larger) hole & measured around ½ MOA. This was at around 910 fps, out of the box w/o any tuning by me and is probably below optimum muzzle velocity. The SD was 3.8 untethered and declining which indicates a lack of tune.
Of course, all this is anecdotal - there is a lot to learn. I also purchased a Red Panda recently and am impressed with that platform as well as the Evo. I do think Skout has an advantage in having its engineering and much of its production here. Protyping is endless repeats of trying new ideas and being able to do that repetition quickly (“failing fast”) is a strategic advantage. But I also want to say I have nothing but admiration for these teams of engineers and others who bring these products to us. We are indeed fortunate to live in a country where innovation is welcomed and the rewards commensurate.

IMG_6896.jpeg

IMG_6897.jpeg

IMG_6895.jpeg

I saw that tire, and for about 10 seconds i was WTF, but then my grey goop between the ears kicked out " weight "
Seeing your lead balls at first i was thinking " those might be zinc anode balls " CUZ you use balls like that in electro Zinck plating, which i have a little experience in too.

It is good to see i am not the only one propping the rear of the rifle up with what ever is at hand, been 2 years of trying to remember to buy a damn bag and i just keep not doing that.
Not sure i would like monopod.

Contemplating WIFI camera for paper target at 134 yards, CUZ shooting .177 marks / holes are pretty small even using a 30 X or 40 X scope ( cheap )

I saw that tire, and for about 10 seconds i was WTF, but then my grey goop between the ears kicked out " weight "
Seeing your lead balls at first i was thinking " those might be zinc anode balls " CUZ you use balls like that in electro Zinck plating, which i have a little experience in too.

It is good to see i am not the only one propping the rear of the rifle up with what ever is at hand, been 2 years of trying to remember to buy a damn bag and i just keep not doing that.
Not sure i would like monopod.

Contemplating WIFI camera for paper target at 134 yards, CUZ shooting .177 marks / holes are pretty small even using a 30 X or 40 X scope ( chea
More Observations
This rifle, as I rcvd it, has a hair trigger - more so than any other rifle I have shot. Be careful. Of course, you can adjust it every way imaginable. The difference in noise with and w/o the Tesla moderator is like night and day. I think, with this moderator the Evo in 25 Cal is backyard friendly but that depends on your bkyd and neighbors. I have a couple of the STO (Silent Thunder Ordnance) Tesla derived moderators and will compare the noise from them with the Evo moderator when I have a chance. It takes awhile to fill 25 pellets/slugs in the magazine; it would be great if you could buy these stacked in small tubes holding 25 and simply hold the open tube upside down while moving it around the periphery of the magazine. The butt rest is attached to the vertical member of the rear rest (if you have one) with four bolts. This is inconvenient to take on & off; better to have it snap on/off With a locking lever…
Still trying the understand the interplay btw the different tuning setting…
Peashooter: I have the intermediate version of the Longshot Camera (The Marksman) which is rated for 300 yds. It has its own WiFi and works flawlessly at 100 yds. The image has excellent (5M) resolution which allows you to zoom the scale quite a bit. It also has a clever “last shot” feature which basically switches back & forth between two images taken before and after the shot - revealing the last shot as “blinking”. This can be handy if you have a lot of shots on target. It works pretty well unless you have shredded paper blowing in the wind.

As far as tuning once you get your speed set with the hpr, play with the dwell settings a bit. In my epoch the dwell doesn’t do a whole lot with the velocity but you will hit points that it becomes noticeably different in the sound and feel of the shot. Also how the gun groups. I actually moved much lower on my .25 than where it was received at. I didn’t get it new and it was set in the low 30’s and now I’m at 24 and it shoots super accurate with 33.95.
These guns certainly aren’t the quietest. The more I shoot the epoch I think a lot of the “noise” might be the gun action itself rather than the shot that might be heard down range 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: HonorableMention
OK, I will try to answer questions posted.
This configuration is 25 Cal w/long barrel. I prefer 30 Cal but I can use this with the 25 Cal Corbin production slugs (Skout Sniper Slugs). It has the Camo anodising, long Arca rail, Tesla moderator, and the Bench Rest Chassis (necessary if using the Rear Rest, o/w might prefer the eko-skeleton butt pad).
The front rest is an experiment; it consists of a small tire with eighteen 2 lb lead balls secured inside the tire. It is strapped to a small RSS splayed tripod holding one of the larger RSS ball heads. This arrangement allows rotation in three axes with virtually no hysteresis, but no translation movement. It is rock solid but a pain in the ass to move around.
The scope is a TT 7X35 w/a Gen3 XR fine reticle.
Bear in mind, I have not owned an Epoch and this rifle presents a new approach to trying to solve old problems and will take me some time to understand how it works. I would like to say the current trend to rely on UTube to convey what manuals were designed for is disappointing. A good manual is an experience in itself and not easily replaced. Besides, people who read manuals live longer…
After getting the Evo sighted-in and a few missteps, I shot a magazine of the Sniper Slugs at 100 yds. You will have to take my word for it but I am attaching a photo. Of the twenty five shots, five were fliers or, more likely, operator failure. The remaining 80% (near 3:30 O’Clock) were hole in (a slightly larger) hole & measured around ½ MOA. This was at around 910 fps, out of the box w/o any tuning by me and is probably below optimum muzzle velocity. The SD was 3.8 untethered and declining which indicates a lack of tune.
Of course, all this is anecdotal - there is a lot to learn. I also purchased a Red Panda recently and am impressed with that platform as well as the Evo. I do think Skout has an advantage in having its engineering and much of its production here. Protyping is endless repeats of trying new ideas and being able to do that repetition quickly (“failing fast”) is a strategic advantage. But I also want to say I have nothing but admiration for these teams of engineers and others who bring these products to us. We are indeed fortunate to live in a country where innovation is welcomed and the rewards commensurate.

View attachment 481698

View attachment 481699

View attachment 481700
Really am digging your innovative "Lead Sled." That's what I like about this forum, seeing the way people come up with solutions to problems! And finally someone has posted some targets. Pretty impressive. Waiting for more targets from anyone. Thanks for the post.