• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Resources experiment-with-rifle-position-on-rest

A good daily stop at accurateshooter.
And more...
1719386527225.png

Interesting. It seems they're judging a good 'balance' of the rifle in the rests by how well the crosshairs stay on POA after the shot.

Considering how little an air rifle moves in the rest, it might require a different assessment of the best bag balance. But I think that's not really a big problem, since we don't tune loads in the same way as centerfire SR benchrest shooters, we can go right to group size or score.

But I think that's not really a big problem, since we don't tune loads in the same way as centerfire SR benchrest shooters
Hey D. Most serious real benchrest competitors mark the best stock/rest location for best performance. We do not have too many AG 'knobs' to turn so we use what we have. We do tune our rifles in the same way but we look for different indicators; some may not have experienced the methods described yet.
The link was provided so new-to-benchrest can expand their own thinking box and also most realize CF and AG are different animals and learn accordingly.
Most competitors allow various degrees of recoil, even locked, so some of the article points are valid.
The important take-away is shoot a lot and try anything that will improve your game

Last edited:
There are two games in Benchrest: shooting for smallest 5 round group, or shooting multiple 1 shot bulls for points.

When shooting groups via IBS format, I use a Targetshooting.com one piece rest. Gross elevation and fine windage are controlled at the front, fine elevation at the rear. Once I set my POA I lift and drop the butt to release torque on the rifle and fire. Return to battery with this rest is spot on in regards to POA for the next 4 shots.

This rest is adjustable in length. Gross length is based on the rifle, fine length is based on finding the lowest vibration per shot.

For point shooting in the N50 format, I use a PQP Lite 1-piece pendulum style rest. With this rest the entire rifle swings as you move from bull to bull and therefore no torque is applied to the rifle.

I adjust the forearm stop to position the rifle for the lowest vibration.

Having some recoil is important. If I set up the top so my .177 < 12FPE Thomas BR does not freely recoil backwards, the whole system vibrates during each shot. However some forearm side to side movement occurs if the top is loose enough to allow recoil.

I found using a bag top instead of my roller bearing or Delrin tops consistently produces higher points with nearly no vibration and no side to side movement at the forearm during each shot/recoil.

Last edited: