Extremely aggressive and dangerous dragonfly @ 35 yds

@ZekeZX10 That was an awesome shot!! My fiance's father called dragon flies "Dining Needles". A total new one by me!! Anyone ever hear that term?

We have Cicada Killer Wasps here. Not sure if these things are all over the country or not but they get up to around 2" long!! They're huge and they dig holes in your yard so they gotta go.
Here's one next to a penny but they get bigger.
1722463198212.png

They don't land much but when they do I have to try and pick them off. Shot the ass off one once LOL but nothing much in this pic for point of reference to appreciate how big it was.
1722463445830.png

Reactions: ZekeZX10
I remember shooting cartons of BBs out of the Daisy 880 at Mormon Crickets one year as a kid on my Grandpa’s central Utah farm. It was probably 1984-85ish. That was a hoot, especially shooting the ones that landed in the water and were floating down the ditch.

I swear my left arm was bigger than my right that summer… from pumping that sucker up about 5000 times!

• Haha
Reactions: ZekeZX10
@ZekeZX10 That was an awesome shot!! My fiance's father called dragon flies "Dining Needles". A total new one by me!! Anyone ever hear that term?

We have Cicada Killer Wasps here. Not sure if these things are all over the country or not but they get up to around 2" long!! They're huge and they dig holes in your yard so they gotta go.
Here's one next to a penny but they get bigger.
View attachment 484488
They don't land much but when they do I have to try and pick them off. Shot the ass off one once LOL but nothing much in this pic for point of reference to appreciate how big it was.
View attachment 484493
Damn they're big...must hurt like a bitch if they sting you lol
Never heard that term "Dining Needles", new one for me

Reactions: scottg0814
The last time that I zeroed my Beeman P17, I managed to stop a charging Pill Bug. I aimed, plinked, and it suddenly just disappeared. I feel fortunate.
I don't do video, and had I had no carcass for the trophy shot. So, y'all will just have to believe me.

it was one of these ferocious bastids:
R.7632888b613678cb2f34c677bf5c8e18
Those rolly polly's don't mess around lol

I tend to encourage Dragonflies around my property. Here are few things they eat.

Below is the list of What do Dragonflies Eat
  • Small Insects: Mosquitoes, Flies, Gnats, Midges, Butterflies, Moths, Beetles, Ants, Bees, Wasps.
  • Aquatic Prey (for Nymphs): Tadpoles, Small fish, Water fleas (Daphnia).Aquatic larvae mosquito larvae, mayfly nymphs, damselfly larvae, etc.
  • Occasional Prey: While the above-mentioned insects constitute the primary diet of dragonflies, they may opportunistically consume other small arthropods or even spiders if the opportunity arises.
They can have all the Mosquitoes, Flies, Gnats and whatever a Midges is they want.

No Rollie Pollies, that's a whole different beast.

Smitty

Need about 100 of'em just to make a sandwich
If you didn't waste so much meat with that big gun it would take half as many bugs to make a sandwich.

Instead of trying to make an air rifle shoot bigger projectiles why not go the other way? Make a .10 bore that shoots slugs. A bug gun.

Think of the invasive insects you could take out. I bet plenty of guys would find a use for them. It would open a whole new world of tiny targets.

I'm going to patent a .10 bore PCP for shooting invasive murder hornets and lantern bugs. Sell a bunch of add on sh!t that makes it better/faster/sexier. Offer repair parts for exorbitant prices. Then offer a little better one next year.

Ill get the word out on social media. Have a couple young dudes post photos of their trophy grizzly bee hunts. Maybe a YouTube with some bearded guy in a tee shirt explaining why it's the best cockroach gun ever.

I'll sell truckloads of "Bedrock 10's". I'll become wealthy. Children will sing songs in my honor.

All because you shot that bug with a fat bullet and wasted all that good meat.

Last edited:
If you didn't waste so much meat with that big gun it would take half as many bugs to make a sandwich.

Instead of trying to make an air rifle shoot bigger projectiles why not go the other way? Make a .10 bore that shoots slugs. A bug gun.

Think of the invasive insects you could take out. I bet plenty of guys would find a use for them. It would open a whole new world of tiny targets.

I'm going to patent a .10 bore PCP for shooting invasive murder hornets and lantern bugs. Sell a bunch of add on sh!t that makes it better/faster/sexier. Offer repair parts for exorbitant prices. Then offer a little better one next year.

Ill get the word out on social media. Have a couple young dudes post photos of their trophy grizzly bee hunts. Maybe a YouTube with some bearded guy in a tee shirt explaining why it's the best cockroach gun ever.

I'll sell truckloads of "Bedrock 10's". I'll become wealthy. Children will sing songs in my honor.

All because you shot that bug with a fat bullet and wasted all that good meat.
Lol, you know the only reason I use the 30 all the time is if I run into a coyote. Unfortunately the only ones I've seen been in populated areas like the edge of town and the golf course 🫤

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
Lol, you know the only reason I use the 30 all the time is if I run into a coyote. Unfortunately the only ones I've seen been in populated areas like the edge of town and the golf course 🫤
Yeah they are thick in suburbia. Foxes too. The neighborhoods are where all the game is. There are more coyotes living behind Home Depot than homeless. And for the same reasons. It's a lot easier to get a meal than in the desert.

The collared dove and grackels love the pet food and water in every yard. The foxes and coyotes love the cats and birds in every yard. As long as we keep feeding the foxes the foxes will be waiting to eat.

You can drive down any residential street in Las Cruces at 3 am and see more skunks, foxes, and cats than you could imagine. The coyotes are just THICK at the perimeter of town.

Between the coyotes and the red tailed hawks a cats lifespan is about 1 year. Half the human population has toxoplasmosis and has 50 cats in their house. As soon as Mr. Fluffy ventures over the back wall they are lunch. As soon as a cat goes up a tree the grackels start fussing and pretty soon a red tail hawk notices. The end comes pretty quickly.

Still everybody puts water, bird seed, pet food and garbage out daily. It's some crazy stuff. It's like the majority of the population are clueless about how things work. They just keep on having tearful funeral services for Mr. Snuggles and hating on the coyotes.

My money is on the coyotes and cockroaches. They will be here long after humans have fooled themselves into extinction.

Last edited: