• *The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

FAT BOY...how did you make it better?

OK I got this can down to 74 to 75db at 15ft in front and 5ft to the side. When I started it was 78, 79db.
I wrapped the felt that it came with as tight as possible. Held it in place with a couple thin strips of masking tape.

Next I wrapped the core with this heat register filter stuff I found at Home Depot for 5 bucks or so. You'll have to cut them to fit but wrap them as tight as possible, stuff as much as you can in there.
20220827_144850_resized.jpg

Next I slid the can on that I had previously wrapped, 2 layers thick in neoprene foam from Hobby Lobby. You get a 8x15 sheet 3/32 thick for a buck.
20220827_145151_resized.jpg

20220827_144953_resized.jpg

And the end result is
20220827_145038_resized.jpg

At one point I even tried packing and putting baffles in the extension tube. Be glad to send the baffles and packing to someone if they want them. Just reimbursement for shipping. I even tried that big thick piece of foam in this pic.
20220827_185726_resized.jpg

Hope this helps, you all have a good day.
Mike

Last edited:
Nice work! You have reduced your signature by more than half! 74 or 75 dB at 5 yards is very good performance!

A problem may crop up if you move that thing to a more powerful rifle. You'll want to keep that in mind if you do.

74dB at 15 feet drops into a 38 dB noise floor at about a thousand feet. The best ears probably won't even be able to detect the sound of your shot at 400 feet even if you have them watching for it. 😉 Now that doesn't sound all that good the way I put it, but remember your EARS have to hear it and they are not like a microphone. There is a whole lot of processing going on in your audio system that a microphone doesn't do. That processing comes at the cost of sensitivity and discrimination.,

Last edited:
It depends on just what you want the FatBoy 2.0 to do. There are quieter cans available but the way the airstripper works, is great!
I use one on my Crown mk2, 600mm barrel in .25 cal. and found , with the right tuning, the FatBoy 2.0 increased the accuracy by stripping any residue air while the projectile leaves the barrel making for a cleaner flight.

Reactions: douger
Mike -

That outer cover is an interesting idea.
Since sound is vibration, I had thought of putting a layer of shrink tube over the o.d. to see what might happen. I like your idea better !

Maybe a piece of shrink tube , "over" the foam sheet for protection.

I've also thought of something more inside. The inner housing/baffle is pretty large from the .22 pellet diameter to the screen. Like...blown foam (the while packing stuff). It should hold its shape inside of the two chambers without help.

Mike

I did some testing with my Fat Boy today.
As mounted to my Walther Reign, (.22) my DonnyFL Tatsu is notably quieter. Hmm ?

So, I started looking around the house for material. I found some 5/16" thk. flat sheet packing foam. The white stuff that's used to slide in-between different parts in the box.
I tried it around the original screen, without the original black felt. While the Tatsu is still quieter, this foam did make a pretty noticeable sound difference. Still slightly louder than the Tatsu, and still has the "crack" sound, but notably quieter than the felt only.
Note - this is in the hall of my house, and by ear only.

So far, the only gun that the Fat Boy quiets somewhat successfully is my AP16, .22 pistol. I'll give the altered Fat Boy a shot on the AP16 tomorrow maybe. See how well it does.

Mike

I did some testing with my Fat Boy today.
As mounted to my Walther Reign, (.22) my DonnyFL Tatsu is notably quieter. Hmm ?

So, I started looking around the house for material. I found some 5/16" thk. flat sheet packing foam. The white stuff that's used to slide in-between different parts in the box.
I tried it around the original screen, without the original black felt. While the Tatsu is still quieter, this foam did make a pretty noticeable sound difference. Still slightly louder than the Tatsu, and still has the "crack" sound, but notably quieter than the felt only.
Note - this is in the hall of my house, and by ear only.

So far, the only gun that the Fat Boy quiets somewhat successfully is my AP16, .22 pistol. I'll give the altered Fat Boy a shot on the AP16 tomorrow maybe. See how well it does.

Mike

A bipod would add weight which would calm down any resonance if you really wanted to get fine tuney with it

While sitting watching TV this evening, on the shelf under my helmet on the other side of the room...
There's a box of N95 masks. I never used them, because I don't like the "around the ears" elastic bands.

But I got wondering, has anyone thought of using the mask (filter) material as a main layer, or partial layer of deadening material ?
I may give it a try tomorrow.

Mike

• Haha
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Fun experiment:

Shoot big ass DFL Emperor LDC on AEA HP SS Max, then grab ahold of said LDC and shoot again.

The difference in sound is pretty clear to my ear, I'm gonna find some ways to muffle this can down with vibration absorbing materials.
I spent 16 years working for the largest Sealant & Insulation company in the state of New Mexico. Every now and again we would have buildings that we would have to make as sound proof as possible in the way that we sealed them. One of the things that we use to use was acoustical pads made by STI or Dottie. We would wrap them around electrical boxes, power outlets etc in order to maintain the acoustical integrity/requirements as specified in the details of the design. I mention it because I've been thinking of wrapping the baffles with a layer of that to see if it works in an air gun moderator.

I spent 16 years working for the largest Sealant & Insulation company in the state of New Mexico. Every now and again we would have buildings that we would have to make as sound proof as possible in the way that we sealed them. One of the things that we use to use was acoustical pads made by STI or Dottie. We would wrap them around electrical boxes, power outlets etc in order to maintain the acoustical integrity/requirements as specified in the details of the design. I mention it because I've been thinking of wrapping the baffles with a layer of that to see if it works in an air gun moderator.
Cool idea!
I'm considering a few things, dynamat, foam, rhinoliner, tape....

Reactions: abqjoe