Feel free to call me stupid..... Or help clearing pellets stuck in barrel

So I got my hands on an FX DreamLite .25
Only had 500 pellets through it and it was a GREAT deal.
A good freind had cast some Slugs We came to call Trash Cans as that's what they look like!
We shot a few and I had the FX set to High power. No problem but not great past 20 yards or so.
Here's where I got stupid. We decided to try them with the hollow point out. And maybe turn the power down.
So... I loaded 5 in the magazine and took a shot. Missed the target at 20 yards but I was zeroed at 50 so thought nothing of it.
Adjusted POA 4 more times and got back blow out of the breech on the 5th shot! Uh OH!!!!!!!

Yep. 5 Slugs stacked in the derned barrel!
:eek:

Have it all taken down but looks like a Drill and extraction tool will need to be made.

Well....live and learn! Don't try using any hardened tools in that barrel. Try tapping them out with an oak dowel. Be patient, it may take quite a few strikes using a small hammer with light force. Put some marks on the dowel so you can verify that you're making progress.

Perhaps others with more experience will chime in.

GL,
Feinwerk

Feel free to call me stupid.....

Alls that will do is have fokes get you confused with me..🤤.

I n ver tried on a slug bit i did braze a screw to a hard like spring steel wire and got it to bite in and pulled it or what chunks it pulled out.. enugh chunks removed did make the tapping part go smoother .. then i am A mo- ron.😉

• Haha
Reactions: Ezana4CE
Lead melts at a far lower temperature than steel. That should be all you need to know. But just in case, barrels are usually made out of soft steel. Once you get the lead out don't quench it. Heated while it's hanging on a wire. Let it cool slowly.
Get yourself a tube of cold blue and your job will be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rawroots and 450BM
Regarding the torch/melt 'em idea I had a similar situation with a muzzleloader many years back. The heating method worked but there were some things i learned doing it. You don't need much heat, the lead will melt well before the barrel takes any kind of red heat coloration. Recommend you do it in low light so you can stop heating if the steel starts to glow. The barrel will be softer even with a "non-red" level of heat so be careful to avoid bending it.

I'd recommend clamping it vertically in a padded vise. Heat slowly up and down from the blockage to the end that you want the lead to drain from. Tap from above with a brass or aluminum rod while you heat. When the lead melts you want it to drop straight out of the barrel. There is a risk of lead solidifying in the barrel as it melts out. May need to use the brass rod to "chip" out any bits that stick. The barrel will likely have a permanent discoloration where you heated when finished.

Good luck.

PS, the muzzleloader stuation above was the result of firing with a bore obstruction. I was NOT heating the barrel with a powder charge...

One at a time not all at once. Slam hammer good advice. Not much heat needed heat gun better than torch. Try to expand your barrel not melt the lead.
Never thought of a heat gun. Actually 500 degrees or so is enough to significantly soften the lead without melting it. Once softened (but NOT melted) it may move with taps from a non-ferrous rod much more easily. The only downside of doing it this way IMO is a likely "smear" of leading as you push them out. May need to use some sort of powder burner de-leading compound first after getting them out.

What I've run into tapping on ot was the tapping mashed and expanded the projectile to stuck in worse..lol. .. and a .177 barrel dont give much room to work as well..

I feel for ya, from a slug to a cotton patch right stuck dead center in a barrel. You'll stumble on the right combination to get it out eventually..

P.s.. i found choice words called at it dont help temove them any beyter or faster..

They make a tool for blk powder to do what you need to do. It is basically a screw on the end of a rod for pulling slugs out from the muzzle end. Good luck heating your barrel can help if super tight.
I'm familiar with those tools. The smallest one I've seen available is 32 cal:

Might be able to take one of the 32 cal units and grind it down to fit a 25 cal barrel. Would need the pulling rod with the appropriate threading still.