Feels like old times

I've always loved hunting with airguns, and feel squirrels were made for airgunning. However I don't hunt much anymore, and am trying to encourage squirrel propagation on my thirty acre place. Consequently I seldom hunt squirrels nowadays; only taking out those that stray into my yard where my two work-shops reside. Started doing that after the first time a squirrel took up residence in one shop, chewed holes in the ceiling, and had a litter in the attic. 🤬

So when I saw a squirrel scamper across my back yard today after I'd (earlier) been shooting my shoulder-stocked Huben GK1 super-pistol, I decided to see if I could take out the interloper before it could squat or vandalize my shops. Grabbing the most effective airgun hunting rig ever, I figured Maggyy might enjoy learning to squirrel hunt.

Who Me?.jpg

Unfortunately by then the object of our quest had disappeared. Knowing something intensely interesting was going on, Maggyy was running around the yard as I slow-walked while scanning the trees for any sign and encouraging Maggyy's search. An extremely sharp-eyed predator of seven decades, I notice animate forms, color and movement like no bipedal this side of the Terminator.

I soon saw the slightest movement in my peripheral, and locked onto it while raising the scoped pistol-carbine. Even at 7X magnification it still wasn't certain if I was seeing a knot on a limb, or the top half of a squirrel head; but the more I looked, the more it seemed it could be the latter.

Though only 20-25 yards, the steep angle, small target area, and offhand shot presentation was nevertheless challenging enough to make things interesting. I needn't have worried about losing my hunting mojo to advancing age. The shot went right where intended; right between the ear and eyeball.

1724040358368.png

Maggyy loved it! And doing full credit to her Australian Shepherd breed, I'm sure one lesson is all it will take for her squirrel-hunting education.

The deceased being a tender young boar made for a quite tasty barbecue. The whole experience reminds me how much I miss hunting squirrel with airguns.

Ready for the grill-

1724043161361.png

Last edited:
I've always loved hunting with airguns, and feel squirrels were made for airgunning. However I don't hunt much anymore, and am trying to encourage squirrel propagation on my thirty acre place. Consequently I seldom hunt squirrels nowadays; only taking out those that stray into my yard where my two work-shops reside. Started doing that after the first time a squirrel took up residence in one shop, chewed holes in the ceiling, and had a litter in the attic. 🤬

So when I saw a squirrel scamper across my back yard today after I'd (earlier) been shooting my shoulder-stocked Huben GK1 super-pistol, I decided to see if I could take out the interloper before it could squat or vandalize my shops. Grabbing the most effective airgun hunting rig ever, I figured Maggyy might enjoy learning to squirrel hunt.

View attachment 489497

Unfortunately by then the object of our quest had disappeared. Knowing something intensely interesting was going on, Maggyy was running around the yard as I slow-walked while scanning the trees for any sign and encouraging Maggyy's search. An extremely sharp-eyed predator of seven decades, I notice animate forms, color and movement like no bipedal this side of the Terminator.

I soon saw the slightest movement in my peripheral, and locked onto it while raising the scoped pistol-carbine. Even at 7X magnification it still wasn't certain if I was seeing a knot on a limb, or the top half of a squirrel head; but the more I looked, the more it seemed it could be the latter.

Though only 20-25 yards, the steep angle, small target area, and offhand shot presentation was nevertheless challenging enough to make things interesting. I needn't have worried about losing my hunting mojo to advancing age. The shot went right where intended; right between the ear and eyeball.

View attachment 489490

Maggyy loved it! And doing full credit to her Australian Shepherd breed, I'm sure one lesson is all it will take for her squirrel-hunting education.

The deceased being a tender young boar made for a quite tasty barbecue. The whole experience reminds me how much I miss hunting squirrel with airguns.

Ready for the grill-

View attachment 489494
Great post! I need to get back to regular small game hunting and switch things up from just iguana removal. I love the stock design on your GK1

View attachment 489497

View attachment 489490

Ready for the grill-

View attachment 489494
I am currently Fattening up a bunch of squirrels for the fall hunt with bird seed from the feeder . About Thanksgiving they will be nice and fat for the coming winter . Nice shot BTW and great looking stock on the gun .

I am currently Fattening up a bunch of squirrels for the fall hunt with bird seed from the feeder . About Thanksgiving they will be nice and fat for the coming winter . Nice shot BTW and great looking stock on the gun .
LOL beerthief....you feed them that long and they will become sausages....😂👍🥳

@AirNGasman Well I hope to see more of it from you. At least y'all have an open season out there. For some reason East Texas has season dates, while the rest of the state does not (probably because it had been so popular in the region in decades past).

This was a timely turn of events, coming as it did shortly after reading your excellent post in the squirrels thread last week containing a link to the TP&W article detailing Texas squirrel species identification. I've often wondered what squirrel species I was hunting in various parts of Texas; now I know they were usually Fox Squirrels (as was this one... I think). Many, MANY THANKS for that excellent post, E. (y)

That it's now on the second page of that thread reinforces my belief that interest in learning is fast succumbing to sensory overload(s) from many sides. o_O

Happy Hunting,
R

Another great post Ron, and I must agree with you about squirrel's being the perfect airgun quarry.

And BTW, the season in my part of Tennessee opens this Saturday, so you know where I'll be. Already told this missus.

EDIT: just a random thought, as I'm not sure if there is such a subspecies as a Western fox squirrel, but the fox squirrel in your pic doesn't have the white blaze across the face and ears like the ones around here, which are the eastern variety -

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
the fox squirrel in your pic doesn't have the white blaze across the face and ears like the ones around here

This being a young Texas fox squirrel, he hadn't grown the mask yet Steve. But once they reach about 25 pounds our fox squirrels develop a mask, go almost totally nocturnal, and their diets shift to easier sources. Those most successful in raiding game feeders and dumpsters can get as large as fifty pounds or more-

1724167538566.png

You guys are lucky, our season does not open until October 1. My little hound from the pound, Cola, watches our oak trees for squirrels or other wildlife while I watch TV. She goes crazy when she sees one. They can hear her even though she is inside the house with the windows and doors closed, however. Not all of them run but if they've been chased before they do. I'm keeping her inside more to try and get her to calm down a little and the squirrels to get over confident. I do better after the leaves fall but that won't happen until November at the earliest. I agree squirrels are a great airgun target. Nearly any PCP has enough power and lots of springers do too. They are small enough to be a bit challenging target, especially when at the top of a big oak flattened against a limb. When I pop one Cola gets even more energized and will race to get to them. She is too excited to sniff them out if they burrow in the leaves, however. If she sees them and they are not quite dead she picks them up and shakes them until they are dead.

View attachment 489497

View attachment 489490

Ready for the grill-

View attachment 489494
Can't wait for October Ron! My favorite thing to do.

Reactions: Bandito
I have to say Maggy is a pretty baby. And that squirrel looks good all spread out on a plate. I have one I had to teach not to chew up my sunflowers. He is golden brown out of my smoker. I use a secret marinade that takes some special preparation ahead of time before smoking. It sits in the marinade only about 20 minutes, then cook. I might share it over a PM. Be Well, 'dito.

Last edited: