FX Feet are wet once more with a Fx Dreamline Tac-Compact build & mod

This little rig fell into my hands on such a killer deal !!! So it stayed with me and got a Motorheads AG work over :oops:

Started with quieting it down as the factory 320mm .177 barrel had quite the bark !! Was not wanting the length of an effective LDC so went about designing and fabricating a secondary Shroud to fit over the OEM shroud. This 1 1/2" CF tube came off an offset RAW moderator / LDC. As did one of the Air strippers at exit which was cut down and Re-threaded 1/2-20 fitting the OEM shroud exit threads. Added length a mere 2 1/4" (y)

Next was fix of IMO FX'S less that effective 5 stacked o-rings under crush at barrel thimble retention miens. In it's place a machined Delrin sleeve having counter sunk bevels on each end. 1 o-ring at each end forced by the bevels to crush inward against liner. The sleeve fabricated has an I.D. fit to liner that is a modest snug slip fit also sized to fit thimble housing in a similar light but snug fit. With end nut snugged up the barrel rings like a wind chime with a finger flick ... It is now one with the thimble housing !!

Up next the trigger, yea that same o'l same o'l rolling barrel with a notch set FX has used for many years now. Out came the eye loupe to take a closer look at profile for the sear notch finding .. well lets say not impressed 🥴.. Out came the Stones and ceramics taking the surface finish from blaw to crisp & smooth. Hammer holding sear next sharpening and smoothing up the surfaces in contact. Installed it all back in place & adjusted ... Hot Damn !! It is super smooth and if ball plunger is set critical perhaps a 2 ounce creep free trigger break.

Placed an inclinometer with double stick tape on receivers left side where butt stock folds in over it w/o contact.
Up top side a USO TS-3 3 to 12 power compact scope with an Optisan EVX 44mm sun shade attached. Scopewerks nautilus side wheel and D.O.P.E card around barrel.
Telescopic wind flag on the right side rounds it out.

Little gun came to me power maxed out with 10.3's @ 890 fps, reg was at 150 bar & power wheel maxed out. Shot count dismal and noisy !!!
Now regs @ 110 bar & power wheel on 9 shooting JSB 8.4's @ 900 fps & making a solid 70 shots at @ 15 fpe with very low noise.

So just a share of a quick & tidy revamp. Not owned an FX for many years now, so a BIG break in tradition around here.

Thanks for reading along :giggle:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
You have worked your magic on that dandy little rig… She looks very capable, looking forward to hearing how she performs at your field target matches…🙏
Naw, No FT as the low power Low BC pellet slinging is more frustration than satisfaction.
Set up as a FT rig is just a natural thing at this point. 15 fpe and an 8.4 the "About" 50 yards is correct in limitations.

It is to be a carry in field, hike about plinker & nothing more.

Naw, No FT as the low power Low BC pellet slinging is more frustration than satisfaction.
Set up as a FT rig is just a natural thing at this point. 15 fpe and an 8.4 the "About" 50 yards is correct in limitations.

It is to be a carry in field, hike about plinker & nothing more.
Thought it was set up for field target… nonetheless a sweet plinking, hikers gun.

I was searching for a hikers gun for some time, asked my Canadian dealer several times to get=import for me a Leshiy Classic. He said "naaah" for that money get a dream tac instead with a folding stock. I never though about he's word seriously, but since you mention it in OP ................................ ;)
I already have boxes of FX spare parts from my MK2 updates....
I have a bunch of x600 and x700 liners, never thought about what can be the shortest liner I can fit there? ----- btw I never was a fan of short barrels but longer is better...
thinking about backpack size

Reactions: Motorhead
I was searching for a hikers gun for some time, asked my Canadian dealer several times to get=import for me a Leshiy Classic. He said "naaah" for that money get a dream tac instead with a folding stock. I never though about he's word seriously, but since you mention it in OP ................................ ;)
I already have boxes of FX spare parts from my MK2 updates....
I have a bunch of x600 and x700 liners, never thought about what can be the shortest liner I can fit there? ----- btw I never was a fan of short barrels but longer is better...
thinking about backpack size
If you have. A 600 .22 liner I have a 380 .22 superior for you.... If you're looking for .22

:) yes I have four x600 liners, two in .22 and two in .25 also the same in x700, Thanks for letting me know, I would be interested
I just don't have the DreamTac yet,
out of stock in Canada.
Keep me in mind. I've got a project notos that I would like to pop a 600 STX In place of the 380 currently in it. You will not regret the dream tac. As long as you have the thimbles and probes you can do .177-.30 effectively.

I saw Utah Air had their demo dreamlines up for some $800us

This little rig fell into my hands on such a killer deal !!! So it stayed with me and got a Motorheads AG work over :oops:

Started with quieting it down as the factory 320mm .177 barrel had quite the bark !! Was not wanting the length of an effective LDC so went about designing and fabricating a secondary Shroud to fit over the OEM shroud. This 1 1/2" CF tube came off an offset RAW moderator / LDC. As did one of the Air strippers at exit which was cut down and Re-threaded 1/2-20 fitting the OEM shroud exit threads. Added length a mere 2 1/4" (y)

Next was fix of IMO FX'S less that effective 5 stacked o-rings under crush at barrel thimble retention miens. In it's place a machined Delrin sleeve having counter sunk bevels on each end. 1 o-ring at each end forced by the bevels to crush inward against liner. The sleeve fabricated has an I.D. fit to liner that is a modest snug slip fit also sized to fit thimble housing in a similar light but snug fit. With end nut snugged up the barrel rings like a wind chime with a finger flick ... It is now one with the thimble housing !!

Up next the trigger, yea that same o'l same o'l rolling barrel with a notch set FX has used for many years now. Out came the eye loupe to take a closer look at profile for the sear notch finding .. well lets say not impressed 🥴.. Out came the Stones and ceramics taking the surface finish from blaw to crisp & smooth. Hammer holding sear next sharpening and smoothing up the surfaces in contact. Installed it all back in place & adjusted ... Hot Damn !! It is super smooth and if ball plunger is set critical perhaps a 2 ounce creep free trigger break.

Placed an inclinometer with double stick tape on receivers left side where butt stock folds in over it w/o contact.
Up top side a USO TS-3 3 to 12 power compact scope with an Optisan EVX 44mm sun shade attached. Scopewerks nautilus side wheel and D.O.P.E card around barrel.
Telescopic wind flag on the right side rounds it out.

Little gun came to me power maxed out with 10.3's @ 890 fps, reg was at 150 bar & power wheel maxed out. Shot count dismal and noisy !!!
Now regs @ 110 bar & power wheel on 9 shooting JSB 8.4's @ 900 fps & making a solid 70 shots at @ 15 fpe with very low noise.

So just a share of a quick & tidy revamp. Not owned an FX for many years now, so a BIG break in tradition around here.

Thanks for reading along :giggle:

View attachment 498751

View attachment 498752

View attachment 498753

View attachment 498776
Careful @Motorhead I may have to box up all my “what the hell is this FX parts” and mail them to you 😬
Certainly a sweet gift you have to ressurect a FX resting on the door jam of mediocrity.

Reactions: Motorhead
Scott, uh-oh you have opened the door to FX guns that need tweaking or major modifications. Hope you have a deep, comfortable seat
Careful @Motorhead I may have to box up all my “what the hell is this FX parts” and mail them to you 😬
Certainly a sweet gift you have to ressurect a FX resting on the door jam of mediocrity.
Something had to be done about that oring stack and compression nut. I believe 100% it was the cause of my ever changing POI. I just finally made a barrel for mine. But your approach is how FX should have done it in the first place.
Klentz,
I turned my back on FX service work YEARS AGO and this is not changing .. so no worries there.

cavedweller,
FX parts ??? I would be equally having no idea too :rolleyes:

Vetmx,
The barrel / thimble issue I will share further and get some pictures taken as I too feel a mod well worth exploring across many models & calibers.
While I have Zero intent in being that guy to provide a fix, the solution I have come up with I have no issue with sharing it for others benefit or exploitation.

Last edited:
Ok ... took shroud / barrel back out to take some pictures.

Below is a multi part sharing of 2 specific things .... That of the barrel retention within thimble ... and, that of the Shroud over shroud modification.

First lets share the barrel thimble retention. If you own a FX your already familiar with the several miens a design has been implemented allowing easy / quick barrel swaps. The more recent is a stack of o-rings with a brass sleeve quite similar to whats shown. OEM configuration is several ( 5 ) o-rings ether end of this sleeve 3&2, tho inner brass sleeve is a loose slide over fit on barrel & equally loose slide fit into thimble. ONLY THE CRUSH of tightening the end nut crushing o-rings expanding them holds the O.D as well I.D to barrel / & thimble.
Radial wiggle afforded by the o-rings soft nature is still present as nothing is mechanically metal to metal or a stiff material to metal :confused: You can move the barrel around a small amount.

Here is my home grown solution. Using DELRIN a machinable industrial plastic, measured barrel O.D. and in a lathe drilled a hole threw material to get a firm yet snug slip fit to the "Straw" FX barrel. ( using "Letter" size drills ) Next we lathe turn the O.D.of sleeve to get a light and not to tight slip fit into the thimble. Do a little math on overall length required and part it off. Then using a 40* bevel countersink place this angle into both ends of sleeve taking the cut just shy of the outer most diameter.

Next to get everything ready to assemble we slide on the brass threaded nut, 1 o-ring & firmly push the new sleeve onto barrel a inch or so. With the firm barrel fit the O.D. of Derrin sleeve is now ever so slightly larger creating a now fairly firm fit into thimble. We slide the barrel & parts stack back into thimble bottoming out the thimble & o-rings & lightly tightening up the nut. Using a plastic face mallet tap the barrel all the way in till it bottoms out in thimble resting on the shoulder right at transfer window/port. Firmly tighten up the retention nut crushing the two o-rings into the sleeve bevels locking down the barrel Vey securely !!
Due too both I.D & O.D of manufactured sleeve being in a mechanically light press fit to thimble/barrel there is absolutely ZERO barrel wiggle or movement possiable. Yet to pull barrel uncrew nut with a firm tug and barrels back out.
* This is a PRECISION fittment of parts and have no clue how consistent FX manufactures barrel O.D.'s, Thimble I.D.'s etc ... ?????

Shroud over Shroud mod ...

Using a discarded RAW 1 1/2" CF offset LDC we recycled the CF tube, exit end air stripper and retention nut.
Fabricated from black Acetal plastic is the ends being a slip / sizzle fit to slide down OEM shroud at receiver end & Muzzle end cap to use the specs of the recycled RAW parts.
End cap at receiver end made to be a tight fit to CF tube and CA glued into place. The fit here again became slightly smaller as od was a snug fit. Now the end is a quite firm sliding fit to shroud & wont move unless wanting it to.
The RAW air stripper which had larger I.D. threading is cut down shorter and I.D. rethreaded 1/2-20. The strippers air ports ( 4 round holes ) are made into long 3/16" slots on the milling machine.
End cap gets fabricated so the RAW end nut can thread onto exit end of the air stripper. Some closed loop indoor / outdoor carpet gets slit down into CF shroud and it all gets tightened up.
Next the OEM shroud gets four 3/16" holes drilled with placement just forward of overshrouds rear cap. This allows the OEM shroud to freely vent into the larger over shroud. While at the same time the added air stripper screwing onto OEM shrouds exit gets to vert into the larger shroud from opposing end. Result is pretty damn quiet !!

Now that was fun :ROFLMAO:(y)

And NO I don't or won't make these for others .. Just a share of some outside the box home engineering.

10.jpg

11.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

12.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Joedirt199