Finally! A proper Bulldog review

His findings are almost identical to airgun reporter review from last year which gives a little extra confidence in what is said. The sound meter on the air gun reporter clip registered it at approx 10db higher on the noise though. I think those readings are only meaningful when compared to readings from other guns using the same device. It's definitely not "backyard friendly".

I might be the only one but I like the way it looks. I always like those futuristic-looking air guns like the Bulldog, Max Ml and the JKhan Iluda. I think it goes with the modern bullpup design. The thing I think could be improved is the plastic used to make the Bulldog stock. It is very flimsy. I can easily bend it into an arc. I think that contributes to how sensitive it is to being griped too tightly.

Overall, the bulldog is a bargain compared to other big bore air guns. It's only $800 now. It's mags fit longer projectiles than other 9mm guns and it has enough power to hunt larger game. 

Big bores aren't less accurate. Some calibers are just inherently more accurate than others, but the issue in airguns is projectiles. Big bores tend to shoot bullets from unchoked barrels. This requires proper bullet sizing per your bore for the best possible precision. Whereas a choked airgun barrel can shoot pellets well due to the chokes ability to resize pellets and produce decent to above accuracy. Also consider that many big bore airguns have improper twist rates and or bore sizes.

If big bore bullets are properly sized per barrel, they can be just as if not more accurate than the standard .177, .22, and .25 pellets.

Our major limiting factor in airguns is projectiles and proper twist rates and such.

"ajshoots"Big bores aren't less accurate. Some calibers are just inherently more accurate than others, but the issue in airguns is projectiles. Big bores tend to shoot bullets from unchoked barrels. This requires proper bullet sizing per your bore for the best possible precision. Whereas a choked airgun barrel can shoot pellets well due to the chokes ability to resize pellets and produce decent to above accuracy. Also consider that many big bore airguns have improper twist rates and or bore sizes.

If big bore bullets are properly sized per barrel, they can be just as if not more accurate than the standard .177, .22, and .25 pellets.

Our major limiting factor in airguns is projectiles and proper twist rates and such.
The bore in unchoked barrels is the same size as the chocked portion of chocked barrels. 

"zebra"Does anyone know what makes big bore air guns less accurate than small bore? I.e. Is there something about the larger barrel or larger projectiles that makes accuracy less attainable or does it just happen that most aren't as refined as the smaller caliber guns?

They are not less accurate you just have to adapt to shooting them. I get the same size groups with my 357 cal Titan shooting pellets as I get with my 22 and 25 cal guns. I've tried 3 different slugs and have not gotten quite the same groups. When I had my Career Ultra 357 cal I could match any of my guns with pellets, slugs or round balls. 

"blackdiesel"
"zebra"Does anyone know what makes big bore air guns less accurate than small bore? I.e. Is there something about the larger barrel or larger projectiles that makes accuracy less attainable or does it just happen that most aren't as refined as the smaller caliber guns?

They are not less accurate you just have to adapt to shooting them. I get the same size groups with my 357 cal Titan shooting pellets as I get with my 22 and 25 cal guns. I've tried 3 different slugs and have not gotten quite the same groups. When I had my Career Ultra 357 cal I could match any of my guns with pellets, slugs or round balls.
That makes sense. It looks to me like the reviewer was firing too many shots per fill too. The bulldog is advertised as a 10 shot max gun but it's the first 5 that are really optimal. It can't be expected to group like a regulated 25 over 20 shots. I think if it was tethered or refilled after each mag, the bulldog would group better. still you wouldn't buy a bulldog for target shooting. They are a pure hunter.

"Tony"I just got mine from Cabelas on sale plus I had $150 gift card. 357 Bulldog for $489.99 to my door. 
I haven't shot it yet but I am very excited to soon. Im waiting for taller scope rings. I have a Lyman #358242 mold that casts .358" 120 gr RN bullets that i might try just for fun
That's an awesome deal. 

Will .358" bullets fit in the bulldog? I can never remember what size of pellet fits in a 9mm bore. I know that 9mm and .357 are not interchangeable though. The difference is small but enough to prevent .357 projectiles fitting properly in a 9mm air gun. 

I would take a cast of those noslers to make your own. It would be worth it at that price. If you use mold max 60 silicone, you can easily make a mold of a bunch of noslers that can withstand the temp of molten lead. Casting lead and zinc is no issue for mold max 60 and it is rigid enough to retain dimensional stability. Plus, instead of working with a little two bullet cavity, you could make a 50 bullet cavity and make a bunch at once. 

I think you might have got the best deal ever on a bullpup airgun.

"T3PRanch"The Benjamin is a .357 not a 9mm. Reports are that a .358 mold works great.

Thurmond
That's interesting. They definitely use some 9mm / .356 ammo in the reviews. I wonder if the loose fit explains some of the larger groups. The Noslers performed noticeably better than the rest. They are advertised as .357 but PA and some of the manufacturers use .357 and 9mm interchanably. Do you know if they are real .357 or .356 like most pellets? 

I read of review of the Cricket 9mm on another forum where the guy had measured the bore and stated it was 9mm and not the .357 he had been told so he couldn't use the bullets he wanted (the fit was too tight). I assumed that all of the 9mm air guns that are not specifically advertised as being made to shoot cast bullets, were 9mm / .356 while cast bullet guns like the 357 slayer and extreme big bores were .357. 

The only comment I can make with absolute certainty is that the Lothar-Walther barrels are 9mm with Land Diameter .359" and Groove diameter .355".

I will inquire direct to Crosman concerning Land and Groove on the Bulldog to get a definitive answer.

Edit: PM sent to Chip @ Crosman. I will update when an answer comes.

Thurmond

Just to make sure we cover all bases, here is another Bulldog review. This one was by Rick Eustler and he didn't seem to like it nearly as much as the other two reviews. In fact, it might be the closes I have seen him get to giving an air gun a bad review:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUIOU7GCs0w

His summary was: not very accurate, doesn't have the advertised 10 full power shots. Might be capable of a decent 3-shot group with work. He did counter with "it looks interesting" though....

Slugging the barrel of my bulldog came out .357. The Noslers shoot good and JSB 81gr pellets shoot awesome. The JSB's I have measure right at to slightly under .357 at the head. I got some slugs to test that were .356 and they shot horrible due to being undersized for my barrel. The fellow who cast the slugs has an older Bulldog and it slugged at .356 and his slugs shot awesome out of his gun. In mine, I literally had groups of about 6" at 30 yards.

My gun gets 5 very good consistent shots whether I use pellets or Noslers. It surely isn't a 10 shot gun unless you don't want to hit your target. If I refill every 5 shots, the JSB'S shoot really good and the Noslers are good, just not as good as the JSB.

www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-bulldog-thus-far