Finally found one - LP53

It's taken some time but I finally found a Walther LP53. I had a certain price point in mind and the one offered on eBay was several hundred over that number and the seller was smoking some of the funny stuff IMO. There was a post here on AGN about gunbroker having generally more reasonable prices so I decided to take a quick peek. Low and behold there was a LP53 with a day left on the auction. Condition is very good with a few minor marks and one ding in the back, but otherwise it was a nice solid piece with original box, an insane amount of paperwork and documentation, all the extra front/rear sights, etc.

I won the auction and the final price was within my range of purchase price, so I am beyond happy with the item I received a couple of days ago. I've given it a little cleaning and rub down and some of the marks came off easily. Function is perfect.

LP53 - 1.jpeg
LP53 - 2.jpeg

Exactly that. I wanted it to look like a 50s .22 Target pistol like the Mandolin, or Jaegar..
As you guessed, The rifling was not shortened, its stock…I just machined down the outer casing, leaving 3/8” of void to still allow the use of the cocking aid. Simply machining away 50mm of void that is not rifled.
To get it looking correct, i machined the 8mm x 2 mm step at the muzzle…
Balance became perfect and hold on target is rock solid.

Removing the foresight intact was a scary and very risky moment, but i managed it Following the advice of Len on the Vintage airgun forum. Foresight is attached in the same way a full bore rifle sight is fitted.
As far as a i know, only 3 in the world like it….Lens, this one and a .22 version i did….hours of complex machine work for that one….

Last edited:
Congratulations on finding such a fine pistol. Can't help but love the fine fit and finish of those Walthers. They made them from 1952 to 1983 so someone must have liked them! I have a couple now but I still regret selling my first one. It was an early gun, 1956-57, with the smooth finish and a fitted case. Jay

1674581504858.jpeg

I've only done a little shooting with it, but it equals my LP3 and some others of the similar quality and age.

I'm not sure the date on mine, but curious to do a SN lookup and find out.

That fitted case is really nice.

I will say $350 for a Predom seems really high. I missed out on one on eBay a while back which went for around $200-225. $350 is the price I paid for the LP53, which I felt was a fair price. My window was basically $3-400, knowing the lower end of $300 would prob never happen.

The Predom benefits from the same direct feed into bore, TP directly behind the barrel, with no 90 degree bend, low piston weight and good compression ratio efficiency ( they can both make 525 fps) but its let down by the trigger and lacks the thumb rest..
Its steel barrel can be a boon for easy refinishing (re-bluing) versus the alloy on the 53 however.

Agree with all of the above. The LP53 at $350 is fairly priced. The same price for a Predom not so much…I remember when they were much more common and a lot lower price, and before the bay price gougers ran them up. Woulda Shoulda….Heck , just look at the asking prices for classics like the MK 1‘s and 2’s or the 78/79g‘s or the 717/747/777 line….but I digress

back to the topic - love your LP53. Congrats and enjoy