Finally got some wood

Pale_Rider

Feb 16, 2019
US
Been wanting wood grips for the Zoraki since the day I got it. The plastic grips aren’t bad it’s just..the whole damn gun is plastic and some wood makes it feel more durable. Well I found these wood grips from an eBay seller located in Germany. Same seller that makes the really cool looking foregrip for the P-rod. They looked decent enough, made from walnut, and the price was phenomenal(compared to rink grips). After a few weeks wait I received them and slapped them on the gun only to have my excitement turn into disappointment. They feel like I’m holding a 2x4. The finger grooves were designed for elf hands. And the fit and finish on these are the work of someone who rushed the job or lacks the skills for fine woodworking. I should’ve known by the price. On the bright side it’s walnut and there’s enough wood to sand it down and make it my own.

EFA18D98-385A-4FD0-B7F8-EB7CB33C79B6.jpeg

4A2216D1-65CF-4831-8EBD-105497CC2E99.jpeg

0CBD774A-EEF4-4B97-9F77-1ABF337EDC25.jpeg

1A9EFA83-AE4D-436E-9143-C57DD415E3AB.jpeg

C8176519-EC87-4E39-9A91-6080A1BF07C5.jpeg

Those will turn out great. Will be well worth the time. I'll recommend a Walnut Danish oil for finish, since it's self sealing, and is super easy to maintain. I did one of my rifles with it and polished the wood super smooth between maybe 10 coats. Looks really spectacular. But best of all, easy to repair/touch up.

Those will turn out great. Will be well worth the time. I'll recommend a Walnut Danish oil for finish, since it's self sealing, and is super easy to maintain. I did one of my rifles with it and polished the wood super smooth between maybe 10 coats. Looks really spectacular. But best of all, easy to repair/touch up.
I’ve used it before and found that it turns a yellowish tint with age. Going with something very similar tho; Tru oil

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I got a set, and same problems. Contacted the maker and he requested pictures, and sent one back showing where I might remove wood inside the grips to make them fit, I did some woodwork this morning on them and not much effect, The internal inletting on those is very complicated. I really need some inletting marking dye to help with the process. Anyway after I did ot leave a good ebay review he said he would be making some more that should fit better and would be sending in 4-6 weeks, Hope they work out.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I got a set, and same problems. Contacted the maker and he requested pictures, and sent one back showing where I might remove wood inside the grips to make them fit, I did some woodwork this morning on them and not much effect, The internal inletting on those is very complicated. I really need some inletting marking dye to help with the process. Anyway after I did ot leave a good ebay review he said he would be making some more that should fit better and would be sending in 4-6 weeks, Hope they work out.
Try blu carpenters chalk…shows the high spots and readily disappears with a shot of air..

Reactions: maxtrouble