Finally nailed this coyote

This coyote has been cruising too close to the neighborhood. He even took one of my neighbors ducks at 10:00 in the morning. It was filmed on their yard camera. So for the last couple days I made it a point to kill this sucker. It’s just getting too comfy and its offspring will too if I don’t nip this in the bud. Thought about just cleaning him out with my 6mm but figured I would give it one shot with my RTI P2 .30 slug sender. We have major storms coming in so I figured I would put out a carcass. Sure enough he came to eat. My gun is zeroed at 100 but this shot to the carcass was 189 yards. Sorry for the poor image quality but when it’s raining, it’s not pretty.

It yipped after the impact so it should be laying in the strip of woods along the power line. Depending on this storm, I hope to look for it in the morning. But it might have to wait until later in the day. Either way, it took a .30 slug to the boiler room so it’s circling the drain.

Yes it’s a NV 007 something. Maybe an S. That’s the beauty of our loopy trajectories. Even at 970fps. We can do what appear to be trick shots. I’ve killed many deer with a bow that were standing at 40 yards but were obstructed by a tree limb at 20 yards. Just aim at them and the loopy trajectory carries the arrow right over the branch and into the vitals.

We finally got a chance to go look for it. It had a 40 yard dash to the cornfield the direction it ran. We didn’t bother trying to search that field. With a boiler shot it has approximately 60 seconds to live. They can cover some ground in that time. The farmer said they are in and out of his corn all the time and said that’s definitely where it went. Either way, it’s dead. Mission accomplished.

IMG_6237.jpeg

Reactions: Ranchibi
@Vetmx That's a lot of damn Dorritos, breakfast cereal, and soft drink syrup right there. Wow! Did you see a blood spots or a blood trail at all when you went to look around the area it stood when you first shot it? I'm thinking that if you tried to get outside to shoot from a different position that you'd spook them. The coyotes in my neck of the woods will boogie quickly if alerted or spooked. Are you shooting out of a window, from a balcony, or from the rooftop?

That hurricane storm came through after I shot it. Literally 30 minutes after I shot it. Then it rained solid for the next 8 hours. I hunt that power line three ways. From a window, from beside my house or sitting on the other side of that fence. All three positions offer different shot and distance opportunities. That night with the rain and storms rolling in, I opted for the comfort of my home.

I know two people who get that coyote on camera regularly and they’ve both been notified that I drilled it. I know where my slug landed so I would be surprised if it’s still on its feet. But because I didn’t feel like spending a whole day in a corn field to recover a body, just for peace of mind I told them to let me know if they get it on camera again. They won’t.