Benjamin First Air gun deer

G'day all! I've been a long time hunter and shooter here in Australia. I've been lucky enough to travel the country in the armed forces here and shot game everywhere. One thing I'd never managed to grass though is a deer. Well, I ticked that off this deer rut with a new toy a Benjamin Airbow. I've only recently gotten into airgunning and this really cemented air as my new favourite hobby lol

PSX_20240330_231749.jpg

My sister-in-law’s boyfriend has a property where he and his son hunt fallow deer every year, and this time, I got invited along! Now, I’ve been bow hunting since I was 13, but my military service has left my hips and shoulders feeling like they're made of rusty hinges.

Last year, I bought my first airgun and stumbled upon an Airbow at my local shop. I thought, “Why not?” After a quick trip to the small bore range to zero it in, I was ready for action.

We arrived around 2 PM and checked out a few reliable spots in the relatively flat back section of the property. We saw about five bucks, but they were all too far out and wouldn’t come to the rattle. Then, a big chocolate buck charged into our hide, but the bush was so thick I didn’t even get a shot.

Finally, we wandered to a promising area and spotted a couple of does about 300 meters away. Dillion, the son guiding me, gave a croak from the cover. Suddenly, a buck jumped the cattle fence and headed straight toward us. I crouched behind some dry grass as he came into 20 meters, slightly higher than I was. With barely any cover, I had to wait. He stood there, directly facing me, and I was just hoping he’d take one more step or turn a bit.

I settled the crosshairs low on his chest, slid the safety forward, and squeezed the trigger. At the shot, I watched the buck drop on the spot—he didn’t take a single step. The arrow had zipped right through his brisket and exited between his shoulder blades, just an inch left of his spine.

After some hard work, we had the meat processed, the head taken, and soon, there was a lot of delicious jerky being made! My wife and kids initially thought I was a “big meany” for taking down such a beautiful buck. But once they tasted the jerky, all that changed. Now I have orders from my daughters to shoot ALL THE DEER!

Just a side note: In Australia, we have seven species of deer, all introduced. In my state, there are no seasons on deer, and spotlighting is also legal. So, watch out, deer—I'm on a mission!

Last edited:
@AussieSteve Great write up! It’s good to read that your injuries don’t stop you from getting out and hunting. If you shot it through the brisket and out between the shoulder blades, that tells me that you were at a lower elevation shooting upwards. Is that correct? Were any organs hit? Thank you for sharing such a well written account of your hunt.

G'day all! I've been a long time hunter and shooter here in Australia. I've been lucky enough to travel the country in the armed forces here and shot game everywhere. One thing I'd never managed to grass though is a deer. Well, I ticked that off this deer rut with a new toy a Benjamin Airbow. I've only recently gotten into airgunning and this really cemented air as my new favourite hobby lol

View attachment 496193
Awesome man! Deer hunting with these airguns is addictive lol

Reactions: AussieSteve
Fantastic!!! What range is your airbow sighted in for? Is that the original airbow or the M600?
Beautiful buck!

It's the original Airbow. I don't think any M600s have made their way to Australia yet. I'm going to order an M357 soon too.

I zeroed the Airbow as per the manual I believe the centre crosshair is 30yards

Screenshot_20240919_110523_Adobe Acrobat.jpg