N/A First PCP gun

Hey guys, just getting into air rifles. Coming from the archery world. I have a Benjamin steel eagle break barrel, that I have been using for fun and taking out some pests around my property. But looking for suggestions for a good hunting PCP gun. I have been looking at the Gamo Urban, Air Venturi Avenger, and a local guy has a Kral arms Puncher Breaker. Just wondering which route to go.

Get you an airforce talon P from https://airforceairguns.com/product-category/outlet-store/ they have a 50% sale. My talon P with the hi flow valve can put out 64fpe in .25 cal, I'm casually shooting at 56fpe with slugs. You can get a base .25 and shoot 45fpe no problem and take down the occasional racoon, it's a single shot loader, but they are easy to work on, and parts are easy to find.

Last edited:
A raccoon is on the larger end of the pests cleanly taken with the smaller (non big bore) airguns. I killed a small one with my P35-22 but I would use the same gun in 25 if another one comes by. But to get that gun to about 50 fpe I had to add a power plenum. Even with that extra it would fit into your budget. They are short and light and I found I really prefer bullpups. My 25 Avenger is similar in power and would be another reasonable choice especially if you prefer longer conventional guns. If raccoons are your primary targets you might want to move up to a 30 caliber, like maybe a SPA M60. The bottle version would be at the top of your price range but the tube version is considerably cheaper. Air Archery Fun is where I would go to get one but Krale has them and I've purchased my 35s from them. They are fine, but shipping is a bit more.

Hello and welcome!
I won’t caution you as to the addiction this can be since you are already a bow hunter you’re familiar with how expensive the landscape can get.
I would give Airgun Revisions a look. Your can pick up their Field and Target regulated Marauder with the Lothar barrel refurb by them for $375. IMHO you would be hard pressed to beat that price point for a really nice starter PCP.

Another viable and just a plain and simple fun option could be the Umarex Notos. It happens to be ridiculously on sale $208.14 a few people from the forum have ordered from this site before with no issues and hell at that price I pulled the trigger on one of them too. It should be here on Friday. I’ll post pics accordingly.

First place to look is the..."Search" function section.

MANY...folks have asked the...same question, for the same shooting action. I'd bet that your question has been commented on heavily, and can be found already in print. Probably hours of reading for you.

Mike
But heck then we can't welcome him and let him know he's in for years of torture and torment as he wanders amlessly around the Rabbit Hole® seeking the perfect slug for a gun that couldn't shoot slugs ever.

Get you an airforce talon P from https://airforceairguns.com/product-category/outlet-store/ they have a 50% sale. My talon P with the hi flow valve can put out 64fpe in .25 cal, I'm casually shooting at 56fpe with slugs. You can get a base .25 and shoot 45fpe no problem and take down the occasional racoon, it's a single shot loader, but they are easy to work on, and parts are easy to find.
Thanks, they look Awesome. it looks like the pistols are not on sale. But might pick one up eventuall.

There are so many entry level PCPs that would fit you needs, but I am going to second JaceSpace2369 and recomend you take a look at the TalonP.
I have had mine for a couple years and have only had one problem. It started losing air through a faulty gauge. Simple fix.

I bought mine for raccons that were killing my chickens and ducks. I had no idea it was going to be so much fun too shoot, but thats a good thing. It keeps me in practice.

Hello and welcome!
I won’t caution you as to the addiction this can be since you are already a bow hunter you’re familiar with how expensive the landscape can get.
I would give Airgun Revisions a look. Your can pick up their Field and Target regulated Marauder with the Lothar barrel refurb by them for $375. IMHO you would be hard pressed to beat that price point for a really nice starter PCP.

Another viable and just a plain and simple fun option could be the Umarex Notos. It happens to be ridiculously on sale $208.14 a few people from the forum have ordered from this site before with no issues and hell at that price I pulled the trigger on one of them too. It should be here on Friday. I’ll post pics accordingly.

AirForce Condor SS is also a good alternative. A very simple air rifle (it has only 4 seals), and comparably quiet. And as @Chinodiver said, it is often <=50% off as a refurbished one.

I have two Gauntlets in .25 they put out plenty of power for pest control. I personally would not shoot a raccoon with anything smaller than .30 cal and then it probably wouldn’t be an air rifle. I firmly believe that if I’m going to hunt for any reason it should be an accurate shot with enough power for an immediate kill as does everyone here and for me that’s a pb gun.

Rick H.

I have two Gauntlets in .25 they put out plenty of power for pest control. I personally would not shoot a raccoon with anything smaller than .30 cal and then it probably wouldn’t be an air rifle. I firmly believe that if I’m going to hunt for any reason it should be an accurate shot with enough power for an immediate kill as does everyone here and for me that’s a pb gun.

Rick H.
Thanks for the advice I have just read so much different stuff and I know everyone has their own opinion. I come from the bow hunting world and it is the same there. But if I take a shot on something I want it to kill and not wound.

The Notos is very popular, short, lightweight, and agile.
And its $250 price tag, would leave you some money left over for a scope, and supplies.

The Avenger X, Gauntlet, and Aircuda Max are a few more popular suggestions.

If your like me, you could spend months researching, and constantly changing your mind!

Good luck!
Hey yeah, I am doing a ton of research and trying to get a little bit of a hold on things. I guess I just need to decide and jump in to get my feet wet.

Reactions: Airgun Al