• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Flag recommendation

Good evening all. I just got back from EBR and I had an amazing time. I ended up shooting 50 and 75 yard bench with my RW .22 hp. Man I must say that is harder than it looks. I was 9 shooters away from qualifying for the finals on my first ever time shooting it. I made some flags out of aluminum arrows and coat hanger but never being to Arizona I quickly realized my arrows were not going into the ground. Now I have some time to save up and get some proper flags what do you recommend? I know you have to play with a couple to see what you like best but I didn’t know if people typically gravitated to one make than the other. Thank you so much.

Checkout Benchrest Classifieds and do a search for wind flags. You can see what is available and what is currently used in benchrest. Those that make the flags advertise there. It usually defaults to centerfire rifles. Click your cursor on the window and type in wind.

P.S. If you actually like your arrows and hangers and they work for you, just take along a couple blocks of wood with holes drilled in them to stick your arrows in those blocks!

Thx
Dan

Last edited:
I’ve switched to the dual vane Wicks flags. The dual vanes allow you to see exactly which direction the flag is pointing without trouble. You can discern very slight angle changes. These flags come with 2 very light tails that I find distracting and mostly useless above 3 mph. I replace the 2 light tails with one heavier and longer tail.

At 25m….the black and white ball was adequate to tell me if the flags were tipping in or away. At 50 and longer I struggled to get the same information quickly.

To learn much from wind flags, you must have near 100% accurate feedback. You will not get anywhere close to that at 100y with a pellet gun. Nobody is going to learn much about wind and flags by shooting at 100y. You will have to learn the wind at a shorter distance (50y max). You will get very confusing information, otherwise….and develop bugaboos based on false connections of flag position and resulting poi. At 100y with a pellet gun…the feedback loop is unreliable.

After you can predict poi reliably at 50y or less with high percentage accuracy …you will be able to use what you know to to make a better decision about what may happen at 100.

Mike

As Thomasair points out (and one of the best there is at reading the wind), the flags and tail response at longer distances is very difficult to interpret. I had 4 flags (Wicks dual vane) evenly positioned at 75 yard qualification and also at 100 yard finals. In both situations, rarely did I have all 4 flags line up together to give me usable information on when to shoot. When they did line up, it was usually when the tails were straight out and parallel with the ground (high wind) which is not a signal for when to shoot. The wind speed and hold off is impossible to estimate in those conditions. For the most part in qualifying and in the finals, usually the 2 flags out farther were pointing in completely different directions than the 2 closer flags. Sometimes all 4 showed something different! I was not relying on my flags/tails feedback but more so the feel of the wind on my face and neck and using the thread attached to the end of my barrel as my information source to process. it worked out this time for me but it also showed me I need a LOT more time using flags to help me become a better shooter. You will notice that scores were significantly lower in the finals. Distance complicates the information chain you have with your flags. I noticed some really good shooters at EBR only set out 1 flag mid way. Others used a single shaft straight up in a block of wood with surveyors tape mounted onto the shaft. The style of flag you select is not as important as how many you use and placement and how you decipher what they are telling you. Best of luck on your quest and you will figure out what works for you, it just takes time behind the trigger and those flags!
P.S. Keeney, Graham and Wicks are probably the most commonly used but there are others you will find.
Thx
Dan

Each flag on the range gives information about what is going on. They do not have to all agree to indicate a readable shooting condition.

Spacing flags in equal intervals makes assessing the effects of each individual flag more difficult because the closer flags will count as a greater portion of the entire drift. A 5mph wind at the muzzle will push a pellet off track and the result at the target will be very significant. A 5mph wind at the target will result in almost no effect. Placing a flag at the target will provide the least useful information about drift.

Mike

Each flag on the range gives information about what is going on. They do not have to all agree to indicate a readable shooting condition.

Spacing flags in equal intervals makes assessing the effects of each individual flag more difficult because the closer flags will count as a greater portion of the entire drift. A 5mph wind at the muzzle will push a pellet off track and the result at the target will be very significant. A 5mph wind at the target will result in almost no effect. Placing a flag at the target will provide the least useful information about drift.

Mike
Where do you recommend placing the flags for 50,75 and 100 yards? Just equally distances between the target? Or maybe one at 10 yards and then equally the rest of the way?

For 50y….3 flags spaced at 15,50, and 110 feet will allow each flag to represent an equal “zone” of wind drift. As you move away from the bench….each flag will corner a larger area.

I personally cannot interpret any more information than 3 flags can provide.

If there is a funnel area on the range where there is a break in a berm or something like that. It’s good to maybe put an extra flag there.

Following with great interest. I have two WindMeters, one brown and one blue, the BT signal cuts off about 20M but that is not enough for me, my 22LR range is difficult shape, recessed lower and between tree lines. I would need to place several flags down range between 20 and 100 Meters.
Many of the sources above doesn't ship to Canada, so I 3d printed some flags but I would like to compare the results to some more educated sources.

These are what I use, I’ve modified them for my preference to help with the 45deg. Angles and shift’s. The flags I ordered are Med. He offers Sm. Med. And Lrg.
I also use a wind probe which helps some? But I’m learning two flags and a probe for 25m and 50yds, these are light weight and easy to pack and carry for traveling to my matches.
Knowing what I know now I would use the dual vane flags Mike suggests, my flags clutter my mind with information I can’t decipher rapidly.

C2A1E285-6FCD-4F08-B3B1-FC94D7F4C903.jpeg

B818A078-72C2-4579-A05B-9B646F2C19CA.jpeg

76B3C1E9-4926-4A21-9F48-612996B9C7F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: okieairgunner
Mike is absolutely right. Most important info right here.

“A 5mph wind at the muzzle will push a pellet off track and the result at the target will be very significant. A 5mph wind at the target will result in almost no effect.”
Man that’s so interesting to read. I had someone at the range tell me the same thing. I really didn’t believe him. I thought how could a pellet flying out the barrel at “X” speed be effected by wind at the muzzle and not more down range while it’s moving slower. Can you and @thomasair maybe explain the science behind that more?

I think it has to do with time over distance. Push the pellet a bit exiting the muzzle and it has a greater amount of time and distance to move further and further off course than it does if you pushed it off course 20’ from the target. Granted I am no ballistic engineer but just using plain old country common sense logic.