Flip up Scope covers

I use flip up scope covers on all my air rifle scopes. Most of them are Butler Creek but I've been trying to like the Monstrum covers on my Arken. The cover over the objective lens works fine but the much smaller one over the occular lens has split twice now. At the same time I ordered the second one, I ordered a "cheapo" from Aliexpress. It just arrived. I think it was about $5 with shipping and looks like it might hold up. First impression is good in any event. It fits well and functions well. Certainly better than a broken Monstrum.

I think Butler Creek are fine but seem like they should be cheaper. If this one holds up I will try and wait on the Aliexpress ones. Roughly 1/3 the price.

Anyone else try the Aliexpress flip up covers?

Reactions: Florida_Man
@JimD I have a good amount of Monstrum flip up covers and haven’t had an issue with one tearing up. It sounds like you had a cover that was too small and over stretched it. I have one pair of Butler Creek covers and they’ve held up pretty good over the years. I prefer the Monstrum covers. I have not tried the Ali covers. Can you post a link to the ones your referring to?

Sorry, I haven't been able to do links since I switched from a mouse to a touch pad. But I find them easily with a google search like "Aliexpress flip up scope covers". I think the one I got is called "Firewolf". But there are lots in the $1-3 range.

I guess I could try seeing if Monstrum would honor a warranty claim but I suspect they would claim I overstretched it. I went up a size from the first purchase to the second. I would be afraid they would fall off if I went larger. I don't know why the big ones work fine for me but not the smaller ocular size ones.

I think Monstrum has practically an unconditional warranty. Last time I had a problem with one of their red dots, they did not even ask what happened, they just emailed me a return shipping label and shipped a new one the same day. With such a minor item as scope flip-up covers, they probably just ship you a new one right away. Never hurts to ask :).

Reactions: Nealgl1985
tenebraex if you want to drop some $$$
More expensive doesn't always equate to better. I have a ZCO (Tenebraex) ocular/eye piece scope cover that broke on me with just regular use. While I like the way it works, it's no good to me if it's broke. One of the spring legs came out and it's hard to put back in place. My default or fallback for scope covers is Butler Creek. I've used them for over 25 years without any problems. Now if you have the scope covers in the open position and bang it into things, there's gonna be problems but that could happen with other brands as well.

I use flip up scope covers on all my air rifle scopes. Most of them are Butler Creek but I've been trying to like the Monstrum covers on my Arken. The cover over the objective lens works fine but the much smaller one over the occular lens has split twice now. At the same time I ordered the second one, I ordered a "cheapo" from Aliexpress. It just arrived. I think it was about $5 with shipping and looks like it might hold up. First impression is good in any event. It fits well and functions well. Certainly better than a broken Monstrum.

I think Butler Creek are fine but seem like they should be cheaper. If this one holds up I will try and wait on the Aliexpress ones. Roughly 1/3 the price.

Anyone else try the Aliexpress flip up covers?
I have one on my DS35. The factory piece broke and I couldn’t install the replacements. I ordered the Ali and they’ve been holding up for months. I drilled a hole in the middle since it’s a NV scope. This was my first attempt. I did a second one more centered and filed the edges.

IMG_3439.jpeg

Sorry, I haven't been able to do links since I switched from a mouse to a touch pad. But I find them easily with a google search like "Aliexpress flip up scope covers". I think the one I got is called "Firewolf". But there are lots in the $1-3 range.

I guess I could try seeing if Monstrum would honor a warranty claim but I suspect they would claim I overstretched it. I went up a size from the first purchase to the second. I would be afraid they would fall off if I went larger. I don't know why the big ones work fine for me but not the smaller ocular size ones.
The listing I bought is no longer available, but this is similar to what I bought.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $2.59 | Rifle Scope Lens Cover Flip Spring Up Quick Open Lens Dust Cover Protection Cap for Different Size Hunting Caliber Riflescopes

I prefer butler creeks over the Vortex/Monstrum/Arken style. My favorite hands down though are MKM scope caps. Not cheap but lifetime warranty and tough as can be. I've owned 4 sets and never an issue. I've had monstrum ones split on me before. Vortex seemed to have stretched. My Arken ones have held up but still prefer ones without the stretch over rubber.

Reactions: mike4406
I used a larger size after the first one split on my Arken and it split too. I have no idea why the big objective covers I have from Monstrum are fine and I've repeatedly had issues with the much smaller occular covers. But the cheap one from Aliexpress it working great. I've never had an issue like this with a Butler Creek cover either. But I will buy more of the Aliexpress covers next time I need some. If they fail, I will probably go back to Butler Creek. They don't look all that impressive but they work.

@JimD Thanks for the explanation. I haven’t had the issue, but I have noticed that the Monstrum ocular lens caps don’t fit right. Mine can move around to where it’s cocked to one side or another. This can be felt when pushing some gaps closed to where it makes the pronounced “snap” sound. The Butler Creek covers are stiffer and fit the ocular lens better if you can find the correct size for your scope. I’ve had scopes where I couldn’t find the right size and the lens covers frequently fall off. So a looser Monstrum cover that stays on the scope is more desirable for me. At the end of the day I just need them to stand up to protecting the glass from dirt, dust, moisture, & walking through brush and thickets. They do that well enough for me. I haven’t had any that split. I use calipers to measure the diameter of the ends of the scope and order according to my caliper measurements. With the Butler Creek caps they had a letter/number system that I didn’t quite like. At least that’s how I recall their scope covers being classified. It was a PITA to find the right sizes for me.

Last edited: