For Hunters, Why use Big bore Pcps over Firearms

i got it specifically so i could execute bambi quiet-like ... i detest deer above every pest there is .. people feed them and they create likely billions in property damage and injury hanging out in their 'safe zones' by the side of roads ..
I'm new to air guns but I understand. They do loads of damage to crops. I feed w/ apple flavored corn during this time to help. Early beans.. they like the fresh sweet leafy flavor. Several States offer a Kill Tag if there is enough damage. Then it's by all means necessary. Sadly that may be where we fit in.

Reactions: TWBUILD
To me its a bit harder to hunt then a firearm. You have to get closer (more woodsmen skill) and you don't have to wake everything in the woods when you fire and for the shorter range. I can get some huge slugs that firearm cant fire,lol Below are .177 22.25 cal pellets and slug then, there is 35 cal pellet, 125gr and 205gr slugs. I the next is the MONSTER,LOL Thats a1450 gr 82 cal slug;

IMG_20220820_102358856.jpg

IMG_20220820_102437755 (1).jpg

IMG_20220820_102509123 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have, among other airguns, a Texan .457 To hunt deer with. Truth is, I could easily just use one of my rifles, but this has a number of things going for it. First, it’s a challenge similar to a black powder gun. It’s a challenge to get all the factors down to shoot well, but that is part of the fun. Second, I cast my own bullets, and catch my bullets in a trap, therefore after the initial investment I can shoot, recast, and shoot all I want. Third, it’s quieter—not silent, but much quieter than a standard gun. Finally, I have found shooting a big-bore airgun a ton of fun!

Hunting with an airgun is for Sportsmen looking for a challenge. I can't find a practical reason for States just getting away from shotguns and slugs. I would call it a step back as it offers nothing more than more regulation to keep up with.
A silenced rifle done right will be quieter than any airgun and far cheaper, so that's not much of a reason either unless you want to avoid the legal side.

I plan to buy a big bore one day, but I doubt it will ever see the field. I have too many other things that do the job better.

Reactions: Mycapt65
I have several Firearms that would definitely made hunting easier but never, ever use them,.....love the challenge of getting closer and have to take the time to make the perfect shot.

this video is a perfect example, If I had a firearm I could have taken the shot immediately but since I had a .25 cal PCP I had to wait 10 minutes for the boar to give me the perfect shot.

I really do not see the "practice" point ? hunting is more of a slow speed shooting as far as prep . so it comes to aim and trajectory . A pellet is no comparison to a PB bullet of the same caliber .
Actually being able to shoot a lot in your backyard will keep you sharp and in tune with your guns, also being able to check your zero before every hunt is huge.

Reactions: Scotay42
Actually being able to shoot a lot in your backyard will keep you sharp and in tune with your guns, also being able to check your zero before every hunt is huge.

That's what I was thinking.

You can do the same thing with a PB at a range. But there's something about just going out on the deck / porch if you've got a home range setup, put on some tunes and crack open an ice cold O'Douls.

Knowing your gun is zeroed is a big one. Sometimes scopes and barrels shift a little. They shouldn't, but it happens. I like knowing the gun I'm grabbing to shoot a ground hog or whatever was dead on the money just a day or two when I plinked in the back yard. Note that I'm not a hunter -- just a pester -- but I've owned big bore air rifles to shoot for fun and I do a lot of .30 cal target shooting these days.

Some people like to hunt with bow & arrow too. Not my thing but only because I never got into it. Of course a firearm is top dog when it comes to weaponry, but that doesn't mean you can't prefer an alternative for almost unlimited reasons. Even if it's "just because I can".

All good responses. I have everything from .177 to .50 cal., and the biggest advantage I find that air provides is the increase in shooting skill that translates to firearms. No matter where you live airguns will always be easier to shoot, whether on a large piece of ground or not. Lack of noise, power, and range are all a huge factor. Even though I'm on ranch, shooting firearms around the ranch homes will not only be disconcerting to my neighbors, but also run off every huntable critter within a mile.

I shoot just about every day in some form or another with my airguns. I could NEVER do that with a firearm for both logistics and costs. Speaking of costs, centerfire ammo (whether handloaded or not) is very expensive. For my big bore airguns, once I own @ $100.00 mold I'm good to go for thousands of shots. And I have put several thousand shots through my .308 Texan. The cost of that for centerfire would be a lot. I've bought some lead, but I'm not opposed to scavenging and keeping my ear to the ground for free stuff. Currently I'm sitting on about 200 lbs.

Shooting as often as I do has made me a MUCH better shot with my firearm deer rifle. In my area it is not legal to take big game with air power, however turkeys are perfectly legal. And in my opinion, there is no better legal turkey weapon on the planet than a .308 Texan. It combines long range with good accuracy, the knock down power required to plant a turkey and keep it from running or flying, and a surprisingly workable wound channel with minimal meat damage. Certainly better than a shotgun. Instead of my range being 45-50 yards, my hunting range is now out to 200 yards and I've taken two birds at 225 yards. I now hunt turkeys like deer; spot and stalk. No packing around decoys, sitting in a blind, etc.

Just a couple of ways that big bore airguns (and airguns in general) can replace some of the areas where firearms used to be the only choice.

Hunting with an airgun is for Sportsmen looking for a challenge. I can't find a practical reason for States just getting away from shotguns and slugs. I would call it a step back as it offers nothing more than more regulation to keep up with.
A silenced rifle done right will be quieter than any airgun and far cheaper, so that's not much of a reason either unless you want to avoid the legal side.

I plan to buy a big bore one day, but I doubt it will ever see the field. I have too many other things that do the job bette

I really do not see the "practice" point ? hunting is more of a slow speed shooting as far as prep . so it comes to aim and trajectory . A pellet is no comparison to a PB bullet of the same caliber .
Maybe you need and up date on the different ammo ariguns can use now. huge pellets for short range/ slugs from 25 cal and up to 82 caliber 1450gr slug , Airguns that can shoot 400fpe with arrows.

Controlled Fracturing Lead-Free Subsonic Hunting Airgun Bullets. I would get a lot more use and cheaper with an pcp airgun..​