For Hunters, Why use Big bore Pcps over Firearms

As I said, "Airguns are for sportsmen."
To hunt with an airgun in Indiana: "Must shoot .40 caliber or larger single bullet generating 400 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy." (Probably cost a bullet every time a Game Warden wants to check). They are only allowed during the general hunting season (two weeks).
So after sitting for x days and two deer at 100-150 yards, what do you want to trust your family's meat supply to? Sportsmen hunt for the sport of it and will likely donate the meat.
Airguns have their place, and I can certainly understand an airgun only hunter, but I can not justify handicapping myself when I have a flat shooting rifle.
As far as ammo availability, how many really cast their own bullets? I dare say the same number that reload their own hunting ammo.
Which brings us to how much air should a big game hunter bring to resupply?

Last edited:
Reactions: mike_k10
To hunt with an airgun in Indiana: "Must shoot .40 caliber or larger single bullet generating 400 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy." (Probably cost a bullet every time a Game Warden wants to check). They are only allowed during the general hunting season (two weeks).
So after sitting for x days and two deer at 100-150 yards, what do you want to trust your family's meat supply to? Sportsmen hunt for the sport of it and will likely dominate the meat.
Airguns have their place, and I can certainly understand an airgun only hunter, but I can not justify handicapping myself when I have a flat shooting rifle.
As far as ammo availability, how many really cast their own bullets? I dare say the same number that reload their own hunting ammo.
Most bring a bottle for what ever the need. I Have to rifles i bring with me no matter what. one is a modified 25 cal avenger and the other is AEA 357 challenger big bore and i can shoot all day from a 3.9 liter bottle, so i would say in most cases that would be enough for hunting, And with theses air guns, they just keep improving them and doing it using less air. I guess, to each there own.

Reactions: Squack
whats the benefit? always wanted a benjamin bulldog but never popped the trigger is there actual savings or just recoil and easier?
For many there is no benefit. That is why it's a niche. A powerful, big bore airgun puts out almost the same energy as a subsonic 45-70 shooting cast slugs. Most of the smaller caliber "large" guns are about as powerful as a 22 LR.
Air = fewer backup shots, more trajectory, higher startup costs & anywhere you can safely shoot a really powerful airrifle, you can shoot a standard rifle/shotgun.

Laws - A lot of comparisons to bowhunting on this thread. Picking up a bow around here gets you better seasons and either sex tags which make using a short range weapon sensible and practical. Lots of places have favorable laws for air. Many more do not. If you're a felon, air power and archery may be your only options.

Last edited:
For man there is not a benefit. That is why it's a niche. A powerful, big bore airgun puts out almost the same energy as a subsonic 45-70 shooting cast slugs. Most of the smaller caliber "large" guns are about as powerful as a 22 LR.
Air = fewer backup shots, more trajectory, higher startup costs & anywhere you can safely shoot a really powerful airrifle, you can shoot a standard rifle/shotgun.

Laws - A lot of comparisons to bowhunting on this thread. Picking up a bow around here gets you better seasons and either sex tags which make using a short range weapon sensible and practical. Lots of places have favorable laws for air. Many more do not. If you're a felon, air power and archery may be your only options.
I have shot some very powerful rimfire, center fire and very powerful air gun, for hunting its all about the right tool for the job. most farmers where i live don't mind you shooting around there animals with an airgun, try that with that loud firearm. i can say you wouldn't be there long. for my type of hunting airguns make a lot of since, coyotes at night, anything you can kill with a firearm, you can kill with an airgun/pcp!

Last edited:
For me, it's silence. I'm pesting raccoons in a residential neighborhood at 02:00, and I need something effective, but quiet. Of course, I can use my smaller caliber airguns, but that limits me to take only headshots. A bodyshot is a little more forgivin

For me, it's silence. I'm pesting raccoons in a residential neighborhood at 02:00, and I need something effective, but quiet. Of course, I can use my smaller caliber airguns, but that limits me to take only headshots. A bodyshot is a little more forgiving.

I hear that,lol. but i have mine for coyote hunting, mounted a picatinny rail, lubed the trigger and put the 3rd washer back in place.

IMG_20220827_194620426 (1).jpg

IMG_20220827_194716930 (1).jpg

I really do not see the "practice" point ? hunting is more of a slow speed shooting as far as prep . so it comes to aim and trajectory . A pellet is no comparison to a PB bullet of the same caliber .
Your right, But it shows that you don't need that much power to get the job done and that's only a 25 cal PB have pass thru, no tracking that pig, LOL nice shot.

Some of you guys must be hard of hearing. Or have one hell of a big backyard! I have several big bores. AND THEY AINT QUITE! Maybe the30s and 35s are. But my 45sand50s aren’t. At least not with 400 or 500 plus FPE. I have Donny’s and or Neil’s on all of them Too. I have had both shoulders repaired twice each. The low impact of the air rifle verses my 270 or even the muzzle loader is the reason I like them. I have a few slug guns that sit in the cabinet. I even jumped on the bandwagon and got a 350 legdene. But I still prefer the air guns. Even my rabbit guns are air. And I like making my own slugs that I can shoot forever. Cheep!

Reactions: 357cal
So after sitting for x days and two deer at 100-150 yards, what do you want to trust your family's meat supply to? Sportsmen hunt for the sport of it and will likely donate the meat.
Why would you take a close-range tool to a hunting spot where long range is required? As a fellow Hoosier that's hunted various critters deer among them for over 30 years now, I have to say. It hasn't been all that long ago that what we were limited to for deer hunting didn't have much if any better range than these newer high performance big bores.

Reactions: 357cal
Why would you take a close-range tool to a hunting spot where long range is required? As a fellow Hoosier that's hunted various critters deer among them for over 30 years now, I have to say. It hasn't been all that long ago that what we were limited to for deer hunting didn't have much if any better range than these newer high performance big bores.
I'm not sure what you're calling long range. I was shooting an inline muzzle loader 300+ yards back when we were shotgun only. Many others were using high powered rifle cartridges in a handgun.
A 357 mag. or .44 rifle will out preform any airgun in a lot smaller package and at a far less cost.
So an airgun offers nothing more than the experience of killing a deer with an airgun. A sporting opportunity for that class of hunter.

I'm not sure what you're calling long range. I was shooting an inline muzzle loader 300+ yards back when we were shotgun only. Many others were using high powered rifle cartridges in a handgun.
A 357 mag. or .44 rifle will out preform any airgun in a lot smaller package and at a far less cost.
So an airgun offers nothing more than the experience of killing a deer with an airgun. A sporting opportunity for that class of hunter.
Where I live,You are not going to get even a 200 yard shot! So why would I need that much pass thru, most of that energy keeps going even thru your pray,with a air gun, I can dump all that energy in the pray. How much are your box of bullets for a 357 ? I pay 25 maybe at the very most 30 bucks and I can shoot all day and then some. You can get air guns that will outperform that shot gun.

If you live in a semi rural area, it's possible to backyard shoot an air rifle (even if you need a DonnyFL).

So you can get a lot of practice with the same gun you'll use in the field.
This is my reason. I sharpen my shooting skills before hunting to ensure I make the right shot. From there, Field Target is a natural sidestep to join the competition side which I practice in my suburban backyard as well. No need to go to a range for anything.

My point was why take an air rifle to a spot where it's range limits would be a hinderance.