For Hunters, Why use Big bore Pcps over Firearms

I have to say this thread has been an entertaining one to read. I believe airguns are great tools in any hunter's arsenal, but hearing people's rational against the use of airguns is always interesting to me. I think the way to think of it is inverting the argument for small bore...i.e. rename the thread "Why use small bore pcps over Firearms" or even "Why use Firearms over Airguns" or "Why bows are better than airguns" and ad infinitum. My point being every tool in a hunter's arsenal has a purpose subjective to that individual. I might prefer a .25 Escape for cayote hunting while my friend Billy likes to use a firearm and my other friend Ashley likes to use a Crossbow. The rational for one tool vs another is always subjective to the hunter, and any arguments against one specific tool like an airgun being used for big game or small game is usually made from either fear, ignorance, or just a subjective, qualitative preference.

Just my 2 cents,
-Atlas

I’m in the same boat as the OP. Love airguns and have contemplated a big bore for awhile and I just can’t pull the trigger. I just think like electric vehicles there is just a limit. To me some of these big bores that require a ton of air to fill for just a shot or two are kind of like the Ford f150 lightning. Seems pretty cool until you have to pull a trailer and then 45 minutes into your trip need a recharge. Lol. I would want one for deer but it’s just easier to grab my 44 magnum Ruger carbine rifle. Maybe one day I will come around but for now airguns certainly have a niche for me but it’s in light plinking fun.

Reactions: Squack
I have to say this thread has been an entertaining one to read. I believe airguns are great tools in any hunter's arsenal, but hearing people's rational against the use of airguns is always interesting to me. I think the way to think of it is inverting the argument for small bore...i.e. rename the thread "Why use small bore pcps over Firearms" or even "Why use Firearms over Airguns" or "Why bows are better than airguns" and ad infinitum. My point being every tool in a hunter's arsenal has a purpose subjective to that individual. I might prefer a .25 Escape for cayote hunting while my friend Billy likes to use a firearm and my other friend Ashley likes to use a Crossbow. The rational for one tool vs another is always subjective to the hunter, and any arguments against one specific tool like an airgun being used for big game or small game is usually made from either fear, ignorance, or just a subjective, qualitative preference.

Just my 2 cents,
-Atlas
I think its mostly ignorance, I don't mean this in a bad way, not many people outside the airgun world knows just how accurate and powerful the air guns of today really are.

I think its mostly ignorance, I don't mean this in a bad way, not many people outside the airgun world knows just how accurate and powerful the air guns of today really are.
For me, it's the size comparison. An airgun needs a relatively long barrel to meet the state requirement of 400 fpe. (I have no interest in larger than .45.) I also see most airgunners using a tripod with their rig.

Last edited:
i guess it really is the challenge. I pretty much lost intrest in deer hunting with a PB. Not too hard to kill a nice buck out back. Been watching 9 different ones this year. The wife took a picture of a doe yesterday. It jumped up in her flower box eating carrot tops. Funny thing is, I let my friend hunt my place opening day While I head north to hunt with my brothers for opening week. If I even see a doe up there, I am happy.

639755BE-D858-4E4A-8CFD-968040D57969.jpeg

6BB61E18-F866-44C6-8E51-7CBA00978274.jpeg

Reactions: 357cal