Foster Fitting QD Sizes?

I really don’t know much about the types and sizes of the components used to make various fill assemblies. I looked up some 1/4 NPTF male QD foster fittings, but I’m unsure if the QD female foster fittings that we’re used to using will fit these safely and correctly. I’d like to find a source based in U.S.

I’ve located this older thread, but I’m looking for additional info.

Last edited:
Wonder if this is the type of fitting.

Allen

@Healthservices Wow! That’s very close to what I’m looking for. Have you used this vendor before?

I need one of these.

https://www.uswaterrescue.com/products/ad-24-scuba-adapter-scubapro-male-bc-to-1-4-male-npt?_pos=2&_psq=¼"+NPT+male+to&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Or one of these?

Last edited:
Ezana4CE --=--

Try Milton Air Compressor Products. Not ALL of the fittings are USA made, but most are.

MIke

Sorry Mike but unless it specifically states a rating for the high pressures we use on our airguns I would never buy a fitting that is made for low pressure air tools. 160 psi hose that whips around is maybe a bit scary when the fitting breaks. I sure don't want to be around when that fitting breaks at 4500 psi.

Allen

Looking at the Milton site it looks like 300 psi is the max pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: grackleblast
Sorry Mike but unless it specifically states a rating for the high pressures we use on our airguns I would never buy a fitting that is made for low pressure air tools. 160 psi hose that whips around is maybe a bit scary when the fitting breaks. I sure don't want to be around when that fitting breaks at 4500 psi.

Allen

Looking at the Milton site it looks like 300 psi is the max pressure.
@Healthservices I noticed that many fittings on that site were rated for 300 psi, but thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: Healthservices
@Healthservices Wow! That’s very close to what I’m looking for. Have you used this vendor before?

I need one of these.

https://www.uswaterrescue.com/products/ad-24-scuba-adapter-scubapro-male-bc-to-1-4-male-npt?_pos=2&_psq=¼"+NPT+male+to&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Or one of these?

The vendor looks fine, no experience with them but target audience is serious. Things to keep in mind foster diameter is 5/16 (.312 really .306-.309 and Chinese fittings are 8mm (.315 really .308-.312) which is Foster females don't fit Chinese males. The Foster company (original designer of this fitting) only rates them to 4500 psi in stainless. The balls on the female dent the rib on the male due to high pressure. This is why factory Fosters females have 6 balls. Chinese fittings have 3, 4, 5 and 6 if you are lucky. The best male fittings are heat treated steel from Ninja. If you want the Foster male to 1/4 NPT Male you may be better off getting a Ninja foster male and 1/8npt to 1/4 npt stainless reducer. https://www.mcmaster.com/51205K342/

Reactions: Ezana4CE
The OP didn't state whether or not the QD was high pressure and when I looked at the provided link, it also didn't state (?), unless I missed it.
In general, the .25" QD's are for low pressure. So, my thought was that the QD was for the low-pressure incoming air. My bad.

Mike
Sorry if it seem like I was talking down on you. With all the fittings available out there I just did not want anyone to get hurt.
20240716_220326.jpg

I actually have some of the Milton lower pressure fittings for my shop tools but hesitant to use them as the ones I got were aluminum and I question the durability.

Allen

Ezana4CE, I have not delt with this company before, but I wanted to point to a company that sells the fitting rated for high pressure. Just because the fittings will thread on does not mean it will work in a safe matter.

Allen
Any time you are working with HIGH pressure ANYTHING (air, water, hydraulics) you better be very safety conscious because it is not very forgiving when something bad happens.

Reactions: Healthservices
I would like to call to your attention this my story.
In the beginning I was buying all kind of PCP fittings once here once there, and ended up with any kind of mix and match.
And I figure where my troubles actually started.
The dimensional differences also a headache managing orings to seal between foster fittings and quick disconnects.
The main issue starts here, especially when you already got your collection from different sources.

fittings.JPG

Get your digital caliper and measure for yourself.
When I realized, I started buying all in sets from a single source.

20220728_203339.jpg

M10 - BSPP - NPT fittings, using same size orings interchangeable in between ....

20220728_203551.jpg

From my airguns to YH compressor, inline regulator, for all connections everything in one place

The OP didn't state whether or not the QD was high pressure and when I looked at the provided link, it also didn't state (?), unless I missed it.
In general, the .25" QD's are for low pressure. So, my thought was that the QD was for the low-pressure incoming air. My bad.

Mike
@Revoman The fitting(s) are to be used in an external reg. I’d like them to be able to handle 5000-6000 psi in the event that I decide to use N2. I’m undecided on if I’d like the outlet fitting to be male or female.

The vendor looks fine, no experience with them but target audience is serious. Things to keep in mind foster diameter is 5/16 (.312 really .306-.309 and Chinese fittings are 8mm (.315 really .308-.312) which is Foster females don't fit Chinese males. The Foster company (original designer of this fitting) only rates them to 4500 psi in stainless. The balls on the female dent the rib on the male due to high pressure. This is why factory Fosters females have 6 balls. Chinese fittings have 3, 4, 5 and 6 if you are lucky. The best male fittings are heat treated steel from Ninja. If you want the Foster male to 1/4 NPT Male you may be better off getting a Ninja foster male and 1/8npt to 1/4 npt stainless reducer. https://www.mcmaster.com/51205K342/
@Sergey1972 I just checked my fittings. I have a ¼”NPT to ⅛” BSP (male to male) reducer already. So a ⅛” BSP foster fitting capable of handling 5000-6000 psi is all I really need. I was also looking at a ¼” NPT (male) to ⅛” NPT (female) bushing. Have you or anyone else ever used this sort of bushing on an extreme pressure application (air or gas)?