Tuning FPE for whitetail ethical dispatch?

All I have experience with is .510 with solid and hollow points in weights ranging from lightest at 450 grain to 650 gr at 750 to 860 fps...In the chest or shoulder. Mixed results. Consistently... They can run a mile with .510 hole through the chest..pass.through no blood trail...Hollow points zero blood like magic no pass.throughs. Either dead 30 yards or run a mile or live another day.. I'm handicap and can't wound and track deer.for miles...So regardless of big bore and foot pounds if you don't break. The spine its a crapshoot... Subsonic 300 blackout have mixed results hunting subsonic..for.comparison... Speed kills...Subsonic is cool and quiet... But not deadly like 3000 fps plus....
Can I ask how you get a complete .510 caliber pass through and have NO blood trail? A double lung shot should be spewing out an awful lot of blood spray.
I understand the speed kills comment. 3000 fps is packing an incredible shockwave compared to 800 fps.
Thx
Ray

Can I ask how you get a complete .510 caliber pass through and have NO blood trail? A double lung shot should be spewing out an awful lot of blood spray.
I understand the speed kills comment. 3000 fps is packing an incredible shockwave compared to 800 fps.
Thx
Ray
I swear.to.god.they won't bleed.with two .510 holes clean. Through.. The good shots.where they are 30 yards and dead no blood where they are laying. So even dead 50 yards broke the neck no blood...they are slow.and clean lol. I have recovered slugs..they look awesome just like Mr hollow points... I tell truth from experience... Sorry they kill but its a.way different animal...

I swear.to.god.they won't bleed.with two .510 holes clean. Through.. The good shots.where they are 30 yards and dead no blood where they are laying. So even dead 50 yards broke the neck no blood...they are slow.and clean lol. I have recovered slugs..they look awesome just like Mr hollow points... I tell truth from experience... Sorry they kill but its a.way different animal...
.510 muzzloaders. wound a lot of.deer.with little to no blood.trails..black powder.. Same deal.as.us...same lead slugs of pure lead...black powder faster.than pcp.big bore...nothing.new under the.sun😀

I swear.to.god.they won't bleed.with two .510 holes clean. Through.. The good shots.where they are 30 yards and dead no blood where they are laying. So even dead 50 yards broke the neck no blood...they are slow.and clean lol. I have recovered slugs..they look awesome just like Mr hollow points... I tell truth from experience... Sorry they kill but its a.way different anima
Not doubting you. I've seen deer shot with everything from 30-30's to 280's and if the shot is crappy there would be maybe a tiny bit of hair but no blood.
I would have thought with a two holes 1/2 inch in diameter on both sides of a deer there would be blood, or so you would think. Guess it's all in where the slug and or bullet enters and exits.

Thx
Ray

I shot a seven point buck with a .44 mag pistol a few years back. It was a pass through, both lungs. It went maybe 60 yards and piled up. And that 60 yards had plenty of blood spray and lung matter splattered all over stuff so trailing it would have been a walk in the park.
But not every shot works out like we want.
Thx
Ray

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I shot a seven point buck with a .44 mag pistol a few years back. It was a pass through, both lungs. It went maybe 60 yards and piled up. And that 60 yards had plenty of blood spray and lung matter splattered all over stuff so trailing it would have been a walk in the park.
But not every shot works out like we want.
Thx
Ray
I think my slow 800 fps.to.860 fps is the problem... I'm sure your 44mag had a lol speed😀 .My big silly Texan is just a over sized 22 lr 😂 with more recoil lol

Reactions: Hal4son
I think my slow 800 fps.to.860 fps is the problem... I'm sure your 44mag had a lol speed😀 .My big silly Texan is just a over sized 22 lr 😂 with more recoil lol
I think I remember it being 240 grains and right around 970 FPE at the muzzle. But a lot of bang for the buck :D
And RECOIL for D-A-Y-S-!!!!!!!!!
Muzzle flip was a doozy.
Thx
Ray

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Headshots, I don't understand why people don't go for headshots. Doesn't ruin meat, they don't run....
here's 90 yard headshot on a squirrel....deer are bigger so no reason not to. headshots = drt https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/head-shot-thread.1312648/post-1779147

85 yard headshot on a sparrow https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/head-shot-thread.1312648/post-1776694

Nothin but headshots
I think about headshots but an inch or two off and you can blow its face off. Now you have a wounded deer that will die a slow death due to not being able to eat. If I was hunting for my survival I would do it but I would rather wait for a vitals shot.

I knew a guy who years back took a head shot on a deer and the deer moved it's head and he ended up shooting its bottom jaw off :rolleyes:
He had to shoot it again. In my honest opinion it was a stupid shot to try and make. But to each his own. He claims he had shot quite a few deer in the head before. Guess that was just his off day.
Thx
Ray

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I knew a guy who years back took a head shot on a deer and the deer moved it's head and he ended up shooting its bottom jaw off :rolleyes:
He had to shoot it again. In my honest opinion it was a stupid shot to try and make. But to each his own. He claims he had shot quite a few deer in the head before. Guess that was just his off day.
Thx
Ray

No. It happens all the time. I have tracked and taken down many deer that guys have tried to headshoot. It's usually a mess.

If you try that on a guided hunt they will send you back to camp. Headshots have always been unethical as long as I have been hunting big game.

Just fine for pests and vermin but something that won't be tolerated with game. Ask a game warden about it. Talk to a hunting guide or outfitter. They can tell you all about guys taking headshots and the results they get.

We have CWD in the deer population. It is a disease spread by damaging the brain and spinal tissues. Most western states advise against damaging the nervous system in any way when harvesting and processing deer. Another darn good reason to not shoot a deer in the head.

Last edited:
Thx
Ray
I've been hunting whitetail for 46 years now, got a late start at 17 years old. I've killed near 200 hunting, and over 400 in just a couple years on depradation permits, 20 every time I went out, it's the number that fit in the small reefer I had access to in order to take them to the food bank . I will not hunt with anyone that thinks it is ok to take a head shot on a deer. Do the math on a PB doing 3000 fps at the muzzle, lock time, barrel time, and bullet flight time. 30 yards away and a head shot can get damn ugly with a head turn/bob that can happen at any time. It is wrong in my opinion with a 3000 fps pb, I have seen dozens of bad outcomes from idiots that think different. On pests/destructive animals around my home, I don't care, I'm just killing a problem animal and won't pass a shot that is safe to take. On animals I hunt, I take care and pass on shots regularly.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I've found a good neck shot drops them in their tracks and I prefer a facing shot as I aim for the white spot on the neck it always hits the spine, I dropped a doe at 69 yards with my Badger 40cal an a Mr. Hollow point 185gr slug but I really like them under 50 yards, I hunt deer with my Texan Like I hunt with my crossbow 50 yards or less but that's just me.

Reactions: mackeral5
The neck shot.is more.important than caliber and foot pounds!!!!!! Its not A gaurnteed deal with subsonic slugs unless you break the spine😀 You are wise my friend......
There is significant area there with no spine if your shot is off a bit. I’m just not using a weapon that I’m relying on neck or head shots. If one in the heart lung area won’t do it I am using the wrong gun. At that point I will stick with my bow.

There is significant area there with no spine if your shot is off a bit. I’m just not using a weapon that I’m relying on neck or head shots. If one in the heart lung area won’t do it I am using the wrong gun. At that point I will stick with my bow.
You have a good point and I'm not worried about the heart and lung stopping the deer although most don't dropped in there tracks I hate having to trail them as its getting harder each year for me to get them out by myself, so far the neck shot has worked for me but there's always a first time.

You have a good point and I'm not worried about the heart and lung stopping the deer although most don't dropped in there tracks I hate having to trail them as its getting harder each year for me to get them out by myself, so far the neck shot has worked for me but there's always a first time.
Yeah tracking can be a pain. They never run towards the car or truck lol. The last deer I shot was with a compound bow. I was back in about 3/4 of a mile. Luckily I watched him expire so he didn’t go far but still had to drag him all that ways. It was my wife , step son and I. I thought I was dead when we got back to the truck. Anymore being I have long hikes to find them on state land, if it isn’t going up on the wall it is passed up. Haven’t shot one since that deer in 2017.

Yeah tracking can be a pain. They never run towards the car or truck lol. The last deer I shot was with a compound bow. I was back in about 3/4 of a mile. Luckily I watched him expire so he didn’t go far but still had to drag him all that ways. It was my wife , step son and I. I thought I was dead when we got back to the truck. Anymore being I have long hikes to find them on state land, if it isn’t going up on the wall it is passed up. Haven’t shot one since that deer in 2017.

We pack in several miles for deer. Sometimes a couple miles for elk.

We don't drag anything back. It all gets skinned, backstrapped down the ribs and quartered. Everything in a quality game bag and cooled before it goes in a pack.

We don't even gut them anymore until I get the tenderloin and liver. Just skin them and quarter them with the gut bag intact.

A big deer is easy for 2 guys to carry. The rack is the worst part to pack. I wrap the head and ears in plastic to keep ticks from crawling on me.

Bones, hooves hide and offal gets left at the kill site. Dust to dust.

Elk take two guys a couple trips. We do it exactly the same. The mileage to the truck x3 is your packing distance for 2 guys. The rack is a huge pain and the only difficult carry.

It's better than dragging it all to the truck and then hauling half of it back to the dump. And even a big deer will fit in an ice chest two guys can easily carry to the truck.

The meat cools faster when you get that hide off and the quarters in a cloth bag too. It's the only way a guy can get very far from his vehicle and not have a huge packing problem.