Fun Bell Type Targets

IMG_1147.1637529471.jpg
Here are a couple of bell type targets I use. The target on the left has an aluminum face so the holes are surrounded by steel washers. Hole sizes are 1" ,3/4" ,5/8",1/2" and 3/8". Used from 25 yards out to 50 yards. Pretty hard on the smaller holes at 50 yards.

The target on the right has 2 each 3/8" holes , 3 each 1/2" holes one 7/16" hole, one 5/8" hole and one 3/4" hole. I usually shoot at this target at 20 yards because our winds here have been ranging from 10 mph to 30 mph. Hitting all holes with a scoped rifle is easy, not so easy with open or receiver sights.

The "bells" are 7 1/2" circular saw blades. They ring very loudly.

Those are really nice targets. I've been using bell targets for years but most of mine are crude..... just going to get shot a lot.😉

20211119_102144.1637591518.jpg

The squirrel is a 10" saw blade donated by a professional cabinet maker. It has held up to thousands of shots with no dents yet. Some were from 50+ ft lb rifles but usually at 50+ yards. The face has been hammered flat a couple of times and I finally backed it up with a heavy steel plate. I use them sometimes in matches that we host but always are out on my range. The rabbit was made by a man in CA but can't remember his name. My favorite is the small one with the 2" slice of 2" x 8" rectangular steel tube. It has a very nice tone and is fairly loud plus will stand up to 9mm pistol cartridges. I have more but no pics yet. 

A word on the saw blades... the one above is amazing but I made a multi hole target with a 10" blade not too different from yours for a friend. First time on the range we set it at 100 yds and were shooting it with various 22 and 25 cal air rifles. Shot through the blade in a small number of shots plus everywhere it was hit was a huge dent. On the one, thousands of shots, on the other, less than 50 and it was done. BIG differences in the blade steel.

I also made this as a practice target. I use it quite a bit but sub 20 ft lb.

20211119_102214.1637592438.jpg

5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 1/2". You shoot through the hole and it latches the flag up so you can see that you hit. Pull the string or shoot the big paddle to reset.

I would rather shoot these things for most of my practice than paper. The wife likes paper more.

Fun stuff !!

Bob

I have a bell from a boxing event, it was Ronny Hawkins, he got “The Band’ together back in the 60’s. They were Ronny Hawkins and the Hawks (Robbie Robertson- Rick Danko etc. Ronny was a pro boxer, I had this dam bell for 30 yrs. Now it has a new purpose. Looked for 15 min. today, no luck, I think it will work perfectly when I find it. Thanks Great ideas! Crow