N/A Future of HP PCP guns?

Well i am also not too big on the digi guns, but if i want to shoot in darkness at least that part will have to go digital.
The REG gauge, well it is a fab and i can always put the analog one back on the rifle

Regarding didiscopes i have wondered about a few things.

1: Why dont they have more optical zoom, my CCTV camera have 30 X optical zoom, with a little digital on top of that ( 1440 p sensor ) , i get crazy close to things i aim my PTZ camera at. 4 K sensor would let me go even more digital before it turn into blockoland.
2: Why are image quality, even just daylight lagging so much, when after all the sensor in the scopes are top notch tuff
On the latter i can only assume the companies are not utilizing the hardware enough, like i have seen i dashcams for ages, some will sell cameras with pretty rudimentary optimizations on it, pretty much just what the maker of the SOC is giving them.

In dashcams at least there is a difference in between the companies that try, and a huge difference to the companies that dont try very much.

1) Cost
2) Cost + processing power

Anything digital will come with some kind of input lag, until that input lag is well below the threshold the human brain can perceive, your second point will be fairly common, and at entry level costs, that'll be far too long opposed to as @JaceSpace1369 mentioned, you hit the $3-4,000 mark, and even those scopes will be obsolete in short time compared to the quality of glass from analog scopes. If we had NASA develop a digital scope with no corners cut, we'd be $10-$20k deep, but they'd solve #1 and #2 for ya!

-Matt

Yes you can often run a strong image chip on a weak SOC, just to claim you got the image sensor.
But most often you will see companies run a lesser sensor, and then on chip upscale to 4K output, this often given away by a 25 FPS frame rate.
But a 4K output do not give you the image fidelity when it is captured on a 1080 or 1440p image sensor.
Long list of dashcam brand / models with fake 4K

I have thru the years often upscaled dashcam videos, CUZ somehow youtube seem to be kinder to 4K footage VS the absolute raw 1080 or 1440p footage.
But it do not make it look better, just play better after youtube done their recompression,,,,, not least if you have H.264, if you feed them H.265 or what i would like to see AV1 it would be better, my GFX card have hardware AV1 encoder for that, just no software i have support that yet.

My PC easy handle four 4K H.265 videos ( windowed ) on my 1440p screen, i remember years ago with one of the first H.265 cameras i got, trying to play that on my sisters low end dual core laptiop,,,,, the damn thing almost let out a audible sigh before it folded.
So as i was house-sitting i had to leave the house and 2 dogs drive 30 km home to look at the footage on my PC.

Current PC old ( 4-5 years ) 12 core threadripper - just 48Gb RAM as 16Gb died on me, and newest hardware AMD 7800XT GFX card.

BTW i have watched some people review digicams, and they do not do a good job of handling it, and not understanding the subject of low light photography / videography .

Most cameras will go very noisy image if you let ISO spike too high to cope with low light, adding more light ( IR ) do the trick, well on my CCTV camera at least.
And not least when i zoom in a lot, CUZ optical zoom even if the numbers of glass do not change it do feel as if OMG suddenly you loose a lot of light.

AS a matter of fact a decade agi i player around with putting cameras on a scope, and also DIY active NVG, and on the scope, you for sure needed the most sensitive sensors to see anything when the cheap Hawek scope was cranked to 24 X zoom, it was like putting sunglasses on the damn thing.

Too bad i lost my old recordings as i abandoned the original youtube i had since before google bought it. many hours of video lost in that move.

Today things like on chip de-noise ASO have come about, and in phones pixel binning to make up larger and so more light sensitive pixels.
you can also do some in post but, it is still a turn you are polishing then

They do have a sleep function, after powering on, if you simply soft press the power button it goes into sleep mode...

I gotcha, he mentioned that he realized it does have one. The sightmarks I have on the otber hand, do not have sleep mode functions, and if they are I have no clue what combination of buttons it would be lol

I've been using a Mini Wraith 2x16 for a year now. It is a great scope unless you are looking into bright area's. The glare is terrible. At night it works great. As far as batteries the Wraith really needs power. You need the Axillary battery they make to make it viable. I too would rather keep things simple but sometimes you have to compromise. As far as electronic triggers are concerned they are far from new. They have used them on target pistols for decades.

I found the valve discussion fascinating. The cad system on the demonstration was great. I had a few seminars in Solid Works years ago that would run a design to failure but that looked nothing like the second demo. What is the advantage of accessing atmospheric air. Does it allow the plenum area to dump air faster?

1000000079.jpg

Last edited:
While not practical for most and I know very little about them... There was at least one pcp rifle that used hpa cartridges of some sort. Would be kind of neat to see more become available, just not sure there'd be a big market for them.

Had to look it up, was the Air Ordnance MODOC. A bit of a tangent on this thread, but a neat concept.

Last edited:
I've been using a Mini Wraith 2x16 for a year now. It is a great scope unless you are looking into bright area's. The glare is terrible. At night it works great. As far as batteries the Wraith really needs power. You need the Axillary battery they make to make it viable. I too would rather keep things simple but sometimes you have to compromise. As far as electronic triggers are concerned they are far from new. They have used them on target pistols for decades.

I found the valve discussion fascinating. The cad system on the demonstration was great. I had a few seminars in Solid Works years ago that would run a design to failure but that looked nothing like the second demo. What is the advantage of accessing atmospheric air. Does it allow the plenum area to dump air faster?

View attachment 499647
Have you tried adjusting the brightness? I had that issue with the 4k max until I adjusted the brightness and contract and it literally made a night and day difference. I uave the 4k and non 4k and I thought something was wrong with the 4k due to it not working well in bright daylight but that fixed my issue. I looked into the axillary battery but they didnt have any in stock.