FWB FWB 124d

I just got in a FWB 124d that I took a chance on and bought from an ebay seller. It does have a few very minor stock dings , as expected on a 50 year old gun, judging by serial number 40xx, FWB confirmed it was made in 1975. It had a muzzle, barrel cover on which I did not care for, and taped it off with a brass punch, so no damage to blueing which is pristine. I installed a globe front and a Williams receiver sight and took it out and fired a couple of shots, Did not hit anything but my larger pellet trap. It is still misty off that hurricaine that just hit the Louisiana coast, so will probably set up a rest and target and see about getting it zeroed tomorrow. Seller said it had new seals and a Maccari kit installed. Sounds good and firing cycle is smooth. Stock does not look like most beech stocks I have seen, more like walnut, some very nice grain and figure. I spotted this one last Friday and was suprised that no one else bid on it. Seller took the metal out of the stock to ship, and really did a good job of packing it. Fitted a piece of pvc pipe to the receiver to cover the trigger, then reattached the trigger guard and made a small spacer where the wood screw fastens to stock, and zip tied that end, then fitted some stiff foam around that area and taped it shut tightly, then bubble wrap around the metal work, and stock with dense foam fillers in a box so nothing could move. Probably could have run over it with a car and not caused any damage.

Mine is 52089 bought in 1983. It is the deluxe model but the stock isn’t dark enough to be walnut, at least not black walnut. It has the color of oak and the grain/rays of walnut. I never really thought about what kind of wood it is. There, I could type all day and nobody would have a clue, here is the picture, give me your thoughts!
image.jpg

Very nice looking 124 . Congrats. I’m a big 124/127 fan myself. Enjoy that classic!
I plan on it, my other one which I purchased early 1975 has a rather plain looking stock, It is beech but looks like quarter sawed wood, very straight grain. Sometime years ago I got scratched rather badly so I stripped and refinished it, so it has more a matt or satin finish. I did have at one time one of the Beeman scopes on it, and about 4 years ago when I had to have it reworked, I took it off and went back to the receiver sight, I find it handles much better , the stock made more for iron sights than scopes.

Reactions: fishing43
No, I bought it mail order from Robert Law's company in West Virginia. Funny, even though I live in California, I only found out about Beemans later. At one time ,Beeman sold FWB's that ARH had imported,
Thanks for the reply:
The reason for asking is that according to https://www.beemans.net/beeman_predecessors.htm
Robert Beeman claimed to have "exclusive distribution contracts with most of the overseas airgun makers", and that Beemans "made a special deal with Bob Law to sell him whatever he wanted, at our landed volume costs (lower than what his prices for small direct orders would have been), for as long as he wished to continue to deal with customers."

This made me wonder if Bob Law was actually forced to buy airguns from BPA and that ARH was therefore selling Beeman-stamped FWB 124 series by 1979.

Reactions: Bandito
Mine is 52089 bought in 1983. It is the deluxe model but the stock isn’t dark enough to be walnut, at least not black walnut. It has the color of oak and the grain/rays of walnut. I never really thought about what kind of wood it is. There, I could type all day and nobody would have a clue, here is the picture, give me your thoughts!View attachment 495480
Definitely Beech. Beautiful rays give it away.

Reactions: 450BM and Bandito
I got a nice stock for one. Turkish walnut marble cake and fiddleback. For when I get 'round to it. That there's some walnut!
Dry, and wetted with mineral spirits
Will need a grip cap and checkered. Will I cut the checkers? Maybe. I have a little practice. And I've repaired some a few times over the years. I think I can. A simple pattern. I've already drawn it out on paper. That's half of it. A plan, some experience, and confidence.

s-l1600.jpg

Congrats to the OP's latest acquisition. I'm a fan of the old 124 Sport and the recently discontinued, unfairly maligned by some, modern FWB Sport.

The 124 started off in life as a humble Standard model because I couldn't afford the extra $35 Beeman charged for the Deluxe. When I got a slightly better paying job, I splurged and bought one of his extra select walnut stocks. That was over 40 years ago. :eek:

FWB 124 and Sport SN 12400552 - 1.JPG
FWB 124 and Sport  SN 12400552- 2.JPG
FWB 124 and Sport SN 12400552 - 3.JPG

Last edited: