Looking at the close up photo of left hand grip which shows cocking lever pivot, It does appear that the screw which is accessible from the bottom, after removing the grip has backed out. I do not yet have a 65, but have an 80 and that screw should be tightned so it is up in a recess and is hidden from side view. In you picture it is definetly contacting the frame. Remove the grips and tightned it,

Reactions: Bandito
Jkingrph - yes access, that was the key word I overlooked….
Thanks for your observation!
All right now.
BBB82693-CCF4-4B08-B43A-6B39CB1729EC.jpeg

Jkingrph - yes access, that was the key word I overlooked….
Thanks for your observation!
All right now.
View attachment 336718
That looks better, more like mine, except for the gouge. I would watch that and if it starts backing out again, clean the threads and use some med strength loctite one it

I just got an old FWB 65 in yesterday afternoon, Shoots good and strong, but I see some signs of that blue conical seal going bad, so may need to have it serviced. It's very accurate, so am happy. I had my doubts about those sport grips, in pictures they just look small for the frame, but found them to be very comfortable and fit good. I have a FWB 80 also with the full target grips and think I might like these sport grips better.

Jkingrph - yes, there is a small rubber ball meant to take the beat from the spring loaded piston. Maybe it has collapsed after hundreds, if not thousands of shots…..
This one was an ebay purchase. The seller acknowledged that he knew nothing about them and that it seemed to shoot hard. I chronographed it about 430fps so no problem there. I did notice tiny particles in the breech and some deterioration of the conical blue seal so decided to check. Mr Slade emailed me this morning and said not to shoot it any more as without that piston buffer it might induce more damage to a bear trap, and increase repair cost, so I packed it up and sent it out.

When looking at pictures posted by the seller it looked to be probably 90-95% condition, no blueing wear no scratches, just some discolored areas on the stippling of the grips which were grayish white. I cleaned that with mineral spirits and a toothbrush, then applied some colored shoe polish followed by clear and the grips look great now. I think it will be a good shooter when I get it back, I did purchase it anticipating the need for new seals and possibly a spring, so no surprise there.

yeah, seems to me that you have got your self a fine classic gun there JKing.
Yes, I think so. I wanted to purchase one 40-45 years ago, but had just gotten off active duty with the USAF, bought a new house, and was raising a young son, so put it on the back burner. Then there was college and law school for the son, so I just stayed with a FWB 124d and a 300s I had bought earlier. I guess you could say I am playing catch up in my old age, at least I will have some nice ones to pass on to my grandson as he seems to have an interest.

This one was an ebay purchase. The seller acknowledged that he knew nothing about them and that it seemed to shoot hard. I chronographed it about 430fps so no problem there. I did notice tiny particles in the breech and some deterioration of the conical blue seal so decided to check. Mr Slade emailed me this morning and said not to shoot it any more as without that piston buffer it might induce more damage to a bear trap, and increase repair cost, so I packed it up and sent it out.

When looking at pictures posted by the seller it looked to be probably 90-95% condition, no blueing wear no scratches, just some discolored areas on the stippling of the grips which were grayish white. I cleaned that with mineral spirits and a toothbrush, then applied some colored shoe polish followed by clear and the grips look great now. I think it will be a good shooter when I get it back, I did purchase it anticipating the need for new seals and possibly a spring, so no surprise there.
I just got this one back from Mr Slade. shoots great, In the meantime I found another also looks pristine outside, but when you cock it the seals look to be toast so it goes ff Monday. Spent quite a bit on these lately, but can have some fun with my son and grandson now. I saw one on ebay, a short barrel model with a Leupold scope mounted that went for about $1100, I considered bidding earlier, but it was getting too rich for my blood.

I took both of these and really cleaned the grips. Found a fine brass brush with some lacquer thinner did a good job on the stippling, then some fine steel wool on the smooth parts. Once clean and dry a couple of applications of Birchwood Casey Genuine Oil, brought out the grain. They really used some nice wood in the grips in those days. I got the smooth wood surfaces with a nice low semi gloss finish. Put one application on the stippling and blotted it so no visible build up there, just enough to seal the surface. I'm liking this series of guns, just wish I could have afforded them back when they were making them, but just having gotten out of the USAF, buying a new house, and raising a young son took priorites.

Last edited:
Got my hands on this vintage side lever Feinwerkbau pistol in exchange for a Daystate Air Ranger 50. A lovely recoil less pistol with an outstanding trigger. Not to wonder that this pistol was top ranked as a competition pistol in its time. (Not this version with the ordinary grip).
Very accurate pistol, but I will try to mount a small picatinny rail for a red dot sight for my own amusement. This will not ruin the original rail, since there is drilled a hole in it already for a screw.
View attachment 318592

View attachment 318593

View attachment 318594

View attachment 318595

View attachment 318596
The only screw on the top that I see is that large one near the back.. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about these guns can chime in, but I think it holds the rear sight and that rear breech block in place. Unless you know something about the inner workings I would not suggest removing it.

The only screw on the top that I see is that large one near the back.. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about these guns can chime in, but I think it holds the rear sight and that rear breech block in place. Unless you know something about the inner workings I would not suggest removing it.
Yes, that was just what I experienced, so that was no solution. Tried to mount a red dot on the barrel, but the attachment didnt last, so for now that project is on ice so to say...

That might be ok if you wanta smaller red dot type sight. It will take two of those to mount a scope to the barrel. It's going to have to be far enough forward to clear the cocking lever, so I think it will eliminate the possibility of a scope, besides a scope would probably then block your loading port. It may put too much weight forward, although I have mine now equipped with a barrel weight which I like. A scope way forward like that will make it extremely barrel heavy.