Got my hands on this vintage side lever Feinwerkbau pistol in exchange for a Daystate Air Ranger 50. A lovely recoil less pistol with an outstanding trigger. Not to wonder that this pistol was top ranked as a competition pistol in its time. (Not this version with the ordinary grip).
Very accurate pistol, but I will try to mount a small picatinny rail for a red dot sight for my own amusement. This will not ruin the original rail, since there is drilled a hole in it already for a screw.
975957E2-D383-4A4B-84E3-642834B2E2DF.jpeg

09FAC124-28A0-429C-A9D2-2E73222AB9FB.jpeg

8F3CEB51-66B1-483E-A278-3E2F444C9ADB.jpeg

C7D1739A-3A20-4995-A49F-39D93745B096.jpeg

B4497A8B-8495-4F82-958C-7DCD8119FBFB.jpeg

Well Sc0 - this is my only recoilless springer pistol, and I have no intention to undo this mechanism. But, I appreciate the ability to do so. Like a 3 power setting gun - you never use the other two, but a nice feature to have. 😊
Anyhow, thanks for the information. I know very little about this pistol besides what to find on the internet.

Reactions: Bandito and Sc0-
Really a fine pistol you're really going to enjoy that one. I have two. The top one Beeman called a Mk II, it has the shorter barrel. The FWB on the bottom came with the sporter grips that you have. I found the pistol a bit harder to cock with those, the grip tended to try to turn in my hand as I pulled on the cocking lever. So I ordered Rink target grips which is what you see in the picture. I do have to work on that gun to get the trigger adjustment correct.
They should shoot about 425 to 475 fps with 7.0 gr pellets. The several seals for it are readily available. When you cock it you'll see the (usually) blue compression seal. Below that you should see a small rubber bumper or damper. Make sure that is intact, it's important. There's much information available on the internet about how to reseal them. I've done it but found it pretty challenging, I find them to be a pretty complex pistol. Last one that needed it went to Pilkington's for the work. All that said they tend to just work without much attention at all. Really a fun and fascinating pistol, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it!

Jay

IMG_0474.jpeg

Cool, should have a screw hole underneath towards the front that will lockout the recoilless mechanism of you want it to behave more like a firearm.

I have a fwb80, no lockout ability but it's a fine pistol other than being a little awkward to cock for a 60 shot session.
The hole needs both a screw and a plate the prevents the slide from moving.

The 65's are great MKI or MKII. They are the first in the line from FWB in the side lever recoilless pistols. Later came the 80 with 3 weights that can be used in unison, in any combination you choose or none at all. The 80 has and improved trigger over the 65's, later came the 90 which has an electronic trigger.

MKI
39 FWB 65MKI .177.JPG

MKII with barrel weight
43 FWB65 MKII.JPG

80 with all 3 weights
46 FWB 80 1977-83 48,000 .177.JPG

48 FWB90.JPG

Cool, should have a screw hole underneath towards the front that will lockout the recoilless mechanism of you want it to behave more like a firearm.

fwb65 - slide stop.JPG

and you can flip the trigger weight to a PB setting of 1360g

fwb65 - trigger 1360g.JPG

...instead of a more normal airgun setting at 500 gram

fwb65 - trigger 500g.JPG

I love the feel of the recoil less shot cycle, expect an average of 130m/sec (427 fps) from new or with a new spring installed

Edit: and JSB Exact 0,547g/8,44grain pellet

Love the pistol....and anything Feinwerkbau

Repair parts found here:
foest.europa

Last edited:
The FWB on the bottom came with the sporter grips that you have. I found the pistol a bit harder to cock with those, the grip tended to try to turn in my hand as I pulled on the cocking lever.

This will take the strain of your wrist:

Right hand holding grip
Support the barrel against left leg inner thigh
Left hand pulling lever

I have an IZH 46m, a single stroke pneumatic. Fantastic trigger, mine is probably low single digit ounce range, 4-6 oz, accruacy, better than I will ever be and it has a wierd looking cocking system which makes it very easy to cock. I have learned about one little quirk, when you cock a breach block pivots up opening the breech end of the barrel into which you place the pellet. You then close the breech block, if you do not close it you will probably blow out and loose at least one of the two 0 rings that seal the system for firing. You can also dry fire it without charging the air cylinder. just cycle that breach block up and down and it sets the trigger. I got an aftermarket trigger that has a shoe that pivots to fit my finger, much better than stock which is still good. Canadashooting supply has them and they say an additional 12% discount which is not bad. Probably less expensive than a FWB 100 if you can find one. No problem with shipping one from Canada to the US either, at least mine came through very fast.

Well I now have a FWB 65 to go along with my 80, Now my son and I can have stand up matches with the same kind of gun. I may get a set of Rink target grips for it as it has the standard sporter grips, but will see how those feel first.
Very nice. Eventually I’d like to pickup a couple more 65’s for the kids. Super fun for backyard target practice.

Just an observation:

I think your cocking lever pivot screw needs to be tightened as it appears to have worked it’s way down in such a manner that the pistol’s frame is being gouged.
Thanks. Shall see to that. Believe the scratch it is caused by the frame sliding to dampen the recoil....

Reactions: Bandito